Has died.

What?

I mean what???

Just, what??

Rik Mayall

It's World News Guy...

Comment

Rik Mayall

I'd have gone with Dropped Dead Fred, meself.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Or Mr Jolly Lives No More.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Normally, I say, what? whom?

Fucking hell Rik.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Add a few more 'fuck, fuck, fucking hells' for me.

Jesus.

RIP Mr. Mayall.

Comment

Rik Mayall

I know if least one other person on this board who'll remember him for his brilliant voice work in Hogs Of War. He introduced me to it actually.

There was always something more to Mayall's work than a lot of the jobbing mediocrity of his peers, something insanely wild.

Tragic he wasn't filling up the last few years with the same caliber of characters he invented beforehand, still, it will be nice to see re-runs of Bottom etc. He was pretty much the star of the show in everything he done.

Comment

Rik Mayall

The Young Ones was pretty much the Monty Python of my generation.

His Colin Grigson character in Bad News was pure spoiled mummy's boy metaller genius.

For fuck's sake.

Comment

Rik Mayall

His cameo's in Blackadder as Lord Flashheart were hilarious.

Comment

Rik Mayall

I am genuinely upset by this news. I was looking forward to a Young Ones 40th anniversary Christmas special in 2022.

Comment

Rik Mayall

George's Marvellous Medicine, which Mayall presented on Jackanory with a beautiful sense of anarchy, is definitely my highlight.

RIP.

Comment

Rik Mayall

RIP, Rik M. I'd rather lost track of his work over the past couple of decades if I'm honest, but clearly a talented and funny guy.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Still in shock over this, RIP Rik.

I'm with Calvert on the Young Ones.

Comment

Rik Mayall

NEVER EVER EVER ANYTHING BLOODY EVER.

Comment

Rik Mayall

"Let's sit down and talk about me until the car comes."

Sadly I guess it just arrived.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Lucy Waterman wrote: NEVER EVER EVER ANYTHING BLOODY EVER.
                                I've lived my life by that rule.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Gangster Octopus wrote: It's World News Guy...
                                  Can I point out, and with acknowledgement to the Octopus, etiquette demands responses are made to the thread where someone "gets in first"?

(Oh. And Toro? "Fred's Dropped Dead")

Comment

Rik Mayall

I have a download link for Mr Jolly Lives Next Door via a bloke I follow on Twitter. Good form to post it or not?

Comment

Rik Mayall

Not Alan B'stard, surely?

Bugger bugger bugger.

Comment

Rik Mayall

So sad, I'm sure I read last year that he was going to work with Ade again soon.

It seems that Bottom is always remembered as a "slapstick comedy". Yeah there was an OTT frying pan fight sometimes, but there were some fantastic lines.

Comment

Rik Mayall

A shock.

My favourite character was B'Stard. I loved the New Statesman. One episode that I'd love to see again was when B'Stard somehow manipulated Parliament and arranged for hanging to be brought back and broadcast live on TV.

With Dickie Davies reporting live from the gallows, naturally.

Comment

Rik Mayall

I loved Rik Mayall Presents and the episode that featured Helena Bonham Carter. I was convinced she was Northern after it.

Bottom, too, was so naughty to 11-year-old me. It's sad that it took this for me to do it, but the box set of it, TYO and TNS have all been ordered tonight.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Very talented, such a shame.

Comment

Rik Mayall

Land Waster wrote: My favourite character was B'Stard. I loved the New Statesman.
                                                Me also. It showed the other side of his comedic character from the cartoon violence of The Young Ones and Bottom.

For example, here is part of the transcript of a spoof interview conducted as B'Stard with Brian Walden

B’Stard “Four principles of freedom, low taxation, the eradication of restrictive labour laws and the radical restructuring of the welfare state”
                                                Walden “But with respect, Mr B’Stard, haven’t these once radical ideas been adopted wholesale by the Conservative Party...”
                                                B’Stard (interrupting) “Yah! And stolen by the Labour Party! But Brian, these two parties lead by Mr Grey and Mr Bleargh...”

That was in 1994. Perceptive, well, bastard.

Comment

Rik Mayall

There are far better culture watcher than I on OTF but for me Mayall and his peers changed the face of comedy for those of us of a certain age.

If you sat through the endless shows pitched at your Mum and Dad like Terry and June or The Good Life (noting some were not without merit) The Young Ones was a great change.

Unfortunately that same certain age now means the news of the death of people you admired is all too frequent.

The news that Aussie cricketer Gary Gilmour has died came through today, as if to reinforce that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X