Star Wars Trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Trailer!

Charles de Gallois wrote: If you had a female twin that you knew nothing about it's not that outlandish an idea that the connection you felt when you met them could be confused with romantic love.
    best Jeremy Kyle episode ever.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I always thought it was a nod to a Shakespeare plot device but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Rogin, the "somehow" is the key qualifier there. As Harry says, that feeling of knowing was confused with feelings that she may have felt were romantic for Luke. You know, even in a galaxy far, far away, your first thought isn't going to be "Is this eligible man the same age as me my brother?"

The main sticking point of the whole deal is actually that she might have had any romantic feelings for such a dopey drip. However, of course, she soon gives it up for Solo sensibly.

Anyway, could everyone stop this? The first trilogy is ace even ROTJ. Third films have to be a bit pony and it is just playing its part in that.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Well, I ignored my own advice above and have booked tickets for Thursday lunchtime on the 17th.

Avoid this thread from 3pm that afternoon, you should.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I'm not sure why people hate Return of the Jedi so much. I went to see it in the cinema with my Grandma and she loved the Ewoks. As did I, aged 7.

Nerds moaning on about it now. It's a family film for kids and if it's not serious and edgy enough for you then you can go and watch endless staff meetings in Star Trek the Next Generation instead.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

But also, Anakin Skywalker building C-3PO? Yeah, that was stupid. It's like everyone in the galaxy has to have a personal connection to Darth Vader, even the droids.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Neither does Darth "sensing" that Luke is his son …
                Then again, Vader is father in Dutch isn't it? Like the German Vater.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

The main characters were surnamed "Starkiller" up until almost the final edit (as if "Skywalker" is any better). It's a slippery road from there, via pointing out that "Tatooine" was a corruption of the actual town they filmed it near in Tunisia, to suggesting that "Jedi" might also be - you know, guys who dress in robes in the desert - a bastardization of "Jihadi". But no-one wants to go there anymore.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I am not sure whether this is well known but there was an anecdote this morning on Radio 4 that Alec Guiness - post SW - was coming out of a Catholic Mass and someone said "May the force be with you" to him and he answered "...and also with you"

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

That's the joke about Anglicans on Star Wars day.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Guiness was a Catholic convert so, while it is a joke as well, him being the source has a ring of truth to it.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

at current rates of growth/decline, when will jedi pass out Anglicanism and Catholicism in the census?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

According to Wikipedia: "In England and Wales 390,127 people (almost 0.8%) stated their religion as Jedi on their 2001 Census forms, surpassing Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism, and making it the fourth largest reported religion in the country"

Also according to Wikipedia: "Jedi was assigned its own code in the United Kingdom for census processing, the number 896.[29] Officials from the Office for National Statistics pointed out that this merely means that it has been registered as a common answer to the "religion" question and that this does not confer on it the status of official recognition."

Not sure about the rates. 0.0% to 0.8% in 10 years is a jump but hard to see that increase being replicated in the next one.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Ah, should have read the whole article: "According to 2011 census figures, the number of Jedi had fallen to 176,632, placing it in seventh place"

Maybe The Force Awakens will reverse the decline. A bit like the Catholics and Buddy Christ.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

The 2001 census was also conducted shortly before anyone had seen Attack of the Clones.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

One other big blopp in the whole "planned continuity" thing between the films: I'm sure at some point in ROTJ Luke asks Leia what she remembers of her mother, and she recalls some faint, albeit childhood, memory. It's implied that Leia was taken to be with her mother as a child.

At the end of Revenge of the Sith, of course, Amidala dies in childbirth.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Yeah. But some of us don't hold Revenge of the Sith as canon so ignore anything in that.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Some of us think Revenge of the Sith is excellent. Wait, am i the only one on here who thinks that? I hope not.

As for Leia in Jedi, she has only some images and feelings of her mother but she isn't sure. Luke has no memory at all. It's possible that the force in Leia gave her images of her mother.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Leia was brought up in a royal household. She probably didn't see her "parents" for years, and the person she thinks of as her mother was actually a nanny who got sacked for nicking stuff when she was about four.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Star Wars questionnaire link

My former PhD student is involved in a global questionnaire of Star Wars fans in advance of the new film. So you've got a few days to fill this out if you're interested. I filled it out answering generally 'meh' and 'couldn't give a shit' but that's me.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Patrick Thistle wrote: It's like everyone in the galaxy has to have a personal connection to Darth Vader, even the droids.
                                            Sith degrees of separation.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Serge Gainsbourg wrote: Sith degrees of separation.
                                              Very good.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I am pretty sure Leia hasn't seen "Revenge Of The Sith"

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

If she had, she might be asking "why is the actress playing Rey the SPITTING IMAGE of the one who played my mother"?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Genuinely have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X