Films with very small casts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen two good ones lately that fall into this category.

Locke: Which takes place entirely in Tom Hardy's car as he drives to London from somewhere north. As the ride continues he makes many phone calls on his hands free device and fucks up his entire life. It's remarkable. Other characters' voices on it, but he's the only one onscreen.

The One I Love This fits into another favorite micro-category of mine: Films That Could Have Been Twilight Zone Episodes.
    There are only three actors with any speaking role and only two of them do much. It's such an odd premise and plot that I can't really say much about it other than to recommend it.

Moon Not one I've seen recently, but one of my favorite recent sci-fi films. Sam Rockwell runs a helium mining operation on the Moon.

Also could be a Twlight Zone episode.

Robert Redford did a single-handler in All Is Lost last year. Good film too.

Comment

My Dinner with Andre drops nicely into this category.

Comment

Knife In The Water

Comment

All is Lost was remarkable. It also had almost no lines.

Comment

Gravity is am obvious one, I guess. Not as brilliant as the others mentioned, though.

Comment

Sleuth - a perennial favourite. Olivier and Caine going at it like sharply-scripted snakes. Do not want to see the remake.

Comment

Does Plaza Suite count? Barring a fleeting appearance from one or two characters, it retains a core of three actors: Walter Matthau, Maureen Stapleton and Lee Grant.

Comment

Cast Away (although lots of new characters turn up at the end).

Come to think of it, Castaway, too, the far superior 1986 one with Oliver Reed playing himself and Amanda Donohoe running around in the nuddy.

Duel was just the one bloke in the car, wasn't it? I don't think we ever get to see the driver of the truck.

Silent Running was just Bruce Dern, after he killed the other ones.

Comment

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Sandy Dennis, Liz Taylor, Richard Burton, George Segal.

Comment

Dark Star - Three guys (including Dan O'Bannon, writer of Alien), and four if you include a brief appearance by a refrigerated dead captain.

Comment

Don't forget the space hopper.

Comment

No, no! Visual effects shouldn't really count, I'm afraid.

Comment

Phone Booth.

Just Colin Farrell and Kiefer Sutherland really.

Comment

Just the three of them in Blair Witch Project, as well.

Comment

I thought the film version of God of Carnage only had four people in it, but it turns out there were six of them.

The entire cast of Mein letzter Film consists of an aging Hannelore Elstner. Basically, she stares at the camera for an hour and a half and bangs on about herself.

When ex-Fräulein treibeis dragged me to the cinema to watch it years ago, she was a bit disturbed to discover that, of the 20 or so people there, she was the only female and we were the only people who weren't alone.

She was convinced the other members of the audience - all in their mid-50s or older - were thinking back to the Hannleore Elstner of their youth and then craftily cracking one off.

(Which they may well have been; I did't inspect the state of the seat backs or the floor after they'd put the house lights back on at the end.) film had finished

Comment

How's about Rear Window? Yes, you have a lot of people within the buildings in that marvelous set, but they're not really cast members are they? Extras, technically. Take that away and you've got Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter and Raymond Burr.

Comment

Purple Rain

Comment

I saw Prince earlier this year, and he was actually taller than I thought he would be. Also wasn't as good as I thought he'd be.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                                        Locke: Which takes place entirely in Tom Hardy's car as he drives to London from somewhere north. As the ride continues he makes many phone calls on his hands free device and fucks up his entire life. It's remarkable. Other characters' voices on it, but he's the only one onscreen.
                                        Reminds me of Marion & Geoff, in which you only ever see Rob Brydon, except (a) he addresses his webcam (b) it's not a movie. Excellent, funny and sad though.

Comment

Patch Adams had a number of very small casts.

Comment

Moon starring Sam Rockwell sprang to mind. I bloody love that film. No that isn't doing it justice, I think it's amazing on pretty much every level. And the soundtrack's composed by Pop will eat itself's Clint Mansell, which is a bonus.

I haven't seen it, but is 127 hours with James Franco applicable? I've heard that it's just him for most of the movie.

Comment

There's also his wife, and Gerty, and according to IMDB 8 others. Still, you don't see much of them.

Comment

I forgot about 127 hours.

Technically, it has a larger cast because there are a lot of flashbacks, etc. But mostly it's just him stuck in a rock.

Comment

Oh great...thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X