Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godzilla

7/10

The plot's wafer thin. The character driven shit that was sort-of promised in the previews and by the presence of certain actors doesn't really hold up. I was proper falling asleep. If it wasn't for the unbelievably brilliant CGI (I saw the 3D version) the film would probably have sunk with barely a trace and I would have given it a 3 or 4/10. Getting Binoche, Cranston and Olsen on board and giving them that crap to play with is pure Hollywood slight of hand.

I'm having great fun watching some of these blockbusters mind, a right sucker for it. Sticking those glasses on and having all that nightmarish trippy stuff go on right in front of my eyeballs makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Godzilla

I liked the giant female cockroach.

Spoiler alert.

Shame she had to die.

Comment

Godzilla

I really liked it, but yeah, the beginning is a bit slow and tries too hard to ramp-up the drama. Just get to the giant monsters!

Comment

Godzilla

I thought it was alright, but it was a shame that the best character *SPOILER* (the father) was killed early. And fuck me if it wasn't the good old US of A army left to save the day, though just for once they needed a big lizard to do the hard work.
        Talking of which, if Godzilla was instinctively hunting the giant bugs, why didn't he eat a single morsel? Is he just a massive herbivore with murderous impulses?

Comment

Godzilla

Saw it this afternoon with my kids and we enjoyed it, on the whole. The extraordinary scale of the monster battle scenes when you get to them more than outweigh the scratch-your-head plot holes, just about, and some of the human-drama scenes are worthwhile, if patchy overall.

*****SPOILERS******

Why doesn't Godzilla eat the giant bugs having chased them round the world to kill them? Yeah, I didn't get that either.

People have been complaining that it takes too long to see the monsters (and in particular Godzilla); I don't think that's true, actually, and if anything the climactic fight scene between the big monsters goes on a bit. It gets like a fight scene from Indiana Jnoes, you know, the one where Indy and the big bald German are just slugging it out, and you look at your watch, go make a cup of tea, come back and they're still at it.

The bit with our hero and the lost Japanese boy is a nice touch, especially how the boy eventually gets spots his parents and runs off to them without so much as a goodbye. Felt true, that. I could have done without our hero having a kid of his own to implausibly find at the very end, it wasn't really necessary. Being reunited with his wife would have been enough, wouldn't it? If anything realising that he was a young father who chooses to leave his wife alone while he goes off on 14-month sorties as a bomb disposal expert in the first place marks him out as a pretty uncaring Dad, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
          X