Better Call Saul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Call Saul

Just watched debut episode - highly recommended. Even more favoritism as it was shot largely in our home town.

Second episode is tomorrow night ... looks like no apparent feeling to evenly spread out the 10 shows week by week.

Better Call Saul

As I understand it, the idea was to start with a double whammy to get people talking. Thereafter it'll screen on Mondays.

Second season is already greenlighted.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Oh, the first episode was excellent. Lots of Vince Gilligan touches (the TV being moved in the courtroom; the composition of the skateboard ramp shot; the twins).

Plus, it seems that Saul used to be the alter ego of our old chum James Gilchrist.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Saw the pilot/first episode last night.
        Not sure if Netflix will run always a week behind now, with them doing that second one so quickly in the US, or perhaps that second one will appear Wednesday night - anyway happy to see it.

I enjoyed it, for many of the reasons already stated, the pacing, the camera staging, the casting, the bin.

No real spoliers to relate, yet; but knowing how Gilligan did it before, there probably is lots of clues already for what will become relevant.

Welcome back New Mexico.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Not sure if Netflix will run always a week behind now, with them doing that second one so quickly in the US, or perhaps that second one will appear Wednesday night - anyway happy to see it.
          It said the second one would be available 10 February when I looked for it.

Comment

Better Call Saul

So it was.

I read a lot of folk are disappointed at the pace of this.

I think they have come off the back of the 5th BB series expecting Uncle Jack marauding about the place, or similar.

Seems spot on to me in telling a different yarn; but dropping easter eggs for the BB faithful.

My wife didn't wince once in the first episode; but did in the second, a few times.
            She's a bit squeamish.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I read a lot of folk are disappointed at the pace of this.
              Not sure I understand that complaint. BB was fairly slow-paced as well, and we've already had "Saul" nearly be killed. I'm loving it so far.

Comment

Better Call Saul

G-Man wrote: Oh, the first episode was excellent. Lots of Vince Gilligan touches (the TV being moved in the courtroom; the composition of the skateboard ramp shot; the twins).
                Visual story-telling was one of Breaking Bad's strengths, especially in the later series, and it was certainly in evidence in the first couple of episodes here.

I think it'll require a transition period before there's complete comfort/acceptance of the series though. La Signora's first response was that she didn't like it it, and felt letdown.

The following day I asked her why. She said it was because Saul was a an excellent comedic caricature in Breaking Bad but a more multi-dimensional character here. She realises it's a dramatically essential change, and she'll probably grow to like Jimmy as the show progresses, but still feels a reflexive disappointment.

Comment

Better Call Saul

She realises it's a dramatically essential change, and she'll probably grow to like Jimmy
                  I hope not. He's a bad, bad man.

he following day I asked her why. She said it was because Saul was a an excellent comedic caricature in Breaking Bad but a more multi-dimensional character here.
                  Why is that bad?

Comment

Better Call Saul

Not bad. Just unexpected, given his previous incarnation in BB.

Some people react negatively when a character they are attached to is re-imagined or even "extended", as is the case here. As I said, it's reflexive, La Signora, and most others, will most likely get over it if the standard of the series remains high.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Gilligan and Odenkirk have always said the show wasn't going to be a comedy, at least not any more than Breaking Bad was.

Comment

Better Call Saul

SPOILERS I GUESS

Not everyone reads backgrounders though. They just remember the last occasions they saw Saul, and he wasn't in black and white staring glumly at himself on TV.

Comment

Better Call Saul

That latin record has become my favourite track to cha-cha-cha to.

Esquivel - Boulevard of broken Dreams

Enjoyable opening episodes, all good.

Comment

Better Call Saul

How are UK-based people managing to see this already? Is it on some UK-accessible cable channel?

If it's only available in the UK on Netflix at present (which I'm not going to join specially just for this and have no interest in joining generally), does anyone know when it might be either appearing on UK cable (or indeed UK terrestrial) or getting a Region 2 DVD release?

Comment

Better Call Saul

It's on Netflix UK immediately after it airs in the US, just like the last season of Breaking Bad. I presume it's not going to air on TV proper until after the season is over.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I've never got round to watching Breaking Bad. Just started watching this. Am I committing some kind of unpardonable continuity error that will ruin the former for me?

Comment

Better Call Saul

It's a prequel, so there is no need to know all about Breaking Bad.

A few characters in the first two episodes also appear in Breaking Bad, so having seen that show does enhance your understanding of them, but that's a bonus, not a necessity.

Comment

Better Call Saul

BCS kind of recycles a few modern presumably cool action crime/comedy film cliches, like the petty crime white guys who mess with the psychotic badass minority thug and end up getting whacked, as seen in Pulp Fiction with Samuel Jackson abusing the two white dudes who double crossed him.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: How are UK-based people managing to see this already?
                                      I download it via the torrent method, usually the day after it first airs.

Comment

Better Call Saul

my favourite character in this so far is tuco's abuelita.

Comment

Better Call Saul

First two episodes were mint. Third was a letdown.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Just watched the third - actually I liked it.

But rest of family liked it less.

Liked use of giant cell phone at start to show you opening sequence was many years ago.

Comment

Better Call Saul

BB had many great characters in it whereas here the main character had to carry too much of the plot in the first 3 episodes. That might change when the other players are fleshed out and given dramatic importance but as yet it feels like a one-man show.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Too unpleasant for me

Comment

Better Call Saul

Well. That was up there with all but a small handful of BB episodes. A change of tone, and I presume a temporary one, but what a reminder of all that lurks behind the lightness of Slippin' Jimmy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X