Star Wars Trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post

Think in the expanded universe there’s a female of Yoda’s species called Yodel (?) but otherwise I’ve no idea
    She's called Yaddle and appeared in the Jedi Council scenes of Episode I.

Comment

Saw 'The Rise of Skywalker' tonight with my children.

It's hard to write anything about it without being spoilery so I won't say much but after a slowish start it really takes off (a trait of most of the films in the series) and I spent the final third alternating between blubbing and literally roaring with delight and yelping in glee.

I can't say it takes the story in new directions (one quite dark plot thread aside) but it does tie it up exceptionally well. My teenagers absolutely loved it, I suspect it actually may end up being their favourite of the main nine films (though only my son bothered with the prequels, which he enjoyed as he was about 7 when he saw them).
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-12-2019, 09:25.

Comment

I really loved it. I don’t think it repudiates the last film so much as complements it.

*spoiler*

I thought having Spider-Man save the day in the end was a bit much, but these are the times we are living in.

Comment

Saw it tonight. Thought it was OK. These 3 have been better than the prequels but I actually thought this was weaker than The Force Awakens.

It had some very enjoyable set pieces and throwbacks to the original films. It did as good a job as it could do tying up the loose ends after The Last Jedi and bringing the story to a satisfactory conclusion.

Comment

My obsessive, partially insane workmate said 'I hated it less than I hoped I would', which i thought was sort of clever.

Comment

I loved it. Some very clever little hat-tips to the original trilogy, some genuinely clever bits that airbrush the messy crap in The Last Jedi, and a genuinely satisfying ending. Sole complaint was possibly not enough humour for the kids in the audience - it did feel like it was aimed square at 40-something fanboys like me.

Comment

SPOILERS

The reaction to the Rey and Kylo kiss near the end from elements of the audience (especially my two girls, who I didn't realise had "shipped them so hard" before) would point to there being a lot in it for the younger fans.

Also, the response to the warm comic relationships between Poe, Finn and Rey seems to point to that being another popular factor with younger viewers. Obviously that has deliberate undertones of the Han, Luke and Leia relationship for fans of the original films as well.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-12-2019, 16:02.

Comment

Best bit - After forty two years, Chewbacca finally gets a medal. It was really nice too see Wedge again too (and if anyone deserved a medal back then it was him).

Worst bit - Space horses on star destroyers.

It wasn't as bad as I feared it could be, but it felt more like a super hero film than what Star Wars 'should' be.

Comment

I found it to be enjoyable watching, but thinking about it afterwards I am really annoyed with in some parts it just seemed to be saying "that stuff The Last Jedi said? Forget about it!" in parts. Rey being a Palpatine, Luke saying "I was wrong," Rose being completely shoved to the side.

Kylo/Ben remains the best part of the third trilogy.
                    Last edited by Incandenza; 23-12-2019, 16:05.

Comment

Well, if Luke didn’t say he was wrong, he’d have died bitter and broken. That wouldn’t have been satisfying.

That was the point. Anyone who practices a religion long enough will be let down by it sooner or later, and it often takes a young person to help them regain their faith. That’s not a repudiation of the second film, but a completion of his arc.

In that way, he was rescued by Rey, in a way, just as Luke rescues Obi-Wan and Yoda from retirement. If Luke hadn’t sought out Obi-Wan and then Yoda, they would have just died in obscurity.

It would have been more interesting if Rey really has been a nobody with no special parentage, but making her a Palpatine who *chooses* to be a Skywalker was another, more obvious, way of saying that genetics are not destiny. We are our choices.

I liked the horses bit. That’s a classic trope to represent nature versus technology and freedom versus empire. Very Tolkienesque. A bit obvious, really, but these films have to be comprehensible to kids.

They should have made this trilogy four films. There’s enough story in the third film for two and it would have given them more time to develop the Palpatine return and a few other characters like Rose and Keri Russell’s character.
                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-12-2019, 01:34.

