Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were a typecast actor, you would be ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe not typecast, but, you know, the kind of "actor" who clearly just plays himself all the time. Like Robert de Niro being all moody and hard, or Hugh Grant being the shy posh English twit, or Jim Carrey being the manic misfit.

Who would you be? I'd be the bloke who's always the "friend" of the hero, who's world-weary and has lines like "Why bother? Let's go to the pub!". The one who's Simon Pegg's mate in all those films. Exactly him.

The villainous henchman whose twisted code of honour gets him killed by the Big Boss in the early part of the final act when he refuses his master's order to gun down a bus load of nuns/plant a bomb in a school/murder the hero's wife.

Comment

I'd love to play the type of role that Bob Balaban plays in stuff. Small parts. Deadpan. Sort of the 'bemused by the complications of the modern world' type of guy. One-day shoots, then back to my anonymity with $14,000 in my pocket.

Comment

People say I look like Michael Caine, so I'd go for the character he plays in the Italian Job : "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

But I think I'm more the Jeff Bridges' Big Lebowski bemused outsider who doesn't take life too seriously type of character.

Comment

WOM wrote: I'd love to play the type of role that Bob Balaban plays in stuff. Small parts. Deadpan. Sort of the 'bemused by the complications of the modern world' type of guy. One-day shoots, then back to my anonymity with $14,000 in my pocket.
          I had to look him up - crikey - he's been in a whole lot of mostly nuthin' since 1965.

I think I'd be a bit role crucial to the story, appearing once or twice throughout a film.

Cue scene : I step into the road, causing a cyclist to swerve and knock over a beautiful young lady. The two quickly fall in love and have adventures before getting married at the end of the film - by me.

My IMDB would be mostly 'man at bus stop' and 'bartender', with some 'uncredited'.

I can't think of anybody who's doing that type of thing.

Comment

It used to be Stephen Tobolowsky, but then he did Glee....

Comment

Sydney Pollack used to do the same thing Balaban does. He's actually a Producer/Director/Actor in equal quantities. I could see that being interesting. Unfortunately, I'm none of the three, so a crossover will be more challenging.

Comment

The quiet guy who starts fighting when people piss him off. Any suggestions for which actor fills that role?

Comment

Karl Kennedy in Neighbours, basically.

Comment

People say I look like Michael Caine, so I'd go for the character he plays in the Italian Job : "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."
                    You've given me a spoken-word earworm:

We had a History teacher at school who was forever trying, and failing, to get down with the kids.

He once attempted to tell us about the Reichstag being torched. I can still hear him now, with his slow, John Cooper Clarkesque Mancunian drawl, going, “And the Reichstag was allegedly burned down by a half-witted Dutchman called van der Lubbe. You can almost imagine, can’t you, Michael Caine turning up and saying, ‘You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.’”

The problem was that nobody in the class had seen The Italian Job.

Comment

Steve Buscemi doing self-loathing, in the way that only Steve Buscemi can.

Comment

G-Man wrote: The quiet guy who starts fighting when people piss him off. Any suggestions for which actor fills that role?
                        Bill Bixby?

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote:
                          Originally posted by WOM
                          I'd love to play the type of role that Bob Balaban plays in stuff. Small parts. Deadpan. Sort of the 'bemused by the complications of the modern world' type of guy. One-day shoots, then back to my anonymity with $14,000 in my pocket.
                          I had to look him up - crikey - he's been in a whole lot of mostly nuthin' since 1965.

I think I'd be a bit role crucial to the story, appearing once or twice throughout a film.

Cue scene : I step into the road, causing a cyclist to swerve and knock over a beautiful young lady. The two quickly fall in love and have adventures before getting married at the end of the film - by me.

My IMDB would be mostly 'man at bus stop' and 'bartender', with some 'uncredited'.

I can't think of anybody who's doing that type of thing.
                          I can't be the only one who thought you were referring to erstwhile Aston Villa striker Bosko Balaban when I first read the post.

Comment

I'd be the one in Star Trek who gets beamed down to the alien planet with all the familiar crew members and is therefore the first (and usually the only one) to be killed off.

Comment

nmrfox wrote: I'd be the one in Star Trek who gets beamed down to the alien planet with all the familiar crew members and is therefore the first (and usually the only one) to be killed off.
                              You can avoid this by not wearing a red shirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X