Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misleading promotional material

Two that spring to mind.

1. The UK VHS cover of Abel Ferrara's Driller Killer. A somewhat innocuous feature about a struggling artist being driven mad my city life and the dreadful punk band next door, opened without much fuss in the US. By the time it got the UK, this notorious cover forever associated it with the video nasties panic. Ironic, as it's not a particularly gory film.

2. Werewolves on Wheels, a 1971 American International exploitation flick. I don't want to spoil it for you, but there's a lot of wheels, but precious little of werewolves actually riding them. Which is a shame, as I thought that was the point.

Misleading promotional material

Comment

Although I haven't been to the cinema for many years, I still read film reviews in newspapers. When the film 'A Single Man' was released in 2009, I assumed it was about heterosexual characters because men and women appear on the adverts and posters. I was therefore very surprised to read in the reviews that the film is actually about a gay man. I can only assume that the advertising was handled by a company which had not bothered to consult with the film's producers and had made up their own mind that the best way to sell the film was to market it as being about heterosexuals.

Comment

Working...
      X