Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are your childhood TV favourites faring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American TV has a bit of a non-starter here as generally Sesame Street has maintained their major characters/actors.

Electric Company (which admittedly I mostly saw on re-runs) had some nobodies like Rita Moreno and Mel Brooks, and some never woulds like... um, Morgan Freeman.

I remember watching quite a lot of Fat Albert in the summertime. So... there's that one... which we won't revisit (since there is a whole thread).

And Bill Nye. Who is still fighting the good fight (if naively sometimes). (That might be a cheat, as I was out of high school by the time he was in his prime.)

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Mr. Pastry is dead. As is George Chisholm.
      but what about Mr Piper?

(I do know Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies was still alive the last time I checked)

Comment

Yes, F'P-F'D is still going strong. He's only 77, which surprised me a little. I thought he'd be at least 90.

Why doesn't he mention Screen Test?
        Indeed. Rodd was only four years out of university when he fronted the Test, if that LinkedIn page is to be believed. Which it possibly isn't.

Comment

J*h Womble wrote: Indeed. Rodd was only four years out of university when he fronted the Test, if that LinkedIn page is to be believed. Which it possibly isn't.
          The headline about his being the presenter of Tomorrow's World from 1969 to 1981 is a bit misleading.

Comment

Colin Bennett, who played "Mr Bennett", Tony Hart's caretaker in occasional unfunny sketches, is apparently still alive and active, although his Wiki is distinctly patchy. RADA trained, apparently. I doubt he features prominently in their list of alumni.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Christopher Trace is dead.
              Reg Varney is dead.
              Leslie Crowther is dead.
              Peter Glaze is dead.
              I'm beginning to see a pattern...
              In 2014, no one died . . .

Comment

Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years, who I think launched at least a million crushes) kept on acting, and studied math at UCLA, publishing a few papers along with a faculty advisor. She's since written several books trying to reach girls interested in math.

Comment

I think you are off by at least an order of magnitude.

Comment

The headline about his being the presenter of Tomorrow's World from 1969 to 1981 is a bit misleading.
                    If you mean in the sense that he was very much Raymond Baxter's bitch throughout that time, then, yes, I'd have to agree.

Comment

J*h Womble wrote: Yes, F'P-F'D is still going strong. He's only 77, which surprised me a little. I thought he'd be at least 90.

Why doesn't he mention Screen Test?
                      Indeed. Rodd was only four years out of university when he fronted the Test, if that LinkedIn page is to be believed. Which it possibly isn't.
                      & younger than Anna Karen (78) if Wikipedia is to be believed

Comment

Have to admit I had to look her up. She'll only ever be 'Olive out of On the Buses' in my world.

She apparently worked as a stripper prior to her TV success, which I found a little surprising...

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: Colin Bennett, who played "Mr Bennett", Tony Hart's caretaker in occasional unfunny sketches, is apparently still alive and active, although his Wiki is distinctly patchy. RADA trained, apparently. I doubt he features prominently in their list of alumni.
                          "Prof" Wilf Lunn is only 72 which surprised me and is still apparently inventing stuff.

Comment

Grotbags out of Rod Hull's various Emu vehicles in the 1980's is still with us, but doesn't seem to be involved in the business of show anymore.

Comment

The Clangers are apparently coming back.

However, Oliver Postgate died in 2008.

Interesting thing about Postgate was that he was big on nuclear disarmament and toured the country speaking about the subject and showing the 'banned final episode' of the Clangers where everyone's favourite pink aliens got involved in an arms race and ended up blowing up their moon. That episode never got shown on the BBC.

Comment

BBC fail to recognise Grotbags when she makes the news

Comment

Lovers of comedy aimed at a young audience, behold, Trevor and Simon of going live and live and kicking are still with us. I was fairly sure that these two were the Gods of comedy when I were a lad. Swing your pants!

I think this is their official site

Their twitter page

Comment

Gold or beans?

Comment

Working...
                                    X