Better Call Saul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Call Saul

Mmm. Knocking it out of the park for me too.

*spoilery*

Looking forward to more Mike and [strike]Saul[/strike] Jimmy on screen together. I think it could be the foil Odenkirk probably needs to even the workload.

BB looked good but it was never this pretty either.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I'm guessing the affliction affecting Michael McKean's character (Saul's older brother) may inspired by this guy from Santa Fe.

Here's another link if the ABQ Journal link is unable to open.

Last Monday's episode was damned good - flashbacks upon flashbacks.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Amazingly, 2 weeks in NY and only able to see Netflix (Roku no other feeds) and couldn't see BCS!!!
        Anyway, back home and thanks to Netflix.fr, I am well caught up.
        Really digging it,especially the last Mike fest one.

Top quality in everything.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Bravura performance by Jonathan Banks in the final scene of this week's episode. Mighty stuff.

Overall though I think the series has a bit of a problem. Because it's a prequel — or has been so far — we know what's at stake, or isn't, for the main characters. To certain extent that dilutes the drama and, consequently, audience involvement. I kinda hope we get back to the Cinnabon store sooner rather than later.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I can't really agree about that. I mean, it makes it a different kind of show (although was there ever any doubt that Heisenberg would die one way or another?), but telling the audience how a character is going to end up and then showing how they get there is a well worn dramatic formula. As Hitchcock put it, it's the very definition of suspense.

Comment

Better Call Saul

But Jimmy's trajectory toward Saul in BB isn't all that suspenseful, so far at least. And we know what happened to Mike, so there isn't much about it that this series can really add.

I'm not really knocking the series. It's OK on a detail and character level, just dramatically low-key as long as it stays in the past.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Oh, I disagree completely. My theory is that we will, of course, see Walt and Jesse eventually. But that, when we do, their bit will only be 5% of the Saul universe. While he was a bit player in their lives, they also will be bit players in his. Whatever his 'thing' is in season 3, 4 or 5, they'll undo it (of course), but the repercussions will be much richer than what we'd guessed based on the endtimes of BB.

Comment

Better Call Saul

And we know what happened to Mike, so there isn't much about it that this series can really add.
                  Did you even watch the last episode?

Comment

Better Call Saul

Of course — see my earlier comment

Comment

Better Call Saul

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                      And we know what happened to Mike, so there isn't much about it that this series can really add.
                      Did you even watch the last episode?
                      I took that to mean "we know what happens to Mike in the end". To me, knowing how things will eventually unfold has no impact on the enjoyment of the journey.

Comment

Better Call Saul

It can do, if your story is all about the twist. But like I say, that's a different form of drama, not necessarily a better one.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Aye. A standout example of this in recent years has been Hilary Mantel. Throughout Wolf Hall, the audience knows exactly what will happen. And this is used to build the tension; the title knowingly refers to a location where exactly none of the action in the book takes place, which represents the future looming inescapable over all these events, and to which only the very last line directs us. Bring Up the Bodies is even more impressive, insofar as similar levels of tension are wrung from exactly the same situationa gain, save that now even all the characters know how the story ends.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Historical drama is quite different. As are dramatic interpretations of well known stories or fables. In those cases there are acknowledged plot points and characters. Audiences know that going in. Their interest lies in how a particular production resolves them. BCS isn’t like that. It’s a prologue to a successful story with the same actors playing the same characters, written (so far as I know) by the same writers. I’m not saying it’s bad, just that it must operate under a set of dramatic constraints that are limiting in ways, if not unique, then unusual.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I see where Amor is coming from; but in this case I am just dying to see the whole BB universe develop.
                              The rise of the chicken man has got to be done, may be the last scene of this series we will see Jimmy/Saul buy a bucket of wings from someone.
                              How did Jesse know about Saul in the first place when he took Walt, did Jesse have previous.
                              The hiring of the A team, the real reason he changed his name.
                              All fantastically photographed (did you know that train at the start was stock footage?, and the in car scene with Mike in Phillie was actual green screened - try and spot it).
                              Anyway loving this.

Comment

Better Call Saul

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                                All fantastically photographed (did you know that train at the start was stock footage?
                                The very first shot looked like a freight train. After that, Mike came off the very real NM Railrunner:

Only slight problem is that there ain't no way he took it from Philly. The Rail Runner only goes from Belen to Santa Fe - around 100 miles.

Comment

Better Call Saul

It also began a couple of years after the show is set. Never mind, beautiful train.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I'm enjoying it more than BB, compelling though that was. Hated the violence and loathed Walter quite early on.

Less dramatic pace in BCS makes it easier to enjoy the details. I love the Vietnamese beauty parlour, for example.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Toro Toro wrote: It also began a couple of years after the show is set. Never mind, beautiful train.
                                      Those coaches are the cool Bombardier Bi-Levels, built in Thunder Bay, Ontario. They're Toronto's daily commuter trains. I always sit upstairs, in the 'antisocial loner' seats near the stairs.

I'm not a train wonk. I'm really not.

Comment

Better Call Saul

I am, I love those double decker trains.

Comment

Better Call Saul

WOM wrote: Those coaches are the cool Bombardier Bi-Levels, built in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
                                          I've a cousin who lives in Thunder Bay. Never been; apparently it's two days drive from Ottawa, which is also in Ontario. Ontario's fucking huge.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Just about the size of Europe

(and Québec's bigger by half)

Comment

Better Call Saul

Show-off.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Oh no. My province is smaller than those guys. I'm almost embarrassed to be seen with them.

I'm just relieved I don't live in Prince Edward Island.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by WOM
                                                  Those coaches are the cool Bombardier Bi-Levels, built in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
                                                  I've a cousin who lives in Thunder Bay. Never been; apparently it's two days drive from Ottawa, which is also in Ontario. Ontario's fucking huge.
                                                  It would only take you an extra two hours to drive from Toronto to Florida than it would Toronto to Thunder Bay.

I think I've posted this before, but the entire UK would fit into Ontario 6 times.

Comment

Better Call Saul

Now, back to Saul. Anyone watch last night? Coming to a satisfying close next week. We can see Jimmy hardening into Saul, I think. Loving this show.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X