Richard who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard who?

Headline on my local news site: "Jurassic Park star dies".

9:27am Richard Attenborough, actor whose character gave the world dinosaurs again, dies aged 90

Gee, thanks for the dinos, Dicky. Did you ever get around to doing anything else? FFS.

I hope he gets treated better in the UK, considering he saved the country from the Nazis every Sunday afternoon on my telly. RIP, and thanks.

Richard who?

It's one of the lead stories on the BBC television news and website currently, where the headline is the prosaic yet encompassing "Film's Richard Attenborough dies". Fulsome obituary, slideshow of pictures from throughout his career. A lot of talk of Gandhi in particular representing his directorial career, and of Brighton Rock from his acting career though obviously the likes of The Great Escape and, indeed, Jurassic Park are getting look-ins as well. I think it's fair to say he'll get treated a good deal better over here, yes. The news has probably broken too late for the morning's papers, but he'll be on a fair few front pages the next day I should think. A very fine actor and director and a man of strong principles, he was beloved by a good many people — as of course is his kid brother; what a remarkable family — and I'm personally very sad he's gone although it's far from a surprise as he'd not been in good health for several years. RIP, and thanks: though, as tee rex says, for a lot more than just the T-rex.

Comment

Richard who?

Local news can be a parochially dim entity of narrowed horizons. My local paper, the Wolverhampton Express & Star, is probably only one of a few publications in this country that think Iain Duncan Smith is a sensible man doing a fine and trustworthy job.

To Attenborough, well, RIP to the man. I'd echo what Velvet said, he was a good, solid filmmaker with a decent soul that underpinned a strong body of work both before and behind the camera. For one of his best character works against type, I'd nominate the creepy 10 Rillington Place, and for one of his directorial efforts, I'd recommend the underrated Magic, rather than his star-studded epics.

A shame, I liked him - a dependable and talented man.

Comment

Richard who?

What Ian said on both Rillington Place and the Express and Swastika (as it's widely known locally).

Top Chelsea geezer. RIP dahling

Comment

Richard who?

ian.64 wrote:

To Attenborough, well, RIP to the man. I'd echo what Velvet said, he was a good, solid filmmaker with a decent soul that underpinned a strong body of work both before and behind the camera. For one of his best character works against type, I'd nominate the creepy 10 Rillington Place, and for one of his directorial efforts, I'd recommend the underrated Magic, rather than his star-studded epics.

A shame, I liked him - a dependable and talented man.
          I wholeheartedly agree with this especially the nomination for 10 Rillington Place. Is there a better performance of a serial killer? Every movement he makes and every look he gives is genuinely creepy. I find his performance in that movie more terrifying than any horror movie i have ever seen.

Comment

Richard who?

A sad loss, RIP.

Comment

Richard who?

One of my favorite scenes from any movie ever is the introduction of Big X in Great Escape. Attenborough is so great in that short span you get the full sense of the character in just minutes.

Both Gandhi and Cry Freedom are deeply flawed, but fantastic efforts in their own way. And Chaplin's reputation has grown in the years since.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
              X