Greatest Sitcom Episode Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following on from the discussions of classic Sitcoms on the Dad's Army film thread, is there one singular sitcom episode that could be called the greatest ever? Steptoe's Desperate Hours leaps to mind, along with Porridge's Quiet Night In, Likely Lads Football Score one, or the Dads Army take on Brief Encounter. Personally the latter for me, but thoughts from the rest of you?

The Young Ones' Sick.

Comment

So The Simpsons count as a sitcom?

Comment

Likely Lads Football Score one
        No Hiding Place. And that would certainly be 'up there'.

At the risk of being obvious, there are two or three episodes of Fawlty Towers that are near-impossible to, err, 'fault'. The Germans and Communication Problems come to mind - the former for the insane fire drill segment, as opposed to that oft-quoted final scene with the Germans themselves.

One or two editions of Seinfeld might well make the cut, and the Larry Sanders Show ep where Hank starts to fall apart while serving his notice is quality throughout.

Comment

I'd go for the final (2nd of the two parts) Larry Sanders as the absolute peak, Steptoe and Son's Come Dancing (the last scene just about takes it above Desperate Hours) runs it close - I could watch them forever.

Comment

Reed John wrote: So The Simpsons count as a sitcom?
            The Simpsons is all things to all men ...errr, and women.

Assuming it is allowed, then this is one of my favourite episodes. However, including cartoon sitcoms does open up a can of worms, as you'd also have to include South Park, Family Guy et al.

Back in the live-action world there's the 'Tentacles Of Doom' episode of Father Ted; the 'Epiphanies' episode of Spaced (the rave one!); the episode of Frasier with the dolphin corpse; and too many episodes of Dad's Army, Cheers and Green Wing to remember.

edit: Oh, and the very first episode of 15 Storeys High!

edit 2: 'A Fish Called Selma' seems to be widely regarded as the 'classic' Simpsons episode, but I tend to prefer a few others above it.

Comment

S01E23 of Community, "Modern Warfare", the first paintball episode.

Or S09E08 of Seinfeld, "The Betrayal" - the backwards episode.

Comment

indysleaze wrote:
                Or S09E08 of Seinfeld, "The Betrayal" - the backwards episode.
                Oh yeah - that one is superb!

Comment

Red Dwarf The Despair Squid

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                    At the risk of being obvious, there are two or three episodes of Fawlty Towers that are near-impossible to, err, 'fault'. The Germans and Communication Problems come to mind - the former for the insane fire drill segment, as opposed to that oft-quoted final scene with the Germans themselves.
                    I think that's a perfect example of how the 'classics' are - sadly - not as influential as we might think (or wish). Everyone can say "Don't mention the war", ho ho, but some four decades after Basil said "That's exactly how Nazi Germany started!", you'd think that the stupidity of the final clincher had been finally nailed, so perfectly that nobody could ever use it in an argument again. But they do, all the time.

Anyway, I reckon some early episodes of Modern Family would stand up well. Let's dig up the thread in 2030 to check.

Comment

Also, my memory is shit. It's from "Waldorf Salad", apparently.

Comment

Scott Tenorman must die.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Red Dwarf The Despair Squid
                          Psirens is my favourite Red Dwarf episode.

The final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Men Behaving Badly when Gary has to look after Deborah when she just had her appendix out.

Pretty much any episode of The Office if that counts. I think the training day might be my number 1 for that show.

Comment

Yeah, "Freelove Freeway" is a work of genius. David Brent almost has a good song there, just as he is almost good at many things.

As for Seinfeld, there are so many to choose from, but "The Pez Dispenser" is a challenger, and of course the gay episode ("not that there's anything wring with it"), with that wonderful pay-off line ("But I've got Hand". "And you're going to need it").

Fawlty Towers has a few contenders as well. "Basil the Rat" would be my nominee.

Comment

Jon Voight's car

Comment

'The Trip', episode 6

Comment

I think 'Frasier' is probably my favourite sitcom ever and I'd choose 'Agents in America, Part III' or 'Ham Radio'.

Though I would pick two different episodes tomorrow, I'm sure.

Comment

And I would also have to consider 'A Fish Called Selma' as well as 'Marge vs the Monorail', 'Brother from Another Series' or 'Cape Feare' as other Simpsons candidates.

This is the most impossible thread.

Comment

The IT Crowd, the one where they go to the theatre.

Comment

Any episode of the Phil Silvers Show trounces just about anything else. I'll go for The face on the Recruiting Poster.

Although I'm ever so fond of The Battle of Godfrey's Cottage.

Military ensemble sitcoms are the thing, apparently.

Comment

Andy C wrote: Any episode of the Phil Silvers Show trounces just about anything else. I'll go for The face on the Recruiting Poster.
                                          The episode in which Bilko persuades Rupert Ritzik to dress up as a vampire has lived in my memory for many years.
                                          Another fave is the Cheers in which Cliff determines to stop being so dislikeable and hires a shock aversion therapist to follow him around administering electric shocks every time he says something doofus-like

Comment

Father Ted, Flight into terror.

Comment

Big Bang Theory - The Pants Alternative

Simpsons - Homie The Clown

Seinfeld - The Sniffing Accountant (largely for the Kramer bar scene)

Comment

God, it's impossible to pick out one in particular from Fawlty Towers or Porridge or Dad's Army, though for the latter 'Deadly Attachment' (the one with the captured U-boat crew) and 'Mum's Army' (the "Brief Encounter one") will always stand out]. I've also got a particular soft spot for 'All Is Safely Gathered In', where the platoon help an old flame of Godfrey with her harvest, which ends with everyone drunk on potato wine and a mass brawl with ARP Warden Hodges and co at an open-air church service.

Can't argue with Blackadder Goes Forth's 'Goodbyeee'. For Red Dwarf my all-time favourite is 'Gunmen of the Apocalypse', for Father Ted the magnificent 'Speed 3'. I have another great soft spot for The Good Life's Christmas special 'Silly But It's Fun...'. I love the first episode of Yes, Prime Minister, 'The Grand Design', and 'The Key' (where Sir Humphrey gets a delicious comeuppance). Comparing all of the above to establish a "greatest ever", of course, is chalk and cheese to say the least.

Comment

The Barbecued Dog one in Peep Show. Or The How Not To Live Your Life one where he thinks he's gay. Or even the Black Books one with the wine.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X