Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why haven't you told me about Tom Hardy's Bronson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's an up and coming star. At least by Hollywood measure. But damn, that Bronson was memorable.
    I got a Clockwork Orange vibe from it.

Looking at what he's done and I've seen.

Locke - basically a stage play in a car - was mesmerizing. One actor, one car, one phone. That's all it took. It's one of the best Hitchcock movies I've ever seen which Hitchcock's not done himself.

Lawless set in the depression is brute, about three brothers, with one of the best soundtracks past decade. The Bootleggers feat. Nick Cave - Burnin' Hell. Do check out the soundtrack.

Warrior, is outstanding.

No wonder people are looking forward to his version of Mad Max.

I've seen him in more but he didn't play the lead there.

Comment

The Drop is ok.. a 5.5.7/10.

He speaks quietly in it, like he might have had a bang on the head in his formative years. I found the New Yoik accent increasingly amusing as the film went on.as well.

His welsh accent in Locke (5.4.3/10) was a bit funny too. It's fairly good if he was trying to mimic Anthony Hopkins but felt a bit silly falling out of that face of his.

Comment

That's the kind of thing us non-Uk miss. I had no clue he was supposed to be Welsh in the movie. I have no clue what Welsh is meant to sound like. It was a funny accent in a special good way. Felt it added to the movie.

Comment

Luke R wrote: a 5.5.7/10.
          [...]
          5.4.3/10
          I don't think I've ever seen this construction before. What does it mean?

Comment

It's a more precise than what is usual film ratings system.

5.5.7/10 (five point five point seven out of ten) being a higher rated film than 5.4.3/10 (five point four point three out of ten).

Comment

Locke - basically a stage play in a car
              In the sense it was a one-man show, yes, but on stage you wouldn't have got the beautiful, atmospheric shots of British cities and motorways at night.

Comment

Luke R wrote: It's a more precise than what is usual film ratings system.

5.5.7/10 (five point five point seven out of ten) being a higher rated film than 5.4.3/10 (five point four point three out of ten).
                What could be the difference between a 5.5.7 rating and a 5.5.6 ?

Too much butter on the popcorn ?

Comment

Luke R wrote: It's a more precise than what is usual film ratings system.

Isn't that just another representation of decimals? It looks to me as if a grade of 5.57 or 5.43 would do just as well.

I hate it when there's too much butter on my popcorn.

Comment

What's worse is too much salt.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote: Isn't that just another representation of decimals? It looks to me as if a grade of 5.57 or 5.43 would do just as well.
                      That would be the sensible thing to do. I just like the added points and saying them.

It's a work in progress.

Comment

Luke R wrote: That would be the sensible thing to do. I just like the added points and saying them.

It's a work in progress.
                        Well, you get to define what makes you happy. Don't let me stop you, and carry on! I just want to understand what's going on, is all.

Comment

It definitely makes me happy, unusually happy.

Thanks a lot for your input though Smallcaps. I might dabble with your way of doing things in the future, but you know, old habits die hard and that. I might be too old to change.

I hope I have helped you understand.

Comment

I want to but haven't seen Locke yet and didn't realise his character was Welsh. Is it influenced by 'Marion & Geoff' then?

Comment

Luke R wrote: It definitely makes me happy, unusually happy.

Thanks a lot for your input though Smallcaps. I might dabble with your way of doing things in the future, but you know, old habits die hard and that. I might be too old to change.

I hope I have helped you understand.
                              I thought you were grading different aspects of the film.

Like you may see on torrent sites (so I'm told) :

9/10 A/V (audio quality is 9, video is 10, always marked out of 10). So, to use your example 5.5.7 might mean audio and video quality are both 5, and the acting was a 7 ?

Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

Comment

Tom Hardy was very good as a Jewish gangster in the second series of Peaky Blinders.

There seems to be some correlation between how heavily disguised he is and the quality of the results. This Means War, an action comedy with a fresh of face Hardy, wasn't very good.

Comment

He's brilliant, brilliant. A real actor.

Locke is a masterpiece.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Luke R
                                    That would be the sensible thing to do. I just like the added points and saying them.

It's a work in progress.
                                    Well, you get to define what makes you happy. Don't let me stop you, and carry on! I just want to understand what's going on, is all.
                                    I've decide that 5.57 or, say a 5.43 looks better and I will endure to use that from now on, thanks for your input. I'm officially influenced by you.

For me, Locke's not a masterpiece, It's ok.

5.4.3 (hang on) - 5.43! might be a bit stingy .. a straight six might be fairer, if you fancy watching Tom Hardy channeling a aging classically trained Welsh bloke that is. He mumbles and acts silly in The Drop and Batman. Bronson is best thing he's ever done. He's pretty.

God. You got to be high or drunk to think it's a masterpiece though.

Comment

To manage maintain the tension and your utmost attention for 85 minutes when all you have is one actor in one car, that's a masterpiece.

Comment

Interesting. On one hand you might have just quantified what makes a masterpiece. On the other you (and others) might be over doing it a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X