3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D

I took my daughter to see Avengers on Sunday. She digs the 3D. I don't go to the cinema a lot, but I have to say that I can't stand the shift to 3D. I feel like I'm at an amusement park rather than watching a film, but a second rate amusement park because there's not actually a ride just the imagery that represents a ride. All this crap flying at me. The Avengers was basically a dumb action film (I say that as someone who does like action films and has enjoyed some of the superhero films) so the 3D wasn't going to make the experience better or worse, but seeing a preview for the new Stars Wars film in 3D really brought home how much I don't like this shift in the cinema experience. The preview for Mission Impossible 28 or whatever number we're up to now seemed far more interesting in its supposedly flat 2D preview. Am I alone with this?

3D

You are not alone. I think it's bollocks.

Comment

3D

It just makes me ill - within five minutes I get throbbing headaches and nausea.

Whether that's down to the fact the glasses don't sit comfortably on my face due to already having a prescription pair of bins on, who knows?

Comment

3D

I quite enjoy the 3D experience at the cinema - as long as the film warrants it. Too often you'll have needless effects simply to justify the format. (I've not seen Avengers - nor do I intend to - but it looks the sort of movie that would fall foul of this.)

Meanwhile, 3D really hasn't taken off on television (again)...

http://thenextweb.com/uk/2015/04/28/skys-3d-channel-will-close-on-june-9-all-content-moving-to-on-demand/

Comment

3D

Three Times A Reddy wrote: It just makes me ill - within five minutes I get throbbing headaches and nausea.

Whether that's down to the fact the glasses don't sit comfortably on my face due to already having a prescription pair of bins on, who knows?
          I would imagine the light loss in a 3D screening (which is estimated to be around 30%) could be causing the headaches, the blurred edges to images/objects too.

I don't think anyone who likes watching films in the cinema (as opposed to people who like going there for an outing) really likes 3D, do they?

There's been films I've only been able to find a 3D screening of like 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Dredd' and it's certainly impaired the experience for me. I'm finally getting to see the new 'Avengers' movie this week (which I am very much looking forward to) and will be trying to hunt out a 2D screening.

I'm not even sure 3D has been that successful in the cinema (though not as much of a bomb as it has been in TV) other than for the cinemas and studios being able to charge a premium for forcing it on people.

Comment

3D

I don't think anyone who likes watching films in the cinema (as opposed to people who like going there for an outing) really likes 3D, do they?
            Apart from me in the previous post.

Comment

3D

I reckon it just looks like layers of 2D.
              Like a punch and Judy show.

The studios are only pushing it because it makes it harder to bootleg films.
              And 3D on telly is rubbish. I once watched a football match in 3D. It was like watching a load of elves running about on a snooker table.

Comment

3D

For most films that's exactly what it is. There are a handful of live action films (and to be fair a lot of animated ones) which actually do "proper" 3D. Even then it's not really worth the downsides.

I quite enjoy watching something like Gravity in IMAX 3D. I'll be glad once this fad is gone though.

Comment

3D

hobbes wrote:
                  And 3D on telly is rubbish. I once watched a football match in 3D. It was like watching a load of elves running about on a snooker table.
                  I tried to watch a Chelsea v Liverpool game in 3D once and got something like motion sickness, had to change pubs at half time to find somewhere showing it properly.

Comment

3D

That might just have been the game though.

Comment

3D

I was hoping someone would hammer that pass in to back of the net #shitonastick.

Comment

3D

Football never quite worked in 3D, it's true - the necessary low angle made it like watching a pop-up book of the game.

Comment

3D

I saw Iron Man 3 in Imax 3D. Like Harry, I experienced something similar to motion sickness. Some of that is age — I can't do roller-coasters anymore but loved them when I was a kid — but mostly I couldn't actually see very much. I've watched several other 3D films and they've been fine, I think it's a matter of kinetic overload: massive screen, 3D image, fast moving imagery. I left feeling like my parents at a Led Zeppelin concert.

Comment

3D

The only time I really enjoyed a movie in 3D was How to Train Your Dragon.

Comment

3D

Yeah, I think it works ok for animation. Certainly better than for live action.
                              You don't get so much of that weird light fringing around objects.

Comment

3D

The only two films I've thought the 3D brought much to were both a mix of live action and extensive CGI, the afore-mentioned 'Gravity' and 'Life of Pi'.

It doesn't bother me as much for animated films but I can't say it enhances the experience either.

Comment

3D

I enjoyed Hugo. Partly because, to an extent, it's about film-making technology, so the 3D process functioned as a kind of commentary on that. But mostly it's because it was directed by someone who knows what makes a movie work, and what doesn't.

Comment

3D

Gravity was good in 3D. I didn't watch again when it was airing on one of the movie channels on my satellite to compare an HD 2D version to seeing it in the cinema in 3D but I don't really know if Gravity is a movie I need to see twice, even though I enjoyed seeing it. I didn't see Avitar at the cinema but when I was talking about my general disappointment with 3D with the missus and my daughter, both said that was the kind of movie made for 3D.

As I think more about this, I think the other reason I dislike this format has to do with something similar to the rise of video. Video never had a quality that was as rich as film and so it was great to see the emergence of DSLR HD options for people to shoot their own stuff (i.e., in the past, one either needed money and access to gear to shoot a good looking film or they had to deal with flat, lower quality images shot on video). To me, 3D looks more like video than film, which defeats the purpose of going to the cinema. But I say all of that and I go the cinema 3-4 times a year, so it's not like I'm a cinephile, just a guy who wants a good looking image when I do go.

Comment

Working...
                                    X