Elite Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite Squad

This year's City Of God, except told from the point of view of the highly-trained military police with guns rather than the slum dwellers.

As a thriller it's not bad, though it's extremely right-wing in tone and carries a distinctly Charles Bronson-esque message (drug dealers deserve to die and it's okay to torture a suspect by suffocating him with a plastic bag and ramming a broomstick up his hole). Again and again, it rams home the utterly ludicrous point that if you smoke a joint you are responsible for drug-related killings.

I was interested to read that it's the most expensive Brazilian movie of all time, because it's not half as handsome-looking as City Of God was. The granite-faced Wagner Moura is very good as the semi-psychotic policeman struggling with stress issues.

Elite Squad

sounds awesome - will have to check it out - been watching HBOs Oz of late so very exposed to gruesome violence!

Comment

Elite Squad

As a story it certainly holds the interest, it's just that the actual politics of the film are rather fist-brained.

The female lead is extremely easy on the eye, though there is an even better-looking woman who has a non-speaking part, sitting in the front row of the classroom at the university and wearing a V-neck top. I would have married her.

Comment

Elite Squad

I'm just back from Brazil and was told I have to see this film. I was willing to marry dozens and dozens of the Brazilian women I saw when I was there.

Comment

Elite Squad

When's the next 'thon so you can tell me all about them?

Comment

Elite Squad

Great idea, CTT. And I want to hear all about the start to Huddersfield's centenary season. Will PM you in a day or so.

Sorry about the thread hijack, H.

Comment

Elite Squad

Is "José Padilha" (the director's name) a pseudonym? It sure looks like one.

Comment

Elite Squad

i fell asleep after half an hour of this. shite.

Comment

Elite Squad

Yeah, but knowing you, you probably only began watching it at four in the morning . . .

Comment

Elite Squad

I don't know Toro but he also directed Bus 174 using that name.

Comment

Elite Squad

i have just bought city of men, made by the people who did city of god, sort of the same thing but a TV series

anybody seen it?

Comment

Elite Squad

I've seen the TV series. It was good but nowhere near City of God. As well as life in the favellas it featured a white boy from a middle class family. It was much more character driven and less violent than the film

A movie was released recently called City of Men which carried on the story of the TV characters. Is it that you got or the actual TV series?

Comment

Working...
                        X