The Blake's 7 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blake's 7 thread

The new year greeted me with a nasty bout of flu; as a result, between bouts of nausea, shivering and sweating, I found myself revisiting a childhood favourite through my iPad for the first time in maybe thirty years.

The Guardian described the show as "deeply silly", but that's clearly ignorant. Its premise, although not without precedent in British science fiction, is dark; not like the other, more hopeful shows—such as Star Trek, Space 1999 and Buck Rogers—I was watching at the time. It was variously The Dirty Dozen or Robin Hood in outer space.

Yes, it was done on the cheap and these faults are well-documented. But this leads inevitably to a character-driven show, which became its greatest strength. And I still think the inside of the Liberator looks pretty good.

Series one starts off very well. Veteran sci-fi writer Terry Nation wrote all of series one I think; Chris Boucher was script editor. It's clear early on that it's the Blake and Avon show; Blake the flawed freedom-fighter, Avon the deeply ambiguous—in terms of his motives—computer hacker.

It's the other characters who are underwritten. Vila's probably the most memorable, but veers from faintly amusing to really annoying. Jenna starts the series strongly, as an independent and self-confident female character, but later becomes eye-candy and a plot device; someone to be rescued (and tied up on several occasions). Cally's alien character is sometimes interesting, but Gan has no function to the show other than occasionally banging heads together. Peter Tuddenham's Zen is probably the best; a ship's computer whose motivations are also undefined.

And on the federation side? Jacqueline Pearce's Servalan is great—feminine, flirtatious and completely evil. Travis, at least Stephen Greif's portrayal, is physically imposing and increasingly demented. Of course, as the series go on, Servalan and Travis become like Dastardly & Muttley in Stop the Pigeon, raising the question of why their superiors still continue to employ them.

Series one does dip somewhat in the middle, before finding its feet again. It was series two when Chris Boucher was allowed to write episodes and it was him, more than anyone else, who understood the complex relationships among the Liberator crew. Plus the whole Star One narrative was a story arc before anyone ever talked about story arcs.

By series three, Blake and Jenna had gone (and Gan was bumped off midway through series two). In terms of the new characters, Tarrant was too simplistically alpha-male to make his rivalry with Avon interesting (although his first episode was pretty good). Dayna had more to do in the show than Jenna, but still underlined how weakly the female non-Servalan characters were written. Avon has become the de facto leader, but became more megalomaniacal as series three and four progressed.

Series four is mostly rubbish, really. New character Soolin serves no purpose at all, other than looking hot. The new ship's computer was very annoying indeed. But Christ, the final episode, where Blake reappears, is nothing short of brilliant. And has an ending worthy of Sam Peckinpah, especially for something's that basically a kid's show.

Actually, this is a series crying out to be remade, even if no one on earth is going to be as good an Avon as Paul Darrow. There was a rumour that the Syfy channel was going to do just that, but it sadly amounted to nothing. But the lead characters and the premise are simply too good to ignore.

The Blake's 7 thread

Umm...did you really write all that without mentioning Orac?

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

I can vaguely remember some of the characters, but can't remember a single storyline. I always thought Blake looked vaguely like Peter Shilton.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Greatest TV sci-fi theme tune ever. In fact, on a shortlist with the Rockford Files and the Littlest Hobo for the GOAT in all categories.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Strong black female character, no conventional 'hero', the title character behaves badly, and an amazing performance by Paul Darrow that surpasses many of the most 'serious' drama performances of the era.

I would also think that if you put it next to equivalent series of the era with bigger budgets - Tom Baker's Dr Who, Battlestar Galactica, Space 1999 - it is far superior.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

It probably had a similar budget to late-70s Dr Who.

The original Battlestar Galactica wasn't much cop, despite the superior special effects.

Season 1 of Space 1999 had a way bigger budget but didn't surpass B7. And season 2 was dire, watching it again (except for Maya who I fancied).

But yes, Darrow in series one and two was terrific.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Nice summary. When you think about it, drama shows don't come much more influential than Blake's 7 - 13-part series, story arcs, unexpected deaths of main characters, shocking season finales... it set the blueprint.

I got a B7 DVD boxset each Christmas from 2010-2013 and watched the 13 episodes over the course of the following year, which I reckon was about the correct rate. There are some real gems, probably seven or eight properly good episodes, but to be honest the rest are largely unmemorable (except for the wrong reasons).

That last episode, though - yeah, it's fantastic. It succeeds in portraying what the other 51 episodes fail (with occasional exceptions) to deliver - a universe that is dirty, dangerous and duplicitous, and where Blake/Avon's group is under constant threat of being snuffed out. The plot moves on swiftly and smoothly, the characters are all beautifully written and played, the direction is inspired; and the whole thing seems to race with incredible pace to its conclusion, whereas the majority of other stories drag out over their 50 minutes. If only the rest of the series could have been like this - this gritty, this shocking, this... well made.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Orac was my favourite character, see.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Servalan was my first 'older woman' crush, when I was a kid.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Oh God, what was that little computer thing they used to carry round, too? Like a perspex box full of flashing lights.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Blake's 7 is tons of fun. Love it. Not sure I'd agree that Darrow's performance is great acting, enormously entertaining though it is.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Mumpo wrote: Oh God, what was that little computer thing they used to carry round, too? Like a perspex box full of flashing lights.
                        It's like I'm not here.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

I'm surprised TonTon hasn't commented on this thread yet.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Do you think they'll ever set up the ignore poster function?

