Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign-language TV series

That would be non-English

I've seen Generation War and Corleone on that list. The last was pretty dull so I gave up after two hours. I had no idea there was a City of Men. Am downloading that right now.

I'm sure a better list can be made.

Given that there's a Colombian and a Mexican soap on that list, I'm assuming they must be wildly out of the ordinary for their respective nations, or more likely it isn't a list of the very best series. Because Colombian and Mexican soaps - at least the ones that get shown here - are bloody dreadful.

I'm not a big fan of the other Mexican show, El Chavo Del 8, either, though he has a huge cult following here as well (it might be worth pointing out that Argentine TV is pretty bad as well).

Comment

The description for Tatort really gives you an idea of what makes the show special

A long running German cop show where detectives work to solve a crime
      Sounds groundbreaking.

Comment

A significant part of Tatort's appeal is that episodes are produced regionally, with different inspectors and lots of local colour.

I've known Germans to become genuinely excited when their home towns are featured.

The wiki give an idea of its breadth.

Other Italian series worth mentioning are Il commisario Montalbano and Gomorrah, which Berbaslug mentioned a while ago.

Comment

Montalbano is completely off its head. Very easy on the eye but the plots make no sense. In one ep, the Inspector attended an incident where two blow up dolls had been mutilated and put in a dustbin.

Comment

Tatort is one of the few shows in German TV worth watching.

Comment

Very easy on the eye but the plots make no sense.
              And therefore a cunningly accurate portrayal of the Italian criminal justice system.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: The description for Tatort really gives you an idea of what makes the show special

A long running German cop show where detectives work to solve a crime
                Sounds groundbreaking.
                Heh. Reminds me of one of my favourite Taggart episode synopses :
                People are found dead and Taggart must catch the killer.
                Anyway. I've seen quite a few of the shows in PPV's list. And some other non-English language shows too. So there. I think I accidentally voted for Kaamelott which is annoying as it's terrible.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Tatort is one of the few shows in German TV worth watching.
                  Not all of them. I can't abide the Münster duo. The last two Hamburg Kommissare have been rubbish as well. And I'm not all that fond of Wilhelmshaven.

The best ones are Stuttgart and Cologne. Berlin was good as well, but I think they're getting new actors in.

The undisputed daddy of them all, however, is the Rostock-based Polizeiruf 110: I'd cancel my holiday to watch that. Great stuff.

I've known Germans to become genuinely excited when their home towns are featured.

My former deskmate's from Bremerhaven. When one of the Bremen-based Tatort episodes was set there, he didn't shut up about it for literally weeks.

Comment

treibeis wrote: My former deskmate's from Bremerhaven.
                    You share a desk?

Comment

Yes, sort of. It was a big table with one of us at either end. I suppose he was "the bloke who sat opposite me" rather than "my deskmate". But why use loads of words when only two will do?

Comment

MsD wrote: Montalbano is completely off its head. Very easy on the eye but the plots make no sense. In one ep, the Inspector attended an incident where two blow up dolls had been mutilated and put in a dustbin.
                        surely that would set all sort of warning alarms ringing?

Comment

? What, that a senior police officer hasn't got enough to do?

Yes, someone did later turn up murdered with wounds in the same places as the dolls, but until then, they were just two dolls in a bin.

Comment

Wallander (non-Branagh) would be my choice

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0907702/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Heimat was highly praised back in the 1980s

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087400/

Comment

I loved Heimat.

Comment

Not a series, but the brilliant The Lives of Others is available on iPlayer until Friday.

An Oscar-winning German film about the Stasi in the 1980s, not as grim as it seems from the outset or from the description.

Comment

Working...
                                X