Billie Whitelaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billie Whitelaw

...has died at the age of 82. Somebody who could work so closely with Samuel Beckett for so long was clearly a very special kind of actor.

Billie Whitelaw

Yes. Never saw her perform myself (I've never been much of a theatre goer) but just reading about what she did, I find it quite extraordinary.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

Coincidentally I watched an old, and totally forgettable, early 50s flick, The Fake, the other night. There's a scene between the two leads in the restaurant of the Tate Gallery. Their waitress has one line, and is on screen in medium-long shot for less than thirty seconds. "That's Billie Whitelaw!" I said. And it was. She could do that.

RIP

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

I know her great work was done on the the stage, and I remember being very impressed by a straight TV showing of Happy Days, but the performance I'll most remember her for is in Gumshoe, which was wonderful.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

Truly one of my favourite actresses, no doubt. Those piercing eyes of hers just hypnotised me and she brought an every-woman quality to everything I saw her in. She could lead and play a supporting role with no less gusto or finesse.

My favourite role of hers was quite a small one, being Hayley Mills's mother in Twisted Nerve but her impact was just mighty. In a film which needed strong supporting roles to carry it through hers was a particular stand-out.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

I very rarely saw her - I don't think she was a prolific screen performer, saving her body of work for the theatre - but on the occasions I did, her vividness in performance was striking. Never the usual actor tricks, but as if she was going by another more unusual and distinctive route.

On a more obvious note, she was one of the main reasons why The Omen still scares the crap out of me.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

She was excellent in The Krays.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

And wonderful in Private Schultz.

Comment

Billie Whitelaw

She gave a memorable performance in the woefully under appreciated Charlie Bubbles playing Albert Finney's estranged wife Lottie. Her role in the film was immortalized by The Smiths:

Comment

Working...
                  X