• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfashionable/Uncool actors you like

I like Gary Oldman.

There - I said it!

(Oh, and actresses too, of course. That should be implicit!)

Comment

What's so uncool about Gary Oldman?

Comment

If anything, he is cool

Comment

Tom Cruise may be a prick in real-life, but he gets the job done. The last three things I saw him in Mission: Impossible 4, Oblivion, and Edge of Tomorrow were all good and he was good in them. In fact, I can't recall a film in which I thought he was bad (mind you, some of the films he's been in aren't great, but not because of him).

I like most of the highly paid super-famous actors. The internet is awash in bitter jealous assholes writing "[so and so] is sooo overated! She can't act!!!" But with very few exceptions, I find that's not true.

Acting is much harder than it looks and I believe that the general public doesn't really understand what it takes. They tend to conflate bad writing or bad directing for bad acting or, as is more often the case, their own idiosyncratic taste for objective indisputable fact.

Also, some otherwise decent actors seem to have a really hard time picking good projects. Kate Hudson is example 1 of that. After Almost Famous, which is outstanding and she's outstanding in it, I can't think of anything she's done that's very good and a few things that were total garbage, not because of her or her co-stars, but because of the script.

Comment

I'm probably the only one here who likes The Four Feathers with Kate Hudson. An old school adventure movie.

Comment

I think Gary Oldman gets a hard time (particularly here on OTF, where he almost seems to be regarded as the Bono of actors IIRC, because he started off so brightly with stuff like 'Prick Up Your Ears' and 'Rosenkrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead' but then - after wrestling with some personal demons, I believe - seemed to sell out by taking high-profile but 'campy' roles, such as in 'Leon' and 'The Fifth Element' (which I absolutely love, btw!).

You see, I accidentally watched 'Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix' on telly, last night, and he's in that, of course (almost reprising his role as Dracula, visually!) and it made me think of him. Mind you, his performance as Gordon in the Batman films makes even me cringe!

Comment

John C Reilly and William H Macy.

Comment

Both with names any serial killer would be proud of

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: John C Reilly and William H Macy.
                    With respect, they're indie faves and I can't see how they're not cool.

Comment

Jennifer Lawrence.

There is a scene in American Hustle where she goes off on one at Christian Bale's character and is screaming at him that all she wanted was for him to love her. I found it heart-wrenching.

I can forgive her pretty much anything for that scene. Even the Hunger Games.

EDIT: Agree with Reed John re Tom Cruise. Minority Report is still his best one, IMO.

Comment

evilC wrote: I think Gary Oldman gets a hard time (particularly here on OTF, where he almost seems to be regarded as the Bono of actors IIRC, because he started off so brightly with stuff like 'Prick Up Your Ears' and 'Rosenkrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead' but then - after wrestling with some personal demons, I believe - seemed to sell out by taking high-profile but 'campy' roles, such as in 'Leon' and 'The Fifth Element' (which I absolutely love, btw!).

You see, I accidentally watched 'Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix' on telly, last night, and he's in that, of course (almost reprising his role as Dracula, visually!) and it made me think of him. Mind you, his performance as Gordon in the Batman films makes even me cringe!
                        Really? Speaking as a Batmanphile, I thought his performance in those films was spot-on.

Comment

This made me think of actors that you just don't see anymore, damned by the whole 'who's hot' and 'who's not' bollocks.

Therefore, Judge Reinhold. I found his presence a welcome one when watching films as a child.

EDIT: just noticed on his wiki, Beverly Hills cop 4 is being made, with Brett 'x-men: the last stand, rushhour and horrible bosses' Ratner confirmed as director.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                            Originally posted by evilC
                            I think Gary Oldman gets a hard time (particularly here on OTF, where he almost seems to be regarded as the Bono of actors IIRC, because he started off so brightly with stuff like 'Prick Up Your Ears' and 'Rosenkrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead' but then - after wrestling with some personal demons, I believe - seemed to sell out by taking high-profile but 'campy' roles, such as in 'Leon' and 'The Fifth Element' (which I absolutely love, btw!).

Really? Speaking as a Batmanphile, I thought his performance in those films was spot-on.
                            I too thought he did a good turn in those films, and I've always liked him in whatever it is I've seen him in.

Comment

I think Adam Sandler would qualify for this thread...I know, he does some absolutely disgraceful films, Zohan and grown-ups being particularly bad, yet I watched 'that's my boy' last week, and found myself laughing an awful lot. Which is kind of the point, no?

Happy Gilmore will remain a favourite until the end, nobody's taking that one from me. Or the waterboy.

Comment

Jennifer Lawrence?

She's possibly the most fashionable actor around!

Comment

I liked Ronald Reagan's performance in King's Row.

Comment

iI I can change the terms to 'uncool actors whose performances you like in particular films', I'd nominate Orlando Bloom for Kingdom of Heaven
                                    I haven't been impressed by anything else I've caught him in but he makes a rousing hero in KOH

Comment

Haddock wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Hugh Fatbastard
                                      John C Reilly and William H Macy.
                                      With respect, they're indie faves and I can't see how they're not cool.
                                      And John C. Reilly has his Dr. Steve Brule coolness cred!

Comment

Reed John wrote: Acting is much harder than it looks
                                        It would have to be, because it doesn't look hard at all. It looks like people doing exactly what I see people in my real life doing all day.

Comment

Defending bigotry and exonerating Mel Gibson's racism is pretty uncool shit. So even if I liked Gary Oldman's acting (which I find very variable), I'd not like him.

Comment

gloveguy wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Reed John
                                            Acting is much harder than it looks
                                            It would have to be, because it doesn't look hard at all. It looks like people doing exactly what I see people in my real life doing all day.
                                            Don't underestimate it. Most of the time I'm hopeless at playing myself.

Comment

Victor Mature. The wooden actors' Mr. Wooden Actor.

Comment

Is Ben Stiller uncool? If so: Ben Stiller.

I've only seen 'Starsky & Hutch', one of the Gaylord Focker films and that film he's in in which Philip Seymour Hoffman has to leave a party because he's 'sharted' in his trousers, but he's always made me chuckle.

Comment

Clive Owen gets a lot of stick, but I like several of his films (and his performances in those films).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X