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

And how come TonTon hasn't commented on this thread?

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

It's like I'm not here
                                Sorry TonTon, I am being facetious of course.

Orac was an inspired creation. In a series that centred on the fractious relationships between crew members, the fact that the most arrogant, irascible character could be silenced simply by having their plug pulled was a stroke of genius.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

I remember watching this when I was around 16 (long after the original run - around 2000/2001). It was getting re-runs on saturday afternoons, and I'd catch it after I'd done an early-morning shift at my part time place, so took it all in in a semi-tired/dreamlike state.

General thoughts were that as hammy as she was, Servalan was a great character; I don't know how accurate it is to say so, but having a powerful and glamorous female enemy seemed quite an unusual thing for a program that was made in the '70s. Very striking looking too.

The set design never bothered me that much, but some of the acting was really atrocious (the second bloke who played Travis especially). And while I know you need to suspend your disbelief with sci-fi, Blake's 7 really did try your patience (just looking at that whole Star One thing; no-one knowing where the control system for the whole damn country was; and then they mention there are '600 or so' ships that are meant to be able to invade and lay waste to a galaxy. 600!).

But the main thing that hit me was that the 'backstory', if you like, was something that I doubt a sci-fi show would do today; I mean your main character not only gets accused of paedophilia, but (unless I'm mistaken) the evildoers actually implant fake memories of trauma into the mind of the victim. I mean this didn't fuck around, that's about as evil a bunch of bureaucratic/fascist/totalitarian antagonists as you can get.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

I tried to watch it again. I loved it when I was a kid and never missed a single episode.
                                    But in the first episode, right new the beginning two people from an advanced technological society plan a coup WHILE STANDING OUTSIDE THE FUCKING DOOR OF A MEETING OF THE PARTY OFFICIALS.
                                    And at that point I though, fuck it. Whoever wrote this was an idiot.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Yeh, that's another one I could've had under my 'testing your patience' heading. If I'd have been in sound mind while watching, I probably would've given up too.

Also: all the 'alien' planets have that quarry/frosty woodland look. Obviously I know why, but having grown up in a more flashy-effects age, it makes it feel decidedly less sci-fi and much more am-dram

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Oh come on hobbes, surely you can tolerate a little bit of dramatic convention? Yes, we could cut to another scene, but once the new location had been established, most of the tension would have been lost. Just look on moments like that as Shakesperian asides.

Sorry Clive, but I was never enamoured of Servalan, either as a character or an object of desire. I get what VV is saying about her being a powerful and glamorous female character, and I know the show dined out on camp practically continuously, but Jacqueline Pearce took her peformance atrociously over the top and out of any realms of enjoyability. It was always with a slump of despondence that I realised a story was going to feature Servalan. Thank **** she wasn't around to blight the final episode (or was she??!!)

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

hobbes wrote: But in the first episode, right new the beginning two people from an advanced technological society plan a coup WHILE STANDING OUTSIDE THE FUCKING DOOR OF A MEETING OF THE PARTY OFFICIALS.
                                          And at that point I though, fuck it. Whoever wrote this was an idiot.
                                          Hobbes--as on the Interstellar thread (the one where you insinuated Kip Thorne lacked a basic understanding of black holes), you're getting all hot and bothered about something that didn't happen.

There wasn't a party meeting in episode one. Blake meets a couple of dissidents, they break out of the sealed city and there's a big massacre, as a mole has tipped off Federation guards. The rest of the episode is Blake's trial and imprisonment.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

Still don't quite get why Avon shot him at the very end, though. There's no real build-up where Avon gives Blake a chance to explain his "plan". He's been looking for the cunt for four years, you'd think he'd give him more than 30 seconds of chat before killing him.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

SPOILER ALERT

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

The first episode still stands up well. Admittedly a lot of Orwell, with a dash of of Philip K Dick, but as mentioned on the previous page, the paedophilia trial is heavy stuff. As is the rebel massacre.

As I said, it's very dystopian and unmistakeably British; Star Trek or Space 1999 it ain't.

Comment

The Blake's 7 thread

DOUBLE SPOILER ALERT

See my take on that ending was that AVON was a Federation Officer all along, too, and the entire series was leading up to him fulfilling his mission. We never see Avon shot, after all. And he always did seem a bit of a wrong'un. THe gunshots after the black screen ending could well be them making sure the rest of Blake's 7 are dead.

DOUBLE SPOILER ALERT

Comment

Working...
                                                  X