No announcement yet.

Star Wars Trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar feelings here, though the last two films (not counting Solo or the other Rogue One thing cos I haven't watched them) pissed me off for pandering to ageing fanboys (would kids enjoy them? I'm not so sure) as much as the prequels were a load of Lucas driven slapstick racist aliens for kids bollocks.

Comment

A lot of these big spectacle fillums feel
      like fan fiction these days, and it's piss. Ignore the geeks. Kill off Leia and don't fuck around with space Jesus shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Similar feelings here, though the last two films (not counting Solo or the other Rogue One thing cos I haven't watched them) pissed me off for pandering to ageing fanboys (would kids enjoy them? I'm not so sure) as much as the prequels were a load of Lucas driven slapstick racist aliens for kids bollocks.
        God forbid they make something that people will like.

Comment

I'm still wishing for the parallel universe where Spielberg got kicked off the shitshow shoot of Jaws before editing, and Lucas was stuck in the mire of trying to direct Apocalypse Now in his own ham fisted fashion and we were saved from Corman style B movies becoming what Hollywood spends all its money on.

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a genuine great B film but, maybe cos the worst impulses of both Lucas and Spielberg are cancelled out.

Comment

Brilliant bit of late night curmudgeonliness there with San Bernardhinault and Lang Spoon playing Statdler and Waldorf. I can understand the former's parting of the ways with the franchise after watching Episode One. I am not sure how I had the foresight to ignore that trilogy but I did and am glad that I did - although I often think that, now the later films had ensured that the originals won't be spoilt for me, I should, for completeness sake if nothing else. Basically, if you don't like Star Wars, no-one is going to persuade you that you will and, vice versa. I am intrigued by NS and San Bernardhinault liked the original and now have 'grown out of it'. I can't think of any of my favourite films from when I was younger - Some Like It Hot, the stupid Roger Moore James Bond movies, even the Disney classics like Bambi - not filling me with a thrill even if it is just of nostalgic evocation. The new films very effectively build on that nostalgic thrill as well as fairly common need to see what happened to your long-term heroes - see also Thunder Road, Blade Runner 2049 - even if it is what happened before the story you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                Brilliant bit of late night curmudgeonliness there with San Bernardhinault and Lang Spoon playing Statdler and Waldorf. I can understand the former's parting of the ways with the franchise after watching Episode One. I am not sure how I had the foresight to ignore that trilogy but I did and am glad that I did - although I often think that, now the later films had ensured that the originals won't be spoilt for me, I should, for completeness sake if nothing else. Basically, if you don't like Star Wars, no-one is going to persuade you that you will and, vice versa. I am intrigued by NS and San Bernardhinault liked the original and now have 'grown out of it'. I can't think of any of my favourite films from when I was younger - Some Like It Hot, the stupid Roger Moore James Bond movies, even the Disney classics like Bambi - not filling me with a thrill even if it is just of nostalgic evocation. The new films very effectively build on that nostalgic thrill as well as fairly common need to see what happened to your long-term heroes - see also Thunder Road, Blade Runner 2049 - even if it is what happened before the story you know.

Well, the first firm was great in it's own right and worked as pretty much a complete story, though there was, of course, some back story that we were unaware of at the time. But basically there were some baddies who, after a struggle, got their comeuppance and there were some great characters, special effects and action scenes. But when I watched it I didn't know that it was (just checked) part 4 of a how many-part story, that would unfold, out of sequence, for the following 42 years and counting.

As I said, when I watch the new films I'm just unsure who many of the characters are, what their relationships to everyone else is and of vast swathes of context.

Which feels really odd.

I should probably just spend 20 minutes or so on Wiki before I watch the next film, if I do, but if someone wants to give me a brief synopsis of where we are I'd be most grateful.

Comment

Rey, who may or may not be related to a goody or a baddy from the first films (she was told not in the last film by Emo Solo, but he's a baddy) has the force and is a jedi. Emo Solo is now in charge of the baddies having killed his boss with her help.

Comment

So am I right in thinking that Nocturnal Submission and San Bernardhinault believe the reboots have been aimed too much at kids while Lang Spoon thinks they've been made exclusively for aging fanboys and, er, not enough for kids?

