No announcement yet.

Star Wars Trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the Future part II is just filler in a trilogy.

I'm going to add the second Muppet film, The Great Muppet Caper, to the list of contenders.

Comment

I forgot Paddinton 2. That is ace.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Hot Pepsi I think NHH was referring to the opening of Star Wars when the stormtroopers invade the Tantive IV blockade runner and Vader swans in after the shooting has stopped.

Luke's uncle and aunt had the surname Lars, as did Shmi Skywalker after she married Owen's dad.
        I know but he was saying that in the end of ANH, he Leads from behind.

But Luke was going by Skywalker and Uncle Lars is Darth Vader/Anakin’s step-brother. He met him before. He knew where Tatooine was because he’s from there. If he really wanted to find Luke, he probably would have checked there.

I suppose, however, that he didn’t want the Emperor to find him so he didn’t tell the Emperor that he knew where he was. Vader’s hope was that Luke would help him overthrow the emperor and help him rule the galaxy.

Once Luke appeared on the stage of history, and Vader figured out who he was, so did the Emperor. So Vader’s plan was to bring him to the dark side or kill him.

I guess that will be covered in the planned Obi-Wan series.

edit: I looked it up. Apparently Lucas wasn’t even sure I’d a Vader was Luke’s father until he finished ESB. Or at least, he didn’t tell anyone. So the retcon, included in the comics, was that the Emperor told Vader his kids were dead. After the destruction of the Death Star, Vader wanted to kill the pilot who did it. Boba Fett found out that his name was Skywalker, and Vader figured out the rest.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 25-01-2020, 02:27.

Comment

Sorry to be a pain but NHH was referring to the beginning of Star Wars ANH.

It bothers me at the end of Rogue One, Vader piles in leading from the front. Yet about an hour later (at the start of Star Wars) he's much more 'Fuck this lads. I'm shagged out. You go first. I'll bring up the rear when you've sorted it all out.'
          The "an hour later" is the time lag between the end of Rogue One and the start of ANH.

Anyway, yes, the whole name thing is a bit obvious. There are probably in-universe reasons. I'm not sure the Empire had much joy in the outer rim though in terms of monitoring the population. Tatooine was an out of the way place and I don't know if it even had a garrison. Vader has to send troops down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Paddington 2
            For a Few Dollars More
            The aforementioned Toy Story 2
            Back to the Future Part II
            Desperado
            Indiana Jones and the Temples Of Doom
            Stuart Little 2 (although I realise this is because it means a lot to my family rather than anything else).
            Holy shit, boredy! Temple of Doom?!? What's wrong with you?

Comment

Sorry to be a pain but NHH was referring to the beginning of Star Wars ANH.

The "an hour later" is the time lag between the end of Rogue One and the start of ANH.

Anyway, yes, the whole name thing is a bit obvious. There are probably in-universe reasons. I'm not sure the Empire had much joy in the outer rim though in terms of monitoring the population. Tatooine was an out of the way place and I don't know if it even had a garrison. Vader has to send troops down.
              Oh, I see.

He was in more of a hurry in R1. The Rebels were about to escape in Leia’s ship. In the beginning of ANH, they’ve captured the ship. He could let the Stormtroopers do the dirty work and had time to make a dramatic entrance.

Also. Two different directors making two different films 40 years apart.

Apparently, the backfill story also suggests the Emperor killed Padme. It does seem unlikely that an otherwise healthy mother would die in childbirth in a society with medical droids etc.

Anyway, it seems that the Emperor either believed he’d killed Luke and Leia in the process, or hoped to someday recruit those kids to his cause and didn’t want Vader to know about them lest Vader do what he ultimately tries to do - get Luke’s help to overthrow the Emperor.

The cartoons and stuff that reveal a but more about the Sith show that it’s pretty much taken for granted in Sith culture that the apprentice will eventually murder his master. Revenge is also one of their cherished values. But it isn’t satisfying for them. The Dark Side is powerful and it’s easier, but it doesn’t resolve one’s anger or frustration.

You’re right that Tatooine was remote and the region of Tatooine Luke is from is fairly rural, so that would be a good place to hide except that it’s where Anakin is from and he’s familiar with it. One of the elements of the stories that works is that, despite all the technology, the galaxy is so big that it’s not very hard to hide there. That’s consistent with the old west vibe and I suppose it makes sense if you accept the “rules” of hyperspace.

Comment

Padme's death in Episode III comes after Anakin tries o force choke her because he thinks she has betrayed him. The Emperor then tells Vader that he has killed his wife in his rage.

