Netflix in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix in France

So it finally happened, after years of negotiation with different Culture Ministers and the lobbying against it from Canal+, all the Home boxes and TNT and their ilk- Netflix has landed.

They’ve had to promise usual high content of French language things, set up a Netflix France Production studio thing – but here they are.

I subscribed to the month free trial just to see how it compares to Netflix UK which I watch via VPN.

I think it’s better – things I didn’t see on the UK version like, “Watchmen”, two parts of the “Cornetto” trilogy, “Walking Dead”, “Star Trek” movies and pretty much all the rebooted Doctor Who right up to the end of Matt Smith.
    All Netflix productions – like Arrested Development final series, “Orange” etc and BoJack Horseman, are there -- -- except for ironically their most feted one, “House of Cards” was already being shown by someone like Canal+; but supposedly that will be resolved.
    Missing things are various BBC series – which is a shame; but I need to do a heavy session on the search button. Plus teh fRench like brit series so more maybe added.
    As for all this high number of French language content – well apart from seeing a few in classic films from Bardot and Belmondo they aren’t swamping the joint.

Advantage for me , is no VPN required so better streaming - so potential saving of not having to pay out for a UK IP address; but have to weigh up getting rid of that as sometimes watch BBC iPlayer.

Netflix in France

Get a DNS changing service such as UnoDNS or unblock-us and you can not only watch iPlayer but switch to any Netflix region you want. Speeds are much higher than a VPN

Comment

Netflix in France

It's coming to Germany as well, I believe.

Is the content you mention original language, subtitled or dubbed?

Comment

Netflix in France

Hi Stumpy
        You select your language preferences in Netflix, as English and if it was English - ie Breaking bad, Doctor Who etc- it is in English.
        Obviously if it was never dubbed you get whatever it was recorded in originally.

thanks Haddock - I will look into that - I am using L2P2 as teh protocol, as that ws the more stable VPN variant - but that loses about 60 - 75% of the bandwidth - I will check out this DNS changing system f which you speak - although I seem to recall when setting up the VPN that is mentioned as part of the DD WRT control panel settings.
        i will play around though.

Comment

Working...
        X