Calvary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calvary

Saw it tonight having loved Brendan Gleeson's previous films with either of the McDonagh brothers that I've seen (In Bruges and The Guard).

A fantastic film ; wonderful cast (led by Gleeson and Kelly Reilly's stunning performances), brilliant writing and the visuals and music are captivating.

By fuck, does it put you through the wringer though. Hard to remember a film that produces such a wide range of emotions, the manager of my local cinema said as we left that everyone walks out of the screenings drained.

Difficult to watch in places but very darkly comic in parts. I really recommend it.

Calvary

Read the reviews and really want to see this. Loved Gleeson's performance in 'The Guard' - he's a major screen presence.

Just need to find a cinema that's showing it.

Comment

Calvary

can't believe you guys liked "the guard".

Comment

Calvary

The Guard was a bit of crack, but nothing more than that. Three or four good bits (e.g. the scene where he starts shiteing on about Croatian football with the missing garda's east European wife) and a load of filler. Don Cheadle seemed totally out of place in it, and not because he's black.

Comment

Calvary

[quote=Selected Ambient Works 85-92 post=908688. Don Cheadle seemed totally out of place in it....[/quote]
          Wasn't that the point?

Comment

Calvary

I didn't mean the character was out of place, I meant Cheadle was out of place.

It's an okay comedy but very, very overrated, probably due to the shock of Ireland's film industry producing something that wasn't a directionless snooze.

Comment

Calvary

Saw it last night - a stunning piece of filmmaking, I echo everything said in the opening post.

Great to hear Tim Buckley on a soundtrack, too.

Comment

Calvary

I watched this last night. Wasn't moved or startled by it at all. It felt like a re-run of The Guard with Gleeson's profession changed and a few darker bits inserted.

It was alright, but there are zillions of alright films in the world already. Gleeson is apparently in contention for an Oscar for this, which seems a bit over the top, unless things have got really bad in US cinema lately.

Dylan Moran was good though.

The pub scenes were shot in a hostelry where I've drank a few times (the Carlyan in Rush).

Comment

Calvary

it was far, far better than the guard in fairness