No announcement yet.

One Touch Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, we saw something very much like that. I'll see if I can figure out what it was. It was a The Canadian Stage season about five or so years back. The set was bluescreen, too, and you could watch video monitors which had the full 'scene' rendered in. It was very well done.

Comment

Okay, it was called Helen Lawrence, and it was similar but not identical to body cameras. It was a play done in an 'empty' blue screen stage, filmed, and simultaneously projected with the backdrop computered in place. The actors moved cameras around the stage, sort of filming themselves. Here's the write-up. I remember quite enjoying it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...ticle17368296/

Comment

There was a production of Edward II at the National Theatre a few years back that featured a lot of video content shown on big screens either side of the stage. The feed was of action happening offstage and inside a collapsible shed on the stage itself. I don't know whether the cameras were actually head/body mounted but that was certainly the effect the direction sought to achieve. The production itself was terrible, one of the handful of times over the years that I've left at the interval.

Yesterday I went to see Blues in the Night at Kiln, formerly the Tricycle, in Kilburn. A revival from the '80s, it is set in a rooming house above a bar where three women of differing ages have been wronged one way or another by the same man. This is a flimsy pretext for the company, including an onstage band, to blast through two hours of blues and jazz songs from the 1930s. On an atmospheric set, the leads (Sharon D Clarke, Clive Rowe, Debbie Kurup and Gemma Sutton) all gave great vocal performances, with slick choreography and movement and some deft comic touches. Highly enjoyable.
        Last edited by Benjm; 18-08-2019, 12:47.

Comment

Went to see MND at The Bridge on Saturday. Wonderful production. My companion had seen the Peter Brook production from 1970 and she said it echoed that. The lovers become incidental to the plot in Hytner's production. The Rude Mechanicals instead take centre stage as does Puck and at times the production itself... There's a knowing "... It's immersive..." at one point. We were up in gallery 3 in the £25 seats and didn't feel we missed anything. If you can get tickets before it ends you should.
          It was quite special. And at the end I felt as though I was at a secret party whilst the rest of London continued outside unaware of the fun happening here...
          The Handmaiden's Tale elements are well handled and not crowbarred in. Hippolyta as a prisoner of war/prize is an interesting take on the opening scene. And the playfulness with the sexuality and the anachronisms just add to the anarchic feel.

Comment

I'm so excited! I just bought tickets to David Byrne's American Utopia on Broadway, for the day after my birthday (sadly there is no show on my actual birthday). My friend from NOLA is coming up to help me celebrate and I can't wait to tell her about this.

Comment

I saw that tour in The U.K., FF. really one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. Fantastic choreography by Annie Parson. Would love to see it again.

Comment

Glad to hear it, Nef! I was feeling a little down about my birthday (because it's a big one), but having this to look forward to has cheered me up. My friend is excited too. We saw Talking Heads together when we were roommates at uni. The album 1977 had just been released. HOW DID I GET HERE?

Comment

Come From Away is one of the best things I've ever seen. Very very funny and an absolute emotional rollercoaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Come From Away is one of the best things I've ever seen. Very very funny and an absolute emotional rollercoaster.
                    Yes. A thousand times yes. I've told everyone the exact same thing.

Comment

I'm taking my wife to the play of 'Fleabag' tonight. I love the TV show but my wife's never seen an episode so I'll be intrigued to discover her thoughts.

Comment

The Band's Visit - lovely little play about an Egyptian ceremonial band that gets sent to Israel to play at a renowned arts festival in vibrant Petah Tikvah. But due to a screw up, gets sent to Bet Hatikva - a culturally devoid desert outpost. Simple story with lots of nuance, humour and very good music. One or two flat spots, but they pass quickly. Recommended.
                        Last edited by WOM; 29-09-2019, 17:14. Reason: Typo

Comment

I got a free ticket to Giselle at Sadlers Wells last night, and it was stunning. Very, very different from the Giselle I saw in Moscow back in the day, which was very traditional. This had amazing apocalyptic sets and quite violent dancing. Well, not actually "violent", but dramatic, sometimes grotesque, bodybending as well as some beautiful, tender and romantic moments. Akram Khan was the producer, never seen his work before.

