Die Hard ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die Hard ratings

Sky Movies are showing the five Die Hard movies back to back at the moment. What rating out of 10 would you give each one? Here are mine.

Die Hard - Like Irn Bru, the original and best. I still don't think an action movie has bettered this. Rating - 10

Die Hard 2 - I have always enjoyed this one but it does come across as more of a standard action flick with nothing special about it except Willis. Rating - 7.

Die Hard With A Vengeance - I am a big fan of this entry. Irons almost tops Rickman in the villain stakes and Jackson is a brilliant addition to the cast. Rating - 9.

Die Hard 4.0 - I love this one too. Some people didn't take to it but i am a big fan of Olyphant from Deadwood and Justified and he is an excellent villain. I enjoy the angle that McClane is out of touch with the modern World. His scene with Kevin Smith is hilarious. I like his wee sidekick too. Rating - 8.5.

A Good Day To Die Hard - Considering how much i love the 4 movies listed above, i couldn't believe what i was watching here. The father/son dynamic just didn't work the way it had with the daughter, the villains were garbage and the action was just too ridiculous. I have only watched it once so maybe it will improve with more viewings but i doubt it. Rating - 3.

Die Hard ratings

hold on, timothy olyphant is the baddy in die hard 4?

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Hold on, somebody sat through five Die Hard films?

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Hold on, i did.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

My favourite is Die Hard With A Vengeance, even if it doesn't feel like as complete and tightly plotted film as the first one.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

The original is brill. Even my Mum liked it.

Wasn't so keen on Die Hard 2. Given there is a massive plane crash with hundreds of victims, everyone is a bit too chipper at the end.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was pretty good. Not as good as the Original but better than 2.

Haven't seen 4 and 5 as the trailers looked awful.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

[never mind]

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Die Hard - 10
                Die Hard 2: Die Harder - 7
                Die Hard with a Vengeance - 9
                Live Free and Die Hard - 5
                A Good Day to Die Hard - 3

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Kevin Smith is in Die Hard 4?

Comment

Die Hard ratings

He was tight with Willis for a while. It ended badly.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Die Hard ratings:

1. John McClane: Meddling cop acting way outside his jurisdiction. State sponsored terrorist and murderer. Poor husband, worse father. ACAB. - 2/10

2. Hans Gruber: Grubby, money-loving crook hiding behind "extremism" to make himself rich. Rightly expelled from the Volksfrei movement for being a capitalist traitor. - 2/10

3. Simon Gruber: Despite his immaculate East German past, the other Gruber brother is as grubby as Hans. What is it with Hollywood's portrayal of proud communists? It's like they never recovered from McCarthy. - 4/10

4. Colonel Stuart: Supporter of General Esperanza due to his strong anti-Communist beliefs? What even is this shit? Fucking USA capitalist cowboy wank, that's what. Long Live The American Dream! Down with a fairer system for all! Propaganda, guns, money and men in vests with no shoes on. Fuck Die Hard. Fuck it real hard. - 1/10

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Pshaw. You'll be criticising James Bond next.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

Don't get him started on Batman.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

The 1-3-2 ranking seems fair.

The fourth one was dire, capped off with a CGI blow out so offputtingly obvious that the villain might as well have been Wile E Coyote.

Comment

Die Hard ratings

The latest offering looks suspiciously like they reached for a run-of-the-mill action script they had saved somewhere and they hastily changed the name of the main character to John McClane. Had we even heard of that son before?

Comment

Die Hard ratings

4. Colonel Stuart: Supporter of General Esperanza due to his strong anti-Communist beliefs? What even is this shit? Fucking USA capitalist cowboy wank, that's what. Long Live The American Dream! Down with a fairer system for all! Propaganda, guns, money and men in vests with no shoes on. Fuck Die Hard. Fuck it real hard. - 1/10

I thought that it was surprisingly honest about how american involvement in central america was uncomfortably tied up in Large scale drug dealing.

Comment

I'm gonna die harder like my kid Bruce Willis...

I watched the first two again within a few days of each other this week (the first time I've ever done so, I think) with my son. My daughters watched the first but were disappointed and were certainly expecting a more Xmassy movie (which is another thread) and stopped there.

The experience only reinforced to me what I've thought and said for 30 years, the sequel is better than the original. Also, I've only just remembered that Colm Meaney has a minor role which means he is in the two great air travel based action movies of the nineties, DH2 and Con Air.

I'll treat the boy to the third soon but may stop there. I never saw 4 but did suffer 5 at its premiere for convoluted work reasons.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-12-2020, 19:54.

Comment

4 is worth a go. It's not up to the standard of 1, 2 & 3 but it's still a decent film, way better than 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Die Hard ratings

The original is brill. Even my Mum liked it.

Wasn't so keen on Die Hard 2. Given there is a massive plane crash with hundreds of victims, everyone is a bit too chipper at the end.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was pretty good. Not as good as the Original but better than 2.

Haven't seen 4 and 5 as the trailers looked awful.
                                      I have now seen 4 and 5. They're both shit.

Comment

The second one is pretty good until the end. But the end makes it awful. It is overblown -- metaphorically and literally -- in the way excess consumption of coke makes things overblown. But it is also callous. Hundreds of people have just been blown up, and those two selfish fucks walk off without a care in their world. It's almost a pity the bad guys lost.

Comment

Still not seen 4 and 5, but I would definitely agree on the 1, 3, 2 order.

Another massive fan of Con Air as well, if only for Nicholas Cage's line about putting a bunny in the box.

Comment

1, 3, 4, 2, 5

And Con Air about on a par with 1

Comment

3 is brilliant up until they get onto the ship, then the plot just goes astray until we get a crap ending. (Could have been worse, the alternative ending is even more rubbish.)

Con Air is bloody awesome.

Comment

I don't really have much of an opinion on the DH films, but Con Air is an absolute stone cold classic.

Comment

I'd forgotten that the existence of 5 is entirely justified by the tag line on the poster :

Comment

Working...
                                                  X