Neil on 56up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neil on 56up

Just caught up with 56up, the ITV documentary that follows a number of people throughout their lives from the age of 7. It started 49 years ago, and I've enjoyed seeing them from when I was young.

Neil is the tale I most want to see. Every time I hope he's happy, and every time he's moved somewhere new, tried different things, and yet remains unhappy.

Then they show him as an innocent 7-year-old. Then clips of him as 14, 21 etc. It's hard to watch a man so unhappy.

And it makes you think about your life, and now about my kids' future lives.

Which is why it is such a good programme, and why I'll tune in again in 2021.

Neil on 56up

OK, that was disappointing. It was a repeat of the 2012 edition. I thought it seemed familiar!

Comment

Neil on 56up

It may be a couple of years ago, but I echo everything you say KGR. You just want him to be happy and safe. And it sure does resonate on so many levels. At seven he looks very like I did at seven.

Fantastic programme.

Comment

Neil on 56up

I remember a teacher at school showing my class this programme. It must have been 35-up at the time. Even as teenagers we commented upon how happy the 7yr old Neil seemed and were dismayed to see his transformation into this unhappy man.

I've followed the 7-up programmes ever since and always cross my fingers that Neil will be ok.

The lad from the Yorkshire farm who became a scientist at a US university always interests me as well.

Comment

Working...
        X