As for the latter, the comment that the last two films of the main story were "pandering to ageing fanboys (would kids enjoy them? I'm not so sure)" is particularly peculiar as a) 'The Last Jedi' famously outraged a large section of the fanboy audience and b) my kids bloody love the films and the screenings of each successive film are always full of people their age.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      Rey, who may or may not be related to a goody or a baddy from the first films (she was told not in the last film by Emo Solo, but he's a baddy) has the force and is a jedi. Emo Solo is now in charge of the baddies having killed his boss with her help.

OK, good. Does having The Force make you a Jedi or, to become a Jedi, do you have to develop The Force within you? And what is a Jedi, (merely someone who has The Force?)

Emo Solo is the son of Hans and Princess Leia, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        So am I right in thinking that Nocturnal Submission and San Bernardhinault believe the reboots have been aimed too much at kids while Lang Spoon thinks they've been made exclusively for aging fanboys and, er, not enough for kids?

As for the latter, the comment that the last two films of the main story were "pandering to ageing fanboys (would kids enjoy them? I'm not so sure)" is particularly peculiar as a) 'The Last Jedi' famously outraged a large section of the fanboy audience and b) my kids bloody love the films and the screenings of each successive film are always full of people their age.

No, not for me. I'm perfectly happy with the tone of the films. I'm just utterly confused as to relationships and back story.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

OK, good. Does having The Force make you a Jedi or, to become a Jedi, do you have to develop The Force within you?
                          Unclear, this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Unclear, this is.

Haha! Are you born with it or do you develop it within you?

And what was Yoda?

(Was Annakin Skywalker Darth Vader's real name? Who are the Sith and where do they fit into the story? Where are we currently as regards the Empire V the Rebel Alliance - the former very much in the ascendancy?)

Comment

(W)hen I watched it I didn't know that it was (just checked) part 4 of a how many-part story, that would unfold, out of sequence, for the following 42 years and counting.
                              As the first one was counterintuitively called "Episode IV", they started explain that it was part of a 9 chapter series pretty early doors. I certainly knew about it around the same time as I saw it if not before and this became more clear as the original trilogy went on. They didn't explain that the prequels would be shit but you can't have everything. I am pretty sure that there was a time before the prequels when I didn't think that any more would get made and a time after when I hoped no more would which somewhat explains why the this century's films have been received well by the less geeky fanboys. If you want an explanation of the connections, this may help (the black lines are the family relationships).

...and this is a reasonable time line

Comment

Ta.

Right, it's a nine-parter. So the next once is the last one and ties everything up?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  I meant the Force Awakens really. I'm not sure who the mess of the last film was aimed at.

Comment

Yes, apart from all the spin-off gubbins which, when it gets to Disney TV series, even I might diverge from.

Comment

The charts have helped a lot.

Is Darth Vader's father The Force?

What's the difference between a Clone Trooper and a Storm Trooper?

Comment

OK, so it seems like I've seen the wrong bits of the wrong reboots.

Can someone confirm that I have no reason to ever see Episodes 2 & 3 - they don't provide any useful context and are basically all a bit rubbish?

And that the only stuff really worth catching up on are Episodes 7, 8 (and 9)?

Or should I try again with Rouge One (and those other spin-offs)?

Comment

The charts have helped a lot.

Is Darth Vader's father The Force?

What's the difference between a Clone Trooper and a Storm Trooper?
                                          Erm...yes, sort of... if I remember correctly Anakin/Vader was born, Christ-like, to a virgin mother, who was a slave on Tatooine.

I think the first Storm Troopers were the remaining Clone Troopers (who were all clones of Boba Fett's dad, Jango Fett?) but since then "normal" humans (are Star Wars humans technically humans?), such as Finn in the new movies, have also been recruited to become Stormtroopers (who, apparently also clean the toilets and take care of general sanitation duties on Imperial mega weapons, when they're not massacring civilians).

Comment

Cheers.

So who are the Sith? And what exactly is or was Yoda? I thought he was a wizened dwarf or something.
                                            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 25-10-2019, 15:46.

Comment

Not sure about the Sith apart from they’re basically the anti-Jedi.

Think in the expanded universe there’s a female of Yoda’s species called Yodel (?) but otherwise I’ve no idea

Comment

Thanks, again.

Comment

25 years ago I knew ALL of this stuff but since the prequels there’s too much background info and I lose track of what’s canon and what’s not.

Comment

Oh and looking it up, the female Yoda is Yaddle and is apparently on the Jedi council in the prequels.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X