Films that might be even better in black and white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling Blade Runner could be one. Now, I know you can switch color off while watching a DVD but that wouldn't be the way. It would have to have been filmed in a slightly different way. Not much, just a few scenes.

The Usual suspects should have been in black and white

Maybe Saving Private Ryan to push it that extra bit towards superb with a proper black and white world war 2 feeling.

You light it differently in black and white, especially the backlight to give the scenes depth and texture. One trick you'll see in old black and white films is the way female close ups are slightly blurred to give a softer look where otherwise the light and focus might effect a more harsher ,higher contrast. So it's lighting combined with camera technique.

Comment

True, that's what I meant with the color on the present version of Blade Runner can't simply be turned off to get the effect.
      And the other thing with a few scenes would have had to be done differently. The toy maker scenes, especially with the little muppet greeting at the door would have to be slightly different, not only lighting technique.

Comment

Steven Soderbergh recut Indiana Jones (Raiders) in B&W to highlight the lighting and photography.

He's recently also done an edit of 2001 (not B&W), cutting out bits he saw as surplus to requirements.

Comment

I can't agree with Blade Runner, although I can see where you're coming from (the film noir influence, the use of shadow and light in the climax). But it's a spectacularly colourful film, even with the perpetual rain, and you'd lose so much of the tone produced by Trumbull's amazing FX work.

Comment

Reservoir Dogs?

Comment

The Wizard Of Oz.

Comment

I watched The Usual Suspects on a black and white telly back in my student days. It is better.

Comment

Possibly at home in SSC's continental Manchester thread in World, this anecdote, but I went to a bar in Manchester's Trendy Northern Quarter once that was showing Euro Trip in grainy black and white, muted. It didn't look remotely arty and the gritty, social relaism in this scene, featuring Vinnie Jones at the Manchester United supporters' pub, was lost without sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN239G6aJZo

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: I can't agree with Blade Runner, although I can see where you're coming from (the film noir influence, the use of shadow and light in the climax). But it's a spectacularly colourful film, even with the perpetual rain, and you'd lose so much of the tone produced by Trumbull's amazing FX work.
                    Yeah, put in "might" because it's hard to tell. A couple of the classic scenes might possibly be ruined instead. The Coca Cola sign, the close-up of the eye, the early toy maker scene.
                    If I put it this way instead. It could have worked very, very well, forced a quite different approach, and become a Film Noir masterpiece as opposed to a sci-fi masterpiece. I can more than live with the one we have.

Comment

If you define "Noir" by mood, tone and subject matter then Blade Runner is a Noir masterpiece.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say definitely say it is a film noir masterpiece as is.

Comment

Sex Lives Of The Potato Men

Comment

Working...
                          X