Comment

Very interesting.

Will keep an eye out. Giselle is all too often done in a rote fashion.

Comment

I’m going to see this tonight.

https://theatre.psu.edu/MONSTERS
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-10-2019, 22:13.

Comment

That looks interesting.

Comment

I'd see that.

Comment

It was really fun. Very up my street. Set in 1995 with 1995 music and the premise is that a young woman is trying to get to know her dead sister by playing a D&D module she wrote.

Comment

American Utopia was excellent. Wasn't expecting it to make me cry, but 'Say His Name' hit me in the heart. David Byrne covers the same issues as Michael Moore, but much more effectively.

I wholeheartedly recommend seeing it, if you can.

Comment

Have been to lots of theatre recently:
                                        Warhorse at the Troubador (the new theatre at Wembley Park)
                                        When The Crows Visit at the Kiln - the old Tricycle in Kilburn
                                        Solaris at the Lyric
                                        The Watsons at the Menier Chocolate factory
                                        Touching The Void at The Duke of York's (no pun in tended after Saturday's interview).

I missed Warhorse when it was first on. So it was a real treat to get to see it finally. I must have been the only person in the country that didn't know how it ended...was crying like a baby at the end...Truly one of the most original pieces of theatre I have seen. Who knew you could get that invested in a puppet?!

When The Crows Visit was Ibsen's Ghosts transported to India. Have to admit I found the production boring and indeed at times racist - even though the cast was all SE Asian. I left at the interval

Solaris was an interesting take on the story... but the sliding set and the staging was probably the star of the show.

The Watsons was fascinating. Based on an unfinished Jane Austin novel (I think she went on to complete 3 others), the first act follows the Austin story. Act 2 is written by the playwright Laura wade and the characters rebel against her. Great stuff.

Saw Touching The Void last night. It finishes on Thursday - if you can get tickets, I would highly recommend. I think the chap who designed Warhorse had something to do with it. And the improvised mountains, cliffs and crags, scaffolding and paper reflected that. I knew how the story ends but my friend who came with me didn't . Incredibly well done.

It all comes down to this - theatre is wonderful. Even when it isn't. Needs to be supported when it isn't those awful super shows like Les Mis etc. New ideas and productions will keep th etheatres from going dark...

Comment

Agreed.

We saw Girl From The North Country last Friday. It's based on the music of Bob Dylan, telling the story of a Minnesota rooming house in 1934 (depression era). Um...enjoyable, but flawed. Great music, great staging, good performances...but not great performances. And the casting was such that I couldn't distinguish who was who from which generation, because everyone on the stage looked to be played by actors of the same age. Plus it was very shouty/acty in parts, and I generally can't stand that.

Comment

I'm going to a play in Welsh tomorrow night. Yn Ei Blodau. Been warned it has coercion as a theme. A woman from my street is in it.

Comment

Forced into it was she?

Comment

Finally got around to seeing The Book of Mormon yesterday. Despite usually finding musicals a complete turn off, I have to say I really enjoyed this irreverent and crass send-up. Despite being the butt of half the jokes, I can see why the Mormon community hasn’t bothered railing against it. Not so sure how “Ugandans” might feel at their stereotypical characterisations, but it’s all such nonsense I hope nobody takes too seriously.

Was only 30 quid for perfectly adequate centre-circle seats in London, where it’s at the lovely art-deco Prince of Wales for a limited run until Feb, which is a steal for a West End show these days.

Comment

I must try to see that before it ends, my friend works on the costumes there so said she could get us in cheaply. Hmm.

I went to the opera last night, La Boheme at the Royal Opera House. Loved it. Would go for better seats next time, though, as we were right up top and I was really fighting my fear of heights for the first ten minutes. The sound was superb, the singing wonderful, and some of the staging really magical.

If I get back in work, I may consider joining as it's the best way to get decent tickets.

Comment

I've seen that production of La Boheme and thoroughly enjoyed it too, Rodolfo and the boys needing to take a long look at themselves notwithstanding.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X