Extras in scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extras in scenes

I'm constantly fascinated by background activity in films or series with lots of extras, in particular ones set in rustic settings like medieval villages. Star Trek : TNG is especially good for this, whenever they visit an apparently rustic community you find people in the background apparently carrying bales of straw into the middle of the village square and just dumping it onto a pile, or a group of people paying studious attention to a single barrowful of earthen pottery, at what appears to pass for the entire village market.

And there will always, always, be two or three children running throught the set at some point, evidently in some game of chase. And, usually, some men stood around comparing longbows, practising their technique for firing imaginary arrows at imaginary targets.

Is it someone's job on set to "create" this imaginary background world, or do they just hire a load of jobbing actors as extras, give them a costume and tell them to improvise? It's quite often unintentionally hilarious.

Extras in scenes

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Is it someone's job on set to "create" this imaginary background world, or do they just hire a load of jobbing actors as extras, give them a costume and tell them to improvise? It's quite often unintentionally hilarious.
    Combination of the two I think.

Pay rates for extras are very complicated and granular.

I know there are different fees for extras who say nothing, say nondescript words or have a very small speaking part.

And presumably having to shave off your hair to be Skinhead #3 gets you more money than Man Sitting at Bar.

Comment

Extras in scenes

There's one extra in the final scene of Teenwolf who looks like a man getting his knob out in the final, climactic celebration scene. Look for the person in the red jumper behind Michael J Fox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFVpPvj__I

The camera pulls back to show it's actually a woman.

Comment

Extras in scenes

This thread is a good excuse to revisit this OTF post about the best ever casting entry on IMDB.

Comment

Extras in scenes

That's outstanding.

I like extras-studying. Corrie is always good for this, especially in the Rovers. The last episode we watched included a scene where two characters got out of a cab in the Street. One told the driver to keep the change, and he replied "Thanks."

Mrs. S and I, almost as one said "He'll get a bigger fee for that."

Comment

Extras in scenes

I read an article a few years back about the extras/retirees community in Toronto. Old people basically sit around waiting for crowd scenes, court room scenes, etc. They make their $100 for the day and go home. They knit, chat, give each other misinformation about medication, etc. It's like a job/hobby (jobby?) for many of them.

Extras in court room scenes - especially the elderly - have a special knack for looking interested enough to turn up to watch a court trial, but disinterested enough to register no facial expression for hours on end, nor root either way for the person on trial.

They're like the mob that pumps their fist up and down during a fight scene with absolutely no conviction at all, while studiously trying not to look directly into the camera.

Indiana Jones films are very good for this look.

Comment

Extras in scenes

Sits wrote: Mrs. S and I, almost as one said "He'll get a bigger fee for that."
              Yeah, the corollary to that is the pizza delivery extra who arrives at the door, completes the transaction, pleasantly accepts his tip and leaves without saying a single word. Just to keep to the lower union scale.

Comment

Extras in scenes

WOM wrote: Extras in court room scenes - especially the elderly - have a special knack for looking interested enough to turn up to watch a court trial, but disinterested enough to register no facial expression for hours on end, nor root either way for the person on trial.
                It's a more productive use of their time, when compared to those pensioners who go to church to attend weddings and funerals of people they don't know. At least you get paid for being an extra.

Comment

Extras in scenes

Pay rates for extras are very complicated and granular.

I know there are different fees for extras who say nothing, say nondescript words or have a very small speaking part.

You get paid more based on 'special skills' too. For instance one friend who does extra work, lists fencing and riding. If a role appears that requires a woman on horseback, she'll make a fair bit more.

Once you've got enough hours to join the union it's a good part-time gig. We know several people — most do something in "the Arts" — who pay the rent doing extra work, a couple have gone on to full time careers in the industry.

Comment

Working...
                  X