Dumb & Dumber To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb & Dumber To

I'm going to see this regardless of what anyone here says, because whilst most reviews I've read don't rate it all that highly, they do tend to suggest there are just enough funny bits in it to make it worth the price of admission*. But what does OTF think?

*Bear in mind I live in South America, in a country with a parallel exchange rate, meaning 'the price of admission' at a cinema that's a two minute stroll from my front door = roughly £2.

Dumb & Dumber To

Saw it last night.

I genuinely laughed about 10 times, which is 10 times more than I laugh at your average Hollywood comedy.

The portrayal of basically all the women in the film is crude though, and not particularly funny. If you can bring yourself to ignore those bits, the rest is good.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

I've not read any reviews of this, although I have heard negative rumblings about it via social media and what not.

I think I'd want to know what a reviewer thought of the first film before deciding how much credence to give their thoughts. I love the first film, and can watch it repeatedly and laugh every time. If a reviewer who also loved it said the new one is a bit rubbish then that would give me pause. But if the reviewer is also slightly snooty about the first then I'd likely disregard them.

Regardless - and like you, Sam - I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing it anyway.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Really? I thought Dumb and Dumber was absolute cringeworthy rubbish. And I like Happy Gilmour, so it's not like I'm high brow.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Hobbes is surprisingly right on this.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

I wouldn't want to defend it from a cinematic point of view or anything, but I just think it's tremendously silly and funny, and it makes me laugh repeatedly every time I see it. Pisses all over anything Adam Sandler's ever done, for my money.

But I know that there are plenty who disagree - which is why I'd want to know what a reviewer thinks of the first film before it colours my judgement of the second.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Pisses all over anything Adam Sandler's ever done, for my money.
              That's not a very high bar. I found it (at the time - maybe history would look more kindly on it) the weakest of the major "gross out" comedies of that era. Well, apart from Freddy Got Fingered, I suppose.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

There was a lot to dislike about FGF, but the scene with the keyboard and the sausages still makes me laugh.

I think I may need professional help.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

My only contribution to this thread is to tell you all that the film's title in Quebecois is La Cloche et L'Idiot 2

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

I only mentioned Sandler because hobbes referenced Happy Gilmore.

And is D&D really a gross-out comedy? I don't think that's really the source of the humour at all (indeed, I can think of very few scenes that would qualify) - it's silliness that's at its core.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Arguably not, but it was definitely grouped with other so-called gross-out comedies that came out around the same time (eg FGF, There's Something About Mary, American Pie, Road Trip). I don't think it's a particularly useful label in retrospect, but I suppose it distinguishes them from trad rom coms and really light family comedies.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Ah, fair enough, I guess - although it's definitely a bit of a misnomer. I haven't seen FGF (and sounds like I probably haven't missed much) but I definitely would say Dumb and Dumber is superior to There's Something About Mary, American Pie and Road Trip - and I admit to enjoying all of those films.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

A quick scan of the critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes shows many, many mentions of "gross out" or "gross".

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Hofzinser wrote: Ah, fair enough, I guess - although it's definitely a bit of a misnomer. I haven't seen FGF (and sounds like I probably haven't missed much) but I definitely would say Dumb and Dumber is superior to There's Something About Mary, American Pie and Road Trip - and I admit to enjoying all of those films.
                            Don't forget 'Kingpin' in this conversation. It's possibly Bill Murray's finest vehicle.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Hofzinser wrote: I've not read any reviews of this, although I have heard negative rumblings about it via social media and what not.

I think I'd want to know what a reviewer thought of the first film before deciding how much credence to give their thoughts. I love the first film, and can watch it repeatedly and laugh every time. If a reviewer who also loved it said the new one is a bit rubbish then that would give me pause. But if the reviewer is also slightly snooty about the first then I'd likely disregard them.

Regardless - and like you, Sam - I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing it anyway.
                              The bit I've bolded is pretty much my thinking, too.

hobbes wrote: Really? I thought Dumb and Dumber was absolute cringeworthy rubbish. And I like Happy Gilmour, so it's not like I'm high brow.
                              It might (or might not) be worth my pointing out that I was eleven when I first saw Dumb & Dumber (and ten when it came out in the cinema).

I watched it again on Netflix shortly after posting the OP here, and must say I enjoyed it again. Although Antonio's comments about the women in it, which I read afterwards, made me think 'well, not much different to the first film, then.'

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Also, this seems like as good an excuse as any to post the most annoying sound in the world. This bit was unscripted and you can see Jeff Bridges starting to completely piss himself laughing just as the camera cuts in (right before audibly joining in himself). It's not big and it's not clever, but it makes me laugh every single time.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

This sequel was not as fun or funnier than the first, it was just dumb and dumber.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

Dude, where's my sequel?

Comment

Working...
                                    X