Keith Harris has died at the age of 67.

He'll never fly again

I hate that duck.

Comment

He'll never fly again

Orville orphaned

Comment

He'll never fly again

I'm sure his friend Cuddles the Monkey will take him in and make sure he's all Wright.

Comment

He'll never fly again

This monkey's gone to heaven (stolen joke).

Comment

He'll never fly again

Keith is no m-or(ville)

Comment

He'll never fly again

67 is no age. I'm sure he leaves family and friends who are devastated. His act was fucking shite as far as I'm concerned, and perhaps emblematic of a low point in British TV entertainment, but there must have been loads of kids or whoever that he made laugh. On that basis he achieved more than I likely will. Time to take the piss was when he was alive and working.

Comment

He'll never fly again

Whereas the time to call his act 'f*cking sh*te' is now, of course.

RIP. Commemorate him with a glass of Cold Duck.

Comment

He'll never fly again

At least he was better than Roger de Courcey and Nina fucking Conti.

Comment

He'll never fly again

Not a fan of 'Family Tree' then?

RIP Keith. Ex-Chester fan, you know.

Comment

He'll never fly again

A fitting tribute, albeit predating this sad event -

Comment

He'll never fly again

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Not a fan of 'Family Tree' then?

RIP Keith. Ex-Chester fan, you know.
                        I was working in a Great Mills in Chester when I heard Rod Hull had died. Apparently (I was out the back) it was Keith Harris who came in and broke the news to everybody whilst popping in for some raw plugs, or something.

That's a bit like being informed that John Lennon had died by Mick Jagger.

RIP.

Comment

He'll never fly again

According to the BBC, Keith Harris hosted The Keith Harris Show.

"Keith, we've got a gig that you might be a good fit for..."

Comment

He'll never fly again

There were a lot of people on television in my youth who I remember as one-trick ponies (I’m not saying they really did only have one specific talent; I’m saying that’s how I remember them):

- Keith Harris = made a cuddly duck ‘talk’
                            - Roger de Courcey = made a cuddly bear ‘talk’
                            - Stanley Unwin = spoke gibberish
                            - Norman Collier = pretended his microphone was broken
                            - Bernie Clifton = pretended he was riding an ostrich
                            - Harry Worth = pissed about with a shop window
                            - Jack Douglas = twitched

Are there still people like that on television these days?

Comment

He'll never fly again

Only, I imagine, for the brief moment that Cowell, or one of his cronies, will allow them.

'Variety' definitely feels like the preserve of the seventies and before, however. Of the proliferation of vent acts, Ray Alan was, for my money, the undisputed master. (Shari Lewis was pretty good, too.)

(Perhaps add Freddie 'Parrot-Face' Davis to your list...)

Comment

He'll never fly again

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Not a fan of 'Family Tree' then?
                                Never seen it - all I know is that she's not actually that skilled a vent - you could see her lips moving all the time on her QI appearance (although I think she may have been trying to distract from that with her cleavage).

I grew up watching the likes of Ronn Lucas and Paul Zerdin and have recently discovered the frankly astonishing Terry Fator.

Comment

He'll never fly again

This reminds me of the most surreal BBC trend of the 1960s: ventriloquism on the radio.

Comment

He'll never fly again

All children's entertainers deserve a good kicking.

I'm off to Twitter to troll Timmy Mallet and send death threats to Basil Brush.

Comment

He'll never fly again

treibeis wrote: There were a lot of people on television in my youth who I remember as one-trick ponies (I’m not saying they really did only have one specific talent; I’m saying that’s how I remember them):

A disgraceful slur on a fine entertainer.

He did the "chicken", too!

Comment

He'll never fly again

And where. Pray. Is the accolade for Bob Blackman?

Comment

He'll never fly again

treibeis wrote: - Bernie Clifton = pretended he was riding an ostrich
                                          But he was riding an ostrich.

Comment

He'll never fly again

Guy Potger wrote:
                                            Originally posted by treibeis
                                            There were a lot of people on television in my youth who I remember as one-trick ponies (I’m not saying they really did only have one specific talent; I’m saying that’s how I remember them):

A disgraceful slur on a fine entertainer.

He did the "chicken", too!
                                            And a truly wonderful seaside laughing clown.

Comment

He'll never fly again

Ali Bongo!

Come on down!

Comment

He'll never fly again

*I'm not going in the gox!*

Comment

He'll never fly again

"Would you like a big bottle of brown beer?"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X