Creatures with good/bad PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prompted by the "Jaws" thread. A film which condemned the innocent shark to an eternity of fear and loathing.

Bears - nearly always portrayed as the good guys, whereas in reality they're one of the few animals around that will seek and destroy, if you so much as leave sweet wrappers in your coat pocket.

Snakes - far less threatening than bears, will almost certainly run away, but universally defamed and despised on screen.

Aliens - the ones I've met have been nice enough. A bit dull, to be honest.

Spiders. Charlotte's Web is fighting the lone corner against that tide of monsters.

Comment

Dogs - most are portrayed as loyal, heroic, intelligent etc. Apart from Cujo, obviously.

In reality, most dogs are stupid and easily spooked.

Comment

Killer whales. Which are actually dolphins.

Comment

Surely killer whales have great PR - Free Willy etc - when everyone who's seen that Attenborough documentary knows they're vicious calculating pack-hunting bastards.

Comment

I thought it was just unfair on whales. Dolphins get an easy ride, despite some species killing other animals for fun.

Comment

Spiders. Charlotte's Web is fighting the lone corner against that tide of monsters.
              Spiders are evil. All spiders are evil.

Comment

Foxes tend to get an easy ride - often romantic, frequently a victim and Basil Brush even gets to wear a smoking jacket.

Comment

Cats - almost always the bad guys.

Idiotic.

Comment

tee rex wrote:

Bears - nearly always portrayed as the good guys, whereas in reality they're one of the few animals around that will seek and destroy, if you so much as leave sweet wrappers in your coat pocket.
                    What tree deep in a forrest have you been living under?

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote: Dogs - most are portrayed as loyal, heroic, intelligent etc. Apart from Cujo, obviously.
                      And

Comment

Penguins. Stoically battling adversity and harshest extremes of weather on the most hostile continent on the planet.
                        Fuck 'em. They chose to live there. Nobody makes the fuckers waddle over miles of frozen Antarctic terrain just to slowly starve to the point of near death as they try to incubate a single egg only to see the offspring that eventually hatches and then waddles all the way back to the fucking sea with them swim straight into the gaping mouth of a fucking leopard seal.
                        And while we're at it, they can't sing or perform dance routines, and they can't fucking surf either.

Comment

And of course...

Comment

A handful of forgotten straight-to-videos can't compete with Paddington, Yogi, Baloo, Pooh and all the other evil propagandists for the Bear Party.

Comment

And meerkats are not cute, they are just a bunch of annoying cunts.

Comment

tee rex wrote:
                                Snakes - far less threatening than bears, will almost certainly run away...
                                Not the ones I've seen )

Not original but...

Squirrels - rats with bushy tails and good PR.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Penguins. Stoically battling adversity and harshest extremes of weather on the most hostile continent on the planet.
                                  Fuck 'em. They chose to live there. Nobody makes the fuckers waddle over miles of frozen Antarctic terrain just to slowly starve to the point of near death as they try to incubate a single egg only to see the offspring that eventually hatches and then waddles all the way back to the fucking sea with them swim straight into the gaping mouth of a fucking leopard seal.
                                  And while we're at it, they can't sing or perform dance routines, and they can't fucking surf either.
                                  I have a similar feeling for Panda bears. The pretend Goth motherf...
                                  Fuck'em. They're bears and eat bamboo. Maybe a grasshopper by mistake occasionally.
                                  They’re bears and give birth to something not larger than an insect. One of them. Not a bunch of cubs. One tiny bastard. When they do give birth, because that seems to fail 9 out of 10 times. Maybe evolution is simply telling them Panda’s that their time is up. No one’s crying over the mammoth or the stegosaurus being gone. Why should I donate a dime to some saving Panda fund? Start eating proper bear food you bastards! Why would I send money and they spend it all on bamboo!? I truly loathe them.

I would like to meet someone who’s bought a Panda fur. Thrust it down the person’s throat. I wouldn’t wave a panda fur towards an oil tanker passing in the far distance, as the last available distress signal, a life boat I’ve been stuck on for 40 days at open sea.

Comment

I think the amount of attention and conservation effort bestowed on bone-idle, undersexed panda bears could have been better spent on a more deserving species.

Comment

A handful of forgotten straight-to-videos can't compete with Paddington, Yogi, Baloo, Pooh and all the other evil propagandists for the Bear Party.
                                      Rupert. That guy was surely at the fore.

No one’s crying over the mammoth or the stegosaurus being gone.
                                      Speak for yourself.

Comment

Polar bears do okay in the public consciousness — Fox's Glacier Mints, Coca-Cola ads … at the same time, they're the only animal on earth that will hunt and kill a human.

Comment

Paddington is a fucking Don, won't hear a bad word said. Rupert is Bear Ukip. Hope he chokes on a pine cone.

Comment

Actually think that Paddington supports Sporting Cristal, though he may well have adopted AFCW after emigrating.

Comment

The only positive portrayal of a crow that I can remember was the saxophonist in a TV advert for Kia-Ora in the 1980s. And even that was an exception, as the crow was normally the Kia-Ora bad guy.

Comment

Crow from Crow and Alice on You and Me was alright.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Polar bears do okay in the public consciousness — Fox's Glacier Mints, Coca-Cola ads
                                                  The Cresta ones were best.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X