Accidentally watching something in the wrong order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got round to watching State of Play on DVD and, without thinking, I put the second disk in rather than the first and pressed 'play all'. To be honest, it seemed a bit confusing but I thought it was trying to be clever, thrusting you into the story unaided to piece things together for yourself. Retrospectively, this was a mistake.

Took a while but I started to get into it and went back to watch what I thought was the third episode but was actually the last. I realised my error and I'm now pissed off at having spoilt something I could have really enjoyed. Can't bring myself to start again properly.

Reassure me OTF, surely others have done the same?

Didn't ITV put the parts of one of their crime dramas on in the wrong order a while ago? Not sure many people noticed.

Comment

Watching stuff on Netflix can do this, if you don't watch the little symbols saying already seen
      or if you have a family that watches things ahead of you, and you have to guess which episode you last saw.
      It's mainly more a case of already having watched an episode than skipping ones though.

Comment

Cornerhouse in Manchester spent the best part of a week showing The Cement Garden with the reels in the wrong order before anyone queried it

Comment

I got hold of Sapphire and Steel a little while ago and the person who had ripped it misnumbered the episodes in the first series. The weird circularity of having episode 1 as the final one seemed to fit.

Comment

When I got the DVD of Firefly, I managed to replicate Fox's bungling of the running order and watched The Train Job before the pilot episode.

Comment

I watched the episode in the second series of Boardwalk empire where jimmy is in college out of order, it made things very very confusing.

Comment

I remember there was a show that accidentally ran episodes out of order - or was it just that they were listed out of order on the back of the DVD box ?

It was American Gothic, I think.

So it weren't my fault.

My daughter read Insurgent, thinking that was the first book in the series. She can't be arsed to crack the spine of Divergent.

Comment

I've just binge-watched the first 6 Fast and Furious movies, and I'm sure that they put number 3 in the wrong place.

Comment

We're watching The Partridge Family on DVD right now. We mistakenly watched the 'Detroit' episode with Richard Pryor ahead of the 'Mobsters' episode with Vic Tayback. Totally confused my kids and will probably make the Season Two switch from old Chris to new Chris that much more jarring.

(I've just made that whole thing up.)

Comment

I saw Return of the Jedi first and Star Wars (now A New Hope) last of the three original movies.

It meant I knew all about the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back beforehand.

Comment

Got two eps of Arrow out of sequence last night, Luckily the should-have-been-first was the dumbly-spinning-off-the-dumb-spin-off special.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that I've seen all of The Sound of Music. I've never seen it in one sitting, instead seeing bits and pieces over a couple of decades of bank holidays.

Comment

The Star & Shadow cinema in Newcastle, former anarcho-commune-squat of an industrial building, frequently botched screenings by putting the wrong reel on, in a lovable asmateurish way.

Except when they did it to Varda's Cleo de 5 a 7 which, as its title suggests, only makes sense in strict chronological order- the duration of the film is from 5 to 7pm.

The post-film discussion was darkly comic, as a few spectators tried to theorise some sort of feminine/ist representation of time as if the film had been trying to smash bourgeois/patriarchal chronology.
                            I will miss them, however, as they are moving out to try to find a building they can own outright.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: I'm fairly sure that I've seen all of The Sound of Music. I've never seen it in one sitting, instead seeing bits and pieces over a couple of decades of bank holidays.
                              Yup. I've seen the Godfather probably fifteen times, but never from the first minute to the last minute.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I've just binge-watched the first 6 Fast and Furious movies, and I'm sure that they put number 3 in the wrong place.
                                Hah, yes. I remember at the end of Fast Five, there's a nod to that with Han's girl asking him if he wants to go to Tokyo, and he says not yet.

Isn't the "correct" order of the non-first and non-last Prisoner episodes still debated?

Comment

It is. I have a book about it (the show) at home, but you can find the squabble online.

Comment

I can't wait!

Comment

The wiki page has a chart showing the original airing order, the production order, the fan club order, the biblical order, the astrological correctness order, etc....

Comment

When I was on ships, we'd get films on Crew Channel, but have to watch them sections as we'd have to go back to work. I saw a lot of films starting with the end and then fitting them together over the course of the day. I had to read the book of Shutter Island to figure that one out!

Comment

Working...
                                        X