Comment

SPOILER

Yeah, the charging across Withnail's Star Destroyer on horses was immediately preceded by him dismissively issuing an order to "block their speeders", which I presume means the ships can do something with a force field to do that. Withnail's minion timorously says "er, sir, they're not on speeders".

Comment

Did they need the space horses though? How far did they actually ride them? A hundred metres? Why not just get dropped off at the point they needed to be at? I realise I'm getting into Luke blowing up the original death star territory, but I really didn't like them.

Lando and the space horse girl at the end. Was that him trying to be the father she never had, or something creepier?

It was really nice to see that Jar Jar Binks made no appearance whatsoever, not even in the celebrating planets bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                            Did they need the space horses though? How far did they actually ride them? A hundred metres? Why not just get dropped off at the point they needed to be at? I realise I'm getting into Luke blowing up the original death star territory, but I really didn't like them.

Lando and the space horse girl at the end. Was that him trying to be the father she never had, or something creepier?

It was really nice to see that Jar Jar Binks made no appearance whatsoever, not even in the celebrating planets bit.
                            I was hoping J J Abrams was going to go full on "let's excise all the shit" and have Naboo blown up at some point. As yer man Palpatine is from Naboo as well it would sort of made sense, too.

Comment

Mrs Thistle was punching the air about Chewie getting a medal at last. A great injustice has been righted.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post

Yeah that was creepy AF

Comment

And all the horses will have died when the Star Destroyer went boom

Comment

All the riders got on the transport they came on (apart from Finn and friend) so I presume their steeds did too.

Some will probably have been shit in the charge, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      SPOILER

Yeah, the charging across Withnail's Star Destroyer on horses was immediately preceded by him dismissively issuing an order to "block their speeders", which I presume means the ships can do something with a force field to do that. Withnail's minion timorously says "er, sir, they're not on speeders".
                                      That or some kind of way to hack their control systems via Bluetooth.

They landed where they did based on where the destroyers cannons and shields would allow them.

If all of these details were explained, we’d have fans and some critics saying it’s boring. But when they leave them out, critics and fans say there are plot holes. They can’t win. It’s just impossible to make a big action film in the 21st century that makes everyone happy.
                                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-12-2019, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yeah that was creepy AF
                                        I think he was just offering to help find her genealogy. Not sure what the point of that was. Maybe they have plans for that in future stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          All the riders got on the transport they came on (apart from Finn and friend) so I presume their steeds did too.
                                          Nope. They just want you to think that they all escaped over a rainbow bridge to a big farm in the country. But sorry you can't visit them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I think he was just offering to help find her genealogy. Not sure what the point of that was. Maybe they have plans for that in future stories.
                                            It was just a really weird, and yes - creepy, moment that really took you out of the film. My guess, like Hot Pepsi's, is that they were plugging a future Disney streaming TV series.

Comment

Saw it again yesterday. Enjoyed it just as much. And I stick by my first impression that it basically overwrites ep8 and rightly so. Because ep08 was dogshit.
                                              Although Kelly Marie Tran has a decent case for feeling a bit aggrieved.

Comment

It doesn’t overwrite it. The events of episode 9 don’t make sense without 8. 8 is still better, but 9 is fine. It’s problem is that it’s too rushed. Should have been two films.

Comment

Spoilers obviously.

I enjoyed that. Early on, it tried to pack way too much in and many scenes were little more than action or exposition with endless thundering music. There was barely a scene where the characters could just be characters. They killed Chewbacca off then brought him back 15 minutes later, for no obvious reason. The writing was really quite muddled in the detail. In the overall sweep, though, it was satisfying. Kylo Ren has been so central to the success of this trilogy – he has provided the sort of emotional colour and depth that's usually lacking from Star Wars.

The scene of 'let's find out' was amazing, at least the way I read it: the theme of slavery has been a powerful one in these latter episodes, and I read this as a selfless offer to help find those lost roots.

Hobbes, why Ep 8 is dogshit? Serious question, I liked it at the time, though it has faded from my memory, which perhaps tells its own story.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Some will probably have been shit in the charge, of course.
                                                    Bit harsh. I'm sure they all tried their hardest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X