Comment

But maybe the Emperor really did it to push Anakin over the edge and/or steal her life force. It’s a common fan hypothesis/belief. As I recall, the film makes it appear that she died of grief over Anakin’s turn to the dark side and apparent death. I think Lucas was trying to make her Ophelia and kill her off quickly because the film has already dragged on a bit. It just came off as a bit overwrought and not plausible in the context.

In ROTJ, Leia says she remembers her mother as beautiful, but sad. But Padme died when Leia was a newborn baby, so she wouldn’t remember her mother at all unless it was some kind of Force vision thing. It’s not really a plot hole, though.

Comment

It's definitely a plot hole. It's emblematic of Lucas as a filmmaker to pay no heed to his own previous work.

Comment

Rey: "oh no I've lightning electrocuted a transport ship filled with prisoners, including Chewbacca"

[Turns out Chewbacca was on another transport ship.]

Rey: "oh thank god, Chewbacca is still alive. And the other transport ship was filled with innocent prisoners, but they never appeared in the motion picture nor were known to the audience, so that's grand."

Comment

We don't know if the other transport had prisoners on it, do we? Could have just been stormtroopers who don't seem to count.* Besides, she didn't mean to do it and did feel pretty bad about it for a while, at least. That whole thing was rushed. If they'd made two films as they should have, they could have left Chewbacca's fate as a cliffhanger between the films.

*That's a problem that's addressed better in the non-film stories though, still, it's not great. For example, apparently Star Destroyers have like 50,000 people on them. So whenever the rebels kill one, that's a whole city dead. Yeah, they're Nazis and they blow-up whole planets, etc, but as far as I know, the only time this moral issue is addressed in a film is in Clerks.

Comment

It's definitely a plot hole. It's emblematic of Lucas as a filmmaker to pay no heed to his own previous work.
                          It's his story and he can do what he likes with it. I'm sure Lucas was well-aware of the inconsistency. He's thought all of it out a lot more than a lot of people assume he had.

Besides, it's not really a plot hole insofar as nothing in the plot rides on it and I'm sure Lucas or Dave Filoni or Rian Johnson or Kathleen Kennedy or one of the other many creative people working on The Franchise will find a clever way to explain that away.

Comment

Yes, and we'll probably get a whole movie about it.

I've always felt the prequels could be redone with a much better script, and a better actor playing Anakin. That would be simpler than trying to fix the plot holes post hoc.

Comment

I was 7 when I saw Return of the Jedi. It was the first film I saw having returned from Africa and as a family we saw it 3 times at the cinema. I loved it, mainly because it gave me some respite from horrible, confusing school and trying to integrate into a culture I was clueless about. Setting aside my emotional attachment to the film, and how important it was to me psychologically, yes it has issues. But whenever I hear someone sneering about Ewoks I just want to tell them to fuck off.

The speeder bike chase in ROTJ is the best action sequence in all 9 films. They've tried to copy it with pod racers, coruscant, and random bits in the new films and the start of Solo. They've never matched it.
                              How can anyone not like the ewoks. Taking out storm troopers with wooden logs and lassos.

Comment

Yes, and we'll probably get a whole movie about it.

I've always felt the prequels could be redone with a much better script, and a better actor playing Anakin. That would be simpler than trying to fix the plot holes post hoc.
                                Or, indeed, a wooden plank instead of Hayden Christiansen.

To be fair, 1977 Harrison Ford could get away with telling 1977 George Lucas to fuck off with his shitty dialogue. 2000s George Lucas wasn't to be argued with.
                                Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-01-2020, 18:03.

Comment

Yes, as I’ve said, The Clone Wars animated show has better overall storytelling than the prequels.

A long series is a better way to tell that story, so if they ever remake it, they’ll do it as a a streaming series like The Mandalorian.

But I do not think that will happen in our lifetimes. Better to spend the money on new stories.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-01-2020, 01:23.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                    To be fair, 1977 Harrison Ford could get away with telling 1977 George Lucas to fuck off with his shitty dialogue.
                                    Out of interest, did this actually happen?

Comment

More or less.

There’s going to be a series on D+ about Diego Luna’s character from Rogue One. He’s a spy for the nascent rebellion.

Comment

I don't even know who that character is

Comment

I don't even know who that character is
                                          He was the Mexican guy. His character is named Cassian Andor.
                                          https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cassian_Jeron_Andor

Comment

Oh right. I didn't know the actor's name.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              More or less.

There’s going to be a series on D+ about Diego Luna’s character from Rogue One. He’s a spy for the nascent rebellion.
                                              Great, I'll be on the edge of my seat wondering whether he survives those adventures...

Comment

I can’t see why that would matter. The lead character usually survives anyway.

Comment

Except in Rogue One, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    I can’t see why that would matter. The lead character usually survives anyway.
                                                    I guess I’m just getting completely bored of prequels where we know exactly how everything will end up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X