X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin Williams

Dead of an apparent suicide.

Robin Williams

Bollox. From what I understood he had really cleaned up the last few years.

He was always up and down. I can only hope he has found some kind of peace, but 63 is tragically young these days.

Comment

Robin Williams

Bizarre. It has been announced that Robin Williams has died but almost immediately there are reports that it is a hoax.

Maybe he read the "Overrated films" thread

Comment

Robin Williams

BoE, he's been the subject of celebrity death hoaxes previously, but the Marin County Sheriffs Dept. put out a statement, and his wife has confirmed the news.

SF television station saying that he hanged himself, he had been suffering from depression. Fuck.

Comment

Robin Williams

Holy fuck

Comment

Robin Williams

Yes, it's just been confirmed here. Who puts those hoaxes out? Sick fucks.

He had checked back into rehab in July and had this photo taken when he was there. He doesn't look too healthy.

Comment

Robin Williams

Classy.

Read the bit within the red line, then the bottom.

Comment

Robin Williams

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Bollox. From what I understood he had really cleaned up the last few years.

He was always up and down. I can only hope he has found some kind of peace, but 63 is tragically young these days.
                It seems he was bipolar (so up and down, indeed) and so maybe the substances were about self-medication (as with many addicts).

Sad as.

Comment

Robin Williams

That's terrible.

Feeling just a little bit bad about my post on the Overrated Movies thread right now.

Comment

Robin Williams

I was reading Deborah Curtis's biography of Ian just last week and thinking what an horrendous way that is to find your husband dead. I would hope that he did not do the act at home, or that it was a moment of desperation rather than planned.

Comment

Robin Williams

Tragically, reportedly he did do the act at home. I was literally open-mouthed when I saw the news of his death at just 63 break on BBC television a couple of hours ago, then still more so a few seconds later when the scrolling ticker revealed the devastatingly unexpected "apparent suicide by asphyxia" detail. He was someone who seemed so very 'alive' in the sense of possessing so much, well, vivacity — one of those people whom the thought or sight of would always cheer me up during my own depressive times. An awful thing to hear this news.

Comment

Robin Williams

Shit. I'm not sure exactly why this makes me as sad as it does. But a long and admittedly uneven career, yet with a lot of touchstone movies and roles for specific points in my life.

Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets', Aladdin, Good Will Hunting. And Homicide. And the stand-up. I mean damn, as a kid I probably memorized half of the 1st and 3rd of those, and at a push might be able recall most.

RIP.

Comment

Robin Williams

It's so sad.

That someone who brought so much joy to so many can have felt so much pain as to not see an alternative.

So, so sad.

RIP

Comment

Robin Williams

I'd forgotten his appearance on Homicide, but now that I'm reminded of it, I recall that it was outstanding.

Comment

Robin Williams

My son told me the news a couple of hours ago... Truly sucks and is extremely sad. Though knowing his history of psychological difficulties perhaps his suicide is unfortunately not too shocking.

His movies were hit and (mostly) miss - no one can possibly say there is a dearth of robin Williams movies - but was there anyone snappier at improv? His appearances on Carson/Leno/Letterman had me in tears. Likewise his standup was hilariously manic and exhausting.

His mentor, Jonathan Winters, also suffered through depression. No idea if Winters' passing last year had anything to do with taking his own life.

Comment

Robin Williams

He sat down for an interview with Marc Maron when WTF was still relatively new. I'd encourage everyone to pay to get access to the archives to download it, but it's also up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLi1Mc7g30

He talks a lot about his substance abuse, depression, and insecurities. I found it a really gripping listen, it might be too much to hear it now for a while. Even those that seem to have it all can still be as damaged as the rest of us.

Comment

Robin Williams

So sad. In his earlier years he was often a bit too manic for my tastes, but he had that kind of infectious energy that brought a smile to your face and left you feeling warm inside.

As I'm an early riser, I often think of that line from GMV when he announces himself on the radio for the first time at 0600 hours.

"And what does the 0 stand for? Oh my God it's early!"

I loved him in Dead Poet's Society, one of my all time favourites. And I thought he was good in Insomnia, where he kind of reinvented himself as a darker character.

Comment

Robin Williams

I'll be interested in the reactions to his suicide. Most will see it as the tragedy almost every suicide is. But the degree to which the "he had everything" line will be trotted out will reveal how far society has come in understanding suicide.

Comment

Robin Williams

Genuinely shocking news to me (and it's a world that provides plenty of moments of those). I do favour his earlier years of manic comedy, though, it displayed an imagination of enviously fast thinking and the fizzing physical delivery with which he powered it home. I know it sounds silly, but I could never really get around his serious film roles without thinking of a bloke who skittered around at speed (and in some people's view, on speed) flitting about acting like a whirling dervish with an array of funny voices (and material). As I've posted on Twitter, here's a man who could turn up at London comedy venues unannounced and do three hours straight without prompting. Or any notes.

My words really don't do him justice.

RIP

Comment

Robin Williams

Alexei Sayle's just been on BBCR4 talking about him.
                                        Said Mork & Mindy was a spin-off from Happy Days.
                                        I did not know that.

What Ian said above about the non-stop yakking and the silly voices.
                                        I couldn't listen to him at all, though. It just never fucking stopped. Clearly there was something going on there.
                                        Imagine having to live with someone like that.

Comment

Robin Williams

Sad news indeed still my favourite Robin Williams moment is him singing Springsteen's Fire as Elmer Fudd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vT-VaMXsAw.

If U2 split up Bono can now earn a shilling as a Robin Williams tribute act.

Comment

Robin Williams

I couldn't listen to him at all, though. It just never fucking stopped.

This.

Even when I was ten - an age at which you think funny voices are funny - I found the "Arf-arfs" "Mehs", "Neeeeps" and all the rest of it in 'Mork and Mindy' unbearable.

Comment

Robin Williams

Sits wrote: Feeling just a little bit bad about my post on the Overrated Movies thread right now.
                                              Don't. When he was on form he was great, but he made a lot of drivel as well. Bicentennial Man is one of the most godawful films I've ever seen.

Comment

Robin Williams

RIP, indeed. His movie roles became a bit formulaic, but, as a performer, the guy was more often than not on the money.

Mork & Mindy was a spin-off from Happy Days
                                                People say this (and Wiki seems to confirm it), but I don't see how it was a 'spin-off' as such - at least, not in the way that Laverne & Shirley obviously was. The two series did, of course, cross over once or twice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWXAJhmvyU

Who puts those hoaxes out? Sick fucks.
                                                Yep, usually them.

Comment

Robin Williams

Yes, he was very hyper when he was going full tilt. All that Good Morning Vietnam stuff was not scripted, and the other guys in the movie who you see pissing themselves laughing are not acting. In a way it was his condition that made him such a creative genius, and now his condition has taken him from us.

“It’s hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X