• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Grief!

DM to return.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27876300

However.

We may have cause for concern…

Danger Mouse's eye patch will be replaced by an "i-patch" with multiple technological functions and his headquarters too will be kitted out with "state-of-the-art wizardry", said Freemantle in a statement.

The voice actors for Danger Mouse and Penfold have not yet been announced.

Fremantle's Rick Glanker said: "The thrills, spills and comedy of this landmark international animated series are all still here but this rebooted version will be brought up-to-date for today's tech-savvy and content-hungry kids.

Good Grief!

I had forgotten he used to say that - my immediate thought was that this was going to be about Charlie Brown.

Anyway, old heads will undoubtedly find the new version as abhorrent as the target audience would find the old one boring.

Comment

Good Grief!

I'm not the target audience - and I approve of the fact that some old fans of the series will be heartened by its return - but I never really found it funny or ever got into it. It seemed a bit shoddy and too rough at the edges, animation-wise, and whatever jokes I could have gotten were negated at the ugly shambles it was as a cartoon.

God, I sound like a joyless bastard, but it never did anything for me.

Comment

Good Grief!

You are Stuart Heritage, and I claim my £5…

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/17/nostalgia-life-danger-mouse-paddington-bear-postman-pat-reboots-adults-idealise-past

Comment

Good Grief!

Very fond memories of it from my childhood and the repeats I'd catch when it was shown on BBC2 in the mornings when I worked 1300-2100.

My auntie's next door neighbour was a cameraman on the show and gave me some cels which hang proudly on my wall.

Won't be watching this, though.

Comment

Good Grief!

As long as this means I can resume calling anyone wearing glasses who is remotely short "Penfold", I'll be happy.

Ditto bald people if they finally get round to doing something with Kojak.

Comment

Good Grief!

Sorry, Guy, not having that. I don't mind when old childrens' TV favourites are resurrected (and, to be honest, when some of them are, they turn out to have not been worth the bother). It's just that Danger Mouse never floated my boat.

Comment

Good Grief!

Ditto bald people if they finally get round to doing something with Kojak.

But they did (with Ving Rhames), albeit indifferently.

Comment

Good Grief!

Powerpuff Girls is coming back too, apparently.

Comment

Good Grief!

BenJô wrote: I had forgotten he used to say that - my immediate thought was that this was going to be about Charlie Brown.

Anyway, old heads will undoubtedly find the new version as abhorrent as the target audience would find the old one boring.
                    I had toyed with the idea of something like "Cripes, chief!", but couldn't remember exactly what Penfold said.

btw, Ian?

Exhibit A: The "CGI" remake of Fireman Sam.

The prosecution rests.

(And seeing as Frank Skinner can do an impression of Terry Scott - or rather thinks he can do an imppression of Terry Scott - we've got the man for the voice there.)

Comment

Good Grief!

Haven't seen it. Can't comment.

Comment

Good Grief!

ian.64 wrote: Haven't seen it. Can't comment.
                        Sorry Ian, we're only interested in knee-jerk expressions of negativity. You'll have to take your measured opinions elsewhere.

I still reckon Danger Mouse was the best thing Terry Scott ever did.

Comment

Good Grief!

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                          Originally posted by ian.64
                          Haven't seen it. Can't comment.
                          Sorry Ian, we're only interested in knee-jerk expressions of negativity. You'll have to take your measured opinions elsewhere.

I still reckon Danger Mouse was the best thing Terry Scott ever did.
                          Philistine! It was "Carry On up the Jungle"

Comment

Good Grief!

Guy Potger wrote: Philistine! It was "Carry On up the Jungle"
                            Ah yes, his sexy leading man days.

Comment

Good Grief!

What, no love for Gonks Go Beat?

Comment

Good Grief!

Aha, another chance!

The best thing Terry Scott ever did.

Comment

Good Grief!

Guy Potger wrote: I had toyed with the idea of something like "Cripes, chief!", but couldn't remember exactly what Penfold said.
                                  'Crumbs!'

Anyway, can people please stop pissing on my childhood?

Comment

Good Grief!

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                    Philistine! It was "Carry On up the Jungle"
                                    Ah yes, his sexy leading man days.

Is that Terry Scott or Robert Smith?

Comment

Good Grief!

I met him once, he gave me a Curly Wurly. That was neither a euphemism nor otherwise any grounds for Operation Yewtree.

Comment

Working...
                                      X