• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movies you have decided not to ever see

Beaches.

Comment

Oh, good gracious, no. Don't. Unless you are a real grief junkie. I mean, it's not a bad film and not entirely without merit but the end just is not worth the ruination of the rest of your night.

Comment

'The Hunger Games'

Crap idea in any medium.

Comment

I've never seen a Danny Dyer film.

Comment

evilC wrote: 'The Hunger Games'

Crap idea in any medium.
            I gave it a shot. I wish I had not.
            It is the most tedious bunch of wank I have seen since this side of Phil Collins going solo.

Comment

Jesus wrote: ...Phil Collins going solo.
              Can't unsee that unintended metaphor in my mind's eye!

Comment

Particularly with Jesus's preceding sentence...

Any Lord of the Rings or Hobbit-type nonsense gets my vote. It's an entire world of milky indulgence that all right-thinking folk should finally have realised to be such after the dope-smoking progsters got hold of it during the seventies.

Comment

Nice scenery, though.

Comment

Yes. Shame they couldn't just have released that.

Comment

Modern blockbusters that use CGI effects, as they all look the same to me.

Comment

Owt with a Marvel or DC superhero in it made after 1990.

Comment

You’re missing out.

I don’t watch violent horror films.

I generally avoid Clint Eastwood films.

Comment

I doubt you're missing out. I've seen a handful - usually the more highly praised ones - and as someone who has not a lot of interest in superhero nonsense I find them almost universally underwhelming, widely predictable, and with tediously long CGI action sequencey stuff.

I understand that people who're into superhero-y stuff like them, and that's great. But I imagine GO is coming in from a position like mine, of holding little interest in the genre. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar response to the films.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              And, like imp, any more Paul Thomas Anderson films.
                              I wrote this in 2015.

I was wrong.

I saw Phantom Thread.

I was right that I shouldn't have seen any more Paul Thomas Anderson films.

I said in 2018 that I'd never watch another Paul Thomas Anderson film.

At some point in the new year I'm going to watch Licorice Pizza. It's so widely admired, and everything about the trailer makes me want to see it, and it doesn't have Daniel Day-Lewis in it.

And yet.... I know, deep down I know, what a terrible choice this is going to be, what a waste of a couple of hours of my life, because even though everyone else will think it's the greatest film of the year, it's a Paul Thomas Anderson film.

Comment

I'm largely going by the way the DC & Marvel worlds been described on here; they sound utterly humourless and up themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I generally avoid Clint Eastwood films.
                                  I watched The Eiger Sanction the other week and wouldn't recommend it. The wide seams of misanthropy and, in particular, misogyny in his '70s films make them hard to enjoy now.

Since this thread came around the first time, I've moved from never having seen Love Actually to deciding never to see it.

Comment

Almost anything with Tom Hanks in it where he is not playing the part of someone named for or based on a real life person

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I doubt you're missing out. I've seen a handful - usually the more highly praised ones - and as someone who has not a lot of interest in superhero nonsense I find them almost universally underwhelming, widely predictable, and with tediously long CGI action sequencey stuff.

I understand that people who're into superhero-y stuff like them, and that's great. But I imagine GO is coming in from a position like mine, of holding little interest in the genre. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar response to the films.
                                      I did like superhero comics, as a kid and into my twenties. I also watched movie and TV versions of them which, mostly, were fun. But for me the whole genre gradually became over-bloated. Liked Jessica Jones though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Similarly, I don't know if the Godfather glorifies gangsters either if you take the whole thing in its entirety. Yes these people are rich and powerful, but also they are portrayed as pretty terrible people. The ultimate fates of vito, Sonny, and Fredo are not particularly glamorous, and michael is a monster. Also consider what happens in the final couple of minutes of each of the first two films. A lot of gangsters die horribly unglamorous, pointless deaths.
                                        I know that this is bringing up a five year old point but, in The Godfather, Vito Corleone's death is one that many of us would be happy with.

Comment

I think, since this thread was written, that I have seen a Scarlett Johansen film where she and it were good but the name escapes me now.

Dune, both the original and the remake. I have a feeling that the remake may be more up my street but I just know that I am never going to see either and am not bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

I know that this is bringing up a five year old point but, in The Godfather, Vito Corleone's death is one that many of us would be happy with.
                                            Dies of a heart attack at 64 after 10 years of being a slowly doting invalid, who probably couldn't eat anything as tough as al dente pasta?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I did like superhero comics, as a kid and into my twenties. I also watched movie and TV versions of them which, mostly, were fun. But for me the whole genre gradually became over-bloated. Liked Jessica Jones though.
                                              Ant-Man at least was able to poke fun at itself within a manageable running time, and the new Spider-Man films similarly zip along, but yes, the Avenger series have become too po-faced and distended, and I've never gotten the hype around Guardians of the Galaxy.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, or The Wizard of Oz in their entirety - life's too short for the first two, and there were plenty of chances to watch the last if I'd really cared to.

Comment

Jaws
                                                  Star Wars
                                                  Titanic

Comment

I don’t understand the aversion to CGI or animation. If it’s badly done, it can be hard to watch, but these days, it’s usually seamless and is an opportunity for creative people to be creative and design something new.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X