If you liked Fargo the TV series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure to watch Olive Kitteridge the mini-series. Not only because Frances McDormand from the movie Fargo is in it and produced. Because it's bloody brilliant and there is something about it which is similar in undertone and humor. Just under four hours well spent.

I thought about watching that, but couldn't figure out what the hell it's about. Can you expand on your review?

Comment

I suck at reviews, Reed, and with my history here I'll probably only make you stay away from it.

Much better you read this
      http://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/a-complex-life-hbos-unforgettable-olive-kitteridge

Comment

It's an excellent little piece about the life of a good person who's difficult to like, in a small New England sea town. Beautifully played throughout.

I'm not really sure how it relates to Fargo though? The characters in Olive Kitteridge are very much rooted in the observably 'real.' While those in Fargo are definitely in the hyper-real category.

Comment

Is their a brutal murder or other example of the banality of evil?

Comment

None whatsoever.

Comment

Then I don't see the Fargo comparison. I may watch it anyway.

Comment

The Fargo comparison is in the tone of storytelling, in the kind of humor. In how deliberately slow-paced its told which to some is annoying but to most who appreciate it only allows for you as viewer to study the characters better, get closer to them.
                Take Billy Bob Thornton's character in the TV series Fargo, how slow yet determined he moves, how stiff he is, how "ice" he is behaving as a human. That slows the tempo yet and adds a lot. It feels more like you're studying a neighbor through binoculars than watching a person on a screen.

The landscapes in both are also as much main characters in the series as any actor.

Martin Freeman's character in the tv series Fargo has a lot in common with Richard Jenkin's (Olive's husband). Both are overly kind on the verge of stupidly so, both are likeable and you would want to drag them by the ear at the same time.

Like I said, I'm shit at reviews. I guess to me, just like you say two movies are Film Noir, there's a Fargo kind of movie/tv series. Difficult to explain.
                Just watch it and ignore my thoughts beyond that.

As a side, I looked up Fargo the movie on IMDb and Frances McDermond isn't even listed among the 20-ish actors on the main page. You have to click "full cast" to find her. Very strange that.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: None whatsoever.
                  Well, the whole thing starts with Olive in the woods about to commit suicide. Then later on we have someone getting into trouble by the water, and we have an accident in the woods which becomes quite central, and a kid returning from the big city who's not feeling to well at all who Olive helps out in a brilliant scene in the car.

Not everything needs a brutal murder to be intriguing.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Is their a brutal murder or other example of the banality of evil?
                    Olive's quit bitter and blunt on the verge of brutal. And you could claim she's evil in how she behaves towards her husband who does feel it yet tries his oh so very best to just get their relationship back on track.

It's deffo among the best on TV 2014.

Comment

Working...
                    X