Mundane Film/TV Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Film/TV Thread

When watching Lewis my eyebrows are raised at the guest actors who turned up on Morse who are now turning up on Lewis as different characters. That Morse and Lewis co-habit the same universe, you'd think that Lewis would be slowed down in his investigations by being largely baffled at how many of the suspects identically resemble those he shopped in the past. Did they escape prison and reinvent themselves?

Mundane Film/TV Thread

The German crime series Tatort used to do that quite a lot.

The actor Axel Milberg, for example, spent years playing creepy blokes who were always suspected of committing crimes (normally sex offences or murders), but who always turned out to be innocent. Then, all of a sudden, he became a DCI Klaus Borowski in Kiel.

Either the Kiel Police Department were unaware that one of their DCIs used to get arrested at least three or four times a year for at least a decade, or they just didn’t care.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

Same with Columbo wasn't it? William Shatner was copped twice, as was Jack Cassidy (David's dad) and Robert Culp. Not to knock Lewis and Columbo for doing it - they're both ace despite this (having not seen Tatort, I can't comment) - but it does play merry hell with the continuity of those universes. Mind you, on Lewis, it sounds like the producers (who originally helmed Morse) hiring actors they liked to appear again. In Columbo, it felt as if Peter Falk had a say in things, welcoming back co-stars he became chummy with (Patrick McGoohan comes to mind, also).

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

Amy Pond was a Roman.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

I think Ray Meagher played three different villains in 'Prisoner: Cell Block H'.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

How many different roles in Minder did Rula Lenska play?

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

The excellently named Garret Dillahunt featured in two seperate roles on hbo's Deadwood.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

How many different roles in Minder did Rula Lenska play?

Countess Roza-Marie Leopoldnya Lubienska played three different roles in Minder.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

I think Ray Meagher played three different villains in 'Prisoner: Cell Block H'.

You think correctly - Geoff Butler, Ernest Craven and Kurt Renner.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

hobbes wrote: Amy Pond was a Roman.
                    Martha's doppleganger was killed by Cybermen at the end of the series before she became the Doctor's companion.

Gwen from Torchwood was previously on Dr Who as a Victorian servant killed by elemental force creatures in 19th century Cardiff. I think they did reference this in a Dr Who / Torchwood crossover episode.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

John Ratzenberger, aka Cliff in Cheers is in Empire Strikes Back. He's the deck officer who tells Princess Leia they have to shut the Hoth base blast doors even though Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are still out in the snow.

He has also voiced a character in every single Pixar movie, starting with Hamm in Toy Story. Sometimes he only has one or two lines.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

I remember at the time thinking I hadn't grasped some historical significance of the repetition. I've since concluded that he was that good that they didn't want to let him go. As it turns out, the second character he plays is, indeed, much more watchable in a brrrrrrrr sort of way. Man, that show was so good.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

There's a fella, blondish with a slightly long face, who has appeared about three times each in Morse, Lewis, Poirot and Midsomer Murders. And I can't remember his name for the life of me, despite having seen him on stage and thinking, 'It's him!'

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

Oh shit, I think I know who you mean, and I can't remember his name either.

The Bill often had actors playing prostitutes or low life thieves, who would reappear as police officers a few months later, or a few hours later if you watch old episodes on cable.

The new Inspector Barnetby (Scunthorpe joke) appeared as a gardener in Midsomer, before becoming John Nettles' cousin in one episode and then taking over the lead. The producers needed another Barnaby as the show is called Barnaby, and is insanely popular, in Scandinavia.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

All the Law and Order franchise recycle actors, too.

Comment

Mundane Film/TV Thread

Dennis Franz as Benedetto and then Buntz on Hill Street Blues. Another actor who was so good in the first role the the producers obviously regretted killing him off.

Comment

Working...
                                X