The Lost Land of the Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I completely recommend this to everyone. It's a brilliant piece of natural history set in Guyana on BBC on Wednesday Nights.

Guyana is a former home of mine and DG so it has been nostalgic for me to see it. However the best bits are showing the life in the jungle and the various attempts to track down new species.

Wed 8pm BBC 1.

Glad to hear it's good. I recorded it but haven't got around to watching it yet.

Comment

Guyana? I thought they were made in Coventry?

Comment

I saw it last week and it was excellent especially the mental insect bloke that climbed into a dead tree trunk (I am sure he has a technical title) and the woman up a tree.

More bats this week, I hope.

Comment

I saw the first one last night and while I enjoyed it, it was a bit irritating. It was basically the last ten minutes of Planet Earth expanded into a whole show. In other words, it wasn't a wildlife programme, but a programme about people who make wildlife programmes. I probably wouldn't have minded so much if I had realised that going into it. And the bits with the entomologist were good. I just could have done without spending so much time on abseiling down the waterfall or climbing up a tree.

Comment

The setting for this is absolutely stunning. The "naturalists" in it are appalling. They've all been briefed along the lines of "You've just seen an anchovy. Pretend it's the first one you've ever seen, eh? Look and sound AMAAAAZZED!".

The pillock trying to climb mountains, crying at every step while his more experienced colleagues are sat on ledges thirty feet above him listening to him whimper "every step ... here ... could mean CERTAIN DEATH! ... I don't know ... I don't know if I can carry on ..." is just ridiculous. Either he's an experienced climber really bigging it up for the cameras, or he shouldn't be on the mountain in the first place. As he keeps pointing out, yes, his sheer presence really is threatening the lives of those around him, and they shouldn't have let him do it.

Comment

To be fair, the entomologist was actually discovering things noone (in the scientific world) had seen before. Not sure about the anchoviologist.

Comment

Wasn't it the climber that was amazed by the anchovy rather than the fish expert?

My only issue with it was that I am sure that they could have walked down to the bottom of the waterfall by a much less dangerous (although possibly slightly longer) route but they realised how awesome the abseiling footage would look in the trailers.

To be fair, that is what attracted me to it

Comment

You can walk up the Potaro valley to the base of Kaieteur falls. However I don't think it is possible to get behind it by foot due to lots of rapids just afterwards.

I have a photograph of me sitting on the ledge of those falls with my feet dangling over - I took a plane.

Comment

Working...
                  X