Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiplash

Believe the hype.

It's damn good. I've liked the "kid" Miles Teller in everything I've seen him in. The movies might not have been great but he's made them all wortwhile with his presence.

J.K Simmons is nothing less than fantastic.

No other film the past 20 years has got under my skin like this one. It's terrifying while at the same time you sit in awe over the acting, directing and the story.

It's a masterpiece.
    See it. I don't want to mention a single detail of the story, just see it.

Whiplash

Oh, maybe I should mention that the music is superb.

(and I had a teacher in German who was quite a bit like the one Simmons in playing)

Comment

Whiplash

I'll let you see it but one more thing.

There is no slow start. No gentle first act. 5 minutes in Simmons character will have grabbed you by the balls, 25min in you will be staring at the screen not wanting to blink as to not miss a moment of a second of the thing.

Good quality torrent here
      https://kickass.so/whiplash-2014-hdrip-xvid-ac3-evo-t10040712.html

Comment

Whiplash

I've seen the trailer and... it looked completely ridiculous. However, as a jazz fan, I'll try and give it a go. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Whiplash

If nothing else you will laugh at some of Simmons very brutal comments.
          Take the beginning of Full Metal Jacket, make the setting a posh music school, tone down the sergeant's military schtick and make him much more sinister.

And Simmons body language is quite something. Half of the brilliance in how they delevoped Simmons character is the body language. Just the way he makes the musicians start and stop playing. You will see what I mean.

Comment

Whiplash

I saw this about a month ago in a preview, for which the cinema didn't tell people what the film was before going in. When the certification card came up, the title "Whiplash" meant nothing to me but I was drawn in right from the start and it didn't let me go till the end. Not a film I'd have probably chosen to see had I heard of it before going but I was really glad I did end up going to see it.

Comment

Whiplash

Southport Zeb wrote: I saw this about a month ago in a preview, for which the cinema didn't tell people what the film was before going in. When the certification card came up, the title "Whiplash" meant nothing to me but I was drawn in right from the start and it didn't let me go till the end. Not a film I'd have probably chosen to see had I heard of it before going but I was really glad I did end up going to see it.
              I think the word is haunting, Zeb. No?

Comment

Whiplash

I was wondering about some of the things in the movie. If they were over the top for effect. I actually called up a good friend who has played drums for aeons. One of THE best drummers I have ever seen or heard. He can make a set of very basic sound like he's playing twenty drums. I asked him after telling him to see the film:
                - Is it really common to bleed from your hands when you play?
                He said:
                - You have no idea how many times I have.

I asked him:
                - Well, don't you develop some thick skin, the one right there between your index finger and thumb. Like people walking barefoot all their life have thick skin on their sole?
                He said: Yes you do. But you bleed, man, you bleed.

He's the least melodramatic man I know. The last one to make a big fuss about anything involving musicians.

Comment

Whiplash

Am watching it again.
                  Fuck!
                  Forget 5min in.
                  The very beginning, when the camera moves forth through the hallway as young Andrew is rehersing. It's... Kubrick-like.

Comment

Whiplash

It comes to Newcastle next week, will definitely make the effort. Nice poster too.

Comment

Whiplash

J.K Simmons is nothing less than fantastic.
                      Cheers, you're very kind.

Oh, I see. Good reminder to go and see Whiplash, actually - maybe early next week.

Comment

Whiplash

I had the misfortune to waste 20 minutes of my time watching this last night.
                        I've only ever walked out of a cinema once before. Fortunately I watched this at home.

That music teacher
                        He's one badass motherfucker.

Dreadful stuff.

Comment

Whiplash

Can we put you down on Team Foxcatcher then?

Comment

Whiplash

Ain't seen it yet.

Whiplash is like Jazz Club's answer to Full Metal Jacket
                            The brass section guy was even displaying Pte. Pyle-style symptoms when he was getting sacked.
                            I thought he was going to be found dead in the bogs with a trombone-sized hole in his head.

Diabolical nonsense it was.

Comment

Whiplash

There's been a lot of comments that it's actually a combat basic training movie set in a music school, Full Metal Juilliard and Full Metal Hi-hat have been two alternative titles suggested.

Comment

Whiplash

I like the hi-hat one.

The only good thing about this dreck was the Metallica earworm.

Comment

Whiplash

@Calvert

What was the other film you walked out of?.

Whiplash is a great little film, loved it. After your comments though I rounded down my original 8.6/10 to a 8.5/10.

Comment

Whiplash

My dad was raving about this. Although he is a jazz obsessive.

Comment

Whiplash

A jazzer, trained musician friend of mine said it was the best film he'd ever seen, though he was underwhelmed by the actual soundtrack which was "standard big band jazz...pretty dull & formulaic (i.e. very typical for a college band".

I liked it but am a bit bewildered by quite how many best film ever/of the decade comments I've seen about it.

Comment

Whiplash

Put me in the 'Excellent' camp. Saw it last night and loved it.

Comment

Whiplash

[spoiler]I was completely stunned by this when I saw it. I suspect that this is a film that in a couple of years we'll look back at it and wonder what we saw in it.

I was slightly uncomfortable with the bullying and the manner which it came across as entertaining. And the JK Simmons' ethos as expressed towards the end is deeply, deeply problematic and rewarded by the film. Or at least not contradicted. From that character's point of view he is vindicated.

However I can't think of another film which is so completely taut as a drum. The entire cinema was on the edge of their seat for most of the film. Even for a drum solo! [/spoiler]

Comment

Whiplash

I watched a hooky copy of this at home last night and I'm firmly in the 'loved it' camp. I know that Richard Williams and others have criticised the film for its under-representation of black musicians (particularly in the drum seat), its portrayal of jazz in this particular big band context as being a little cold and unfeeling, and questioned whether a young drummer in 2014 would idolise an old-fashioned if undeniably technically proficient drummer like Buddy Rich. Maybe. But if you can put those slight criticisms to one side (assuming you had even picked up on them) it remains a great film. Indeed, so absorbed was I that near the end (and if you've seen the film you'll know which bit I'm talking about), I realised that I had unconsciously face-palmed and was watching through my fingers.

Comment

Whiplash

Ditto on the 'absorbed' bit. I was so fucking tense by the end of that film that my shoulders were up around my ears. I had to tell myself to relax after it was over. Movies don't generally affect me that way.

Comment

Whiplash

Whiplash: Neck-shrinkingly good. WOM

Comment

Whiplash

Just watched this. After the first fifteen minutes I turned it off. Any scene featuring JK Simmons' character was elevated miles over the rest, and I had started to hate the protagonist. But then I turned it on again, since those rare JK Simmons bits were really good.

Happy that I made that decision. The final scenes were very, very good.

[spoiler]I particularly enjoyed how they resisted having more scenes after the final concert part. It would have been standard Hollywood to have some kind of reconciliation with the girl, to have the father be explicitly proud, and to have some kind of music executive offer a contract of some sorts to the protagonist. But those scenes would have been a waste of my time, and would needlessly heap on the melodrama. No, I like it better the way it actually was: climactic musical battle between the pupil and the teacher, where they find each other in the end, and on the final note, cut to credits. Bonus points for that.[/spoiler]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X