Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bees on the red button

8pm tonight for Springwatch 2016.

Sparrowhawk currently on the red button.

Comment

Spent the last half hour watching little owls' nest on the red button. They are the most enchanting birds, the youngsters no less so. Three of those in this nest, presently huddling for warmth with each trying to get into the centre of the group and so furthest out of the wind - sounds like it's blowing something fierce down at Minsmere. The parents are doing well to keep hunting in the conditions.

Comment

Big shout out to the stoat mother, surely the star of Springwatch 2016.

Comment

Fin

Comment

Love the Seasonwatch programmes. This will, no doubt, come as little surprise to those of you what have me on Facebook. Jackets, birds, animals and that. Wonderful, gentle, informative telly. Up there with Coast, and Railway Journeys. And documentaries about bears in Alaska.

Comment

Winterwatch 2017, programme 1 of 4, just started.

Comment

I received a Fjallraven alert at 8 minutes past 8. Yet to watch however as I've been dicking about on Facebook and that.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/springwatch-new-home

New location in the Cotswolds this series, starting Monday 29 May.

Comment

Thanks Kev, I've been wondering when they would announce the new series for weeks. Is it always this late in the spring? I mean, May 29 is virtually summer, I feel like I've already watched most of Spring by actually going outside...

Comment

Soz for lack of posting on this series. Peregrines being excellent foster parents is very pleasing.

Comment

That was a really unexpected highlight, wasn't it?

I rather liked the format they fell into for the latter part of the run, with Chris and Michaela anchoring things from the Cotswolds and Martin and/or Gillian reporting in from various places around the country. I assumed they started the run with all four of them on-site to ease the transition to a Chris/Michaela/Gillian combo once Martin jetted off to all points of the compass (not to mention possibly ousting him for good, going by media reports the other month), but she did seem incredibly nervous and a bit stuttery in front of the live cameras during the first week – so I wonder if her also vanishing from the main broadcasts and linking up with Martin in the Scilly Isles or wherever was always the plan or if they rejigged her role partway through to help ease her into things a bit more gently.

Comment

Game Of Crows. Incredible.

Comment

Hah, that was good wasn't it? I love corvids, they're amazing creatures. That raven in particular was a spectacular bird.

Comment

Looks like they’ve stuck with the format of Gillian as off-main-site reporter (she’s on Islay, Chris, Michaela & Martin are in the Cotswolds). I do wish she was a bit more comfortable in front of the camera, though.

Comment

Yes, she still appears more comfortable in pre-recorded segments – which was how we were originally introduced to her a year or more ago. In the live pieces she still comes across a little jittery, even though she seems better away from the main site where the heart of the live broadcast is.

Speaking of nerves, the piece tonight about how wildlife experiences stress, putting heart rate monitors on seals, was fascinating. It's a bit bothersome that the very fact of observing animals may be causing their hearts to race even when they look superficially unbothered.

Comment

This is quite a hard blow to take.
                                  https://twitter.com/MartinHGames/status/966285756410073088

Comment

Damn it, only just seen this Kev. I hope it's genuinely his own decision after all that, not some shoddy cloak-and-dagger manoeuvring behind the scenes.

Comment

Steve Backshall is a grade A replacement tbf.

Comment

He's been terrific this week, it's true. Iolo comes in next week, who will be great too of course.

The whole thing still seems a little odd, in that the original rumours were that M H-G was being none-too-gently edged out so that the BBC could buff up their diversity quota instead of having the programmes presented by three white middle-class (shock, horror) people. Yet so far they're replaced him with other white people, whilst it appears they still don't trust Gillian as one of the 'anchor' presenters and have instead banished her to the likes of Shetland as their roving reporter. Unless they bring in David Lindo or someone for the third week it's all a bit as-you-were.

Comment

Owls > Blackbirds

Comment

Best birthday present ever? Easy.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDqQQi1...=1717edj1a5psd

Comment

Happy birthday - that a nice video.

Comment

Does Chris Packham's coat count as big?

Comment

Super video!

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                    I missed this first time round but that is absolute fucking magic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X