Wild Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Tales

can I just recommend? Tremendous film. Was trying to catch it in London and failed then discovered it was on in Edinburgh last night when I was there for work with an evening to kill.

A collections of different stories, unconnected, satirising modern life. A lot about society in Argentina (Sam?) but a super mix of dark comedy, farce at times, but always picking away at the nasty cynical side of life. The section involving road rage had me laughing terribly hard whilst squirming. And the story of the descent into madness and retribution caused by a car being towed was fabulous.

At times the "twist" in each story is telegraphed. But it doesn't matter.

As an extra bonus one of the actors in it - Ricardo Darin - pops up and gave me a sweet reminder of the absolutely unbeatable convoluted heist film, Nine Queens. If you haven't seen that it's one of my favourite films of the last twenty years.

(Sure purists might shoot me down but both films are what makes cinema work for me).

Wild Tales

(Saving a zero thread...)

Just been to see this in Clapham: for me it veered between highly-entertaining farce and nonsense filler. I found myself chuckling at the spiralling insanity in most of the vignettes, though failed to find a twist in the second tale (the vexed waitress). The real gems were, as LL calls it, the road rage story and the car-tow disaster, with the finale, a wedding tale, close behind.

Spoiler: There were audible gasps in the audience for the opening scenario which - for those unaware - involves a vengeful pilot who locks himself into the cockpit in order to crash the aircraft and kill those who had wronged him. Yes, you heard right...

Comment

Wild Tales

Jah - thanks for saving me from OTF nil thread humiliation. Agree it went farcical/filler at times. But if you went with that I thought it was overall great entertainment.

There were gasps too for the opener in Edinburgh. I didn't fully think about recent events being part of that, oddly.

Comment

Wild Tales

I saw it way before all of that, as it came out here in October or November last year, I think - but when the Germanwings flight happened there were plenty of people here who wondered whether Lubitz had seen the film and taken it as his inspiration (even in most morbid circumstances, Argentines will always try and big up Argentina's influence in the world).

I think I was pretty much alone in being left a little dissatisfied with the ending of the wedding story, but the Darín piece is glorious, and not least because I frequently walked past that car impoundment centre (which is actually just a car park - they added the booth in the middle digitally) when I lived closer to the centre.

Comment

Wild Tales

Oh and for what it's worth, having seen the intro way before anyone heard of Lubitz, I really enjoyed that one. It's a huge shame that (I would guess) a lot of people who see it after that won't be able to enjoy it as much.

Comment

Wild Tales

When I saw it on Newcastle they did a spoiler, by putting a poster up outside the screen outlining what was about to happen, in case you would be upset by it.

Comment

Working...
            X