Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Gilliam

Watched The Zero Theorem.
    I can't stand his films set in some weird, whacky, dark-mixed-with-colourful future.
    Always the billions of cables and pipes in every scene. Always.
    It's like watching a Hungarian sci-fi movie from the 1970's.

Actually, it's the million monkeys theory. If you give million monkeys a million years one of them will come up with.... that's the feeling I get watching a Gilliam film.

Terry Gilliam

Also, the dozens of caricatures he has in his films. Like he went back to Monthy's Flying and altered them a little bit.

Brazil is probably the only DVD I've thrown away. Not even given away. After all the hype I simply didn't want to see it there amongs the other.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Don't think I've seen The Zero Theorem. But I love Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. And almost everything else he's done. Even The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus and The Brothers Grimm, while throwaway, were pretty fun.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Zero Theorem is vomit inducing, pretentious nonsense with not a single meaning to it. Talk about trying too hard to make a film look interesting in every frame.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

I have to say, if you don't like Brazil, I'm going to take your opinion of his other films with a grain of salt. I think it's utterly brilliant, so we're clearly not responding to Gilliam in the same way.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

I'm not usually completely dogmatic about things on here, but on this point I'd just like to state:

PPV is wrong.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

I'd never got round to watching Brazil until a few months ago, pretty much put off by the 'deeply flawed masterpiece' trope surrounding it. There's nothing even remotely flawed about it, it's a masterpiece and I'm kicking myself that I hadn't seen it until recently.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Ginger Yellow wrote: I have to say, if you don't like Brazil, I'm going to take your opinion of his other films with a grain of salt. I think it's utterly brilliant, so we're clearly not responding to Gilliam in the same way.
                You're doing the right thing.
                Still, there was a meaning with Brazil. Zero is simply jiberish and seems to be made to show off weird costumes and scenes.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Even if some of his other films are a bit hit and miss, The Fisher King is simply sublime. One of the greatest films ever made.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Phew !

When I saw the thread title I thought TG'd died.

I haven't got 'round to Zero Theorem yet, but am going to as soon as I can.

Given that PPV thinks his complete works are shite, I'm bound to love this one as well.

Looking forward to it !

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Hang on now, the last two here.
                      Check my opening post again. I didn't say all of his films.
                      I said the ones set in some weird future.
                      12 Monkeys is good, I'll give him that. Seems though he was directed before directing himself. I can only imagine what it would have looked like if he was given free hands.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Hugh, knock yourself out

http://www.movhunter.net/watch.php?vid=14f87e59f

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Sorry, PPV.

I was aware of 'Piling On' when I posted, but hoped not to come across that way.

Quite right, you didn't come down on all TG's films, but it seems that's the direction you were heading.

Even when saying that 12 Monkeys was alright, you qualify that by saying he wasn't in complete directorial control.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Everything about Brazil is glorious, you madman.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Saw ZT a while ago now, thought it was messy but many types of fun. Thought it would bear a second viewing at some point.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

No worries at all, Hugh. Can see how it looked like I was dismissing all of his films, or on the verge.

I didn’t even know it was Gilliam. I watched it because Christoph Waltz was in it (Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds). I didn’t know until 20-25min in. Then it was obvious. I thought “this looks like some sequel to Brazil”. Looked up the film on IMDb and sure, TG had directed.

I detest Brazil. The style makes me cringe. Probably because it reminds me of all 500 Rubel in budget eastern European movies we got on Swedish television in the 80’s in Sweden when we had a week off in February and Easter. Also, I think I understand what Gilliam is after. Making the dystopia even more dystopian by using miles of wires and pipes instead of CGI or other effects. It simply does not work for me. It makes me want to choke the movie with both my fists.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Hugh, this in my OP

"Actually, it's the million monkeys theory. If you give million monkeys a million years one of them will come up with.... that's the feeling I get watching a Gilliam film. "

Obviously reads like all his output is shite. My wrong.

Comment

Terry Gilliam

Oh, you know why you all will simply love Zero?
                                    Waltz spends the entire movie speaking in third person.
                                    us on OTF are huge fans of this, are we not?

Watch the damn movie and puke.

Comment

Working...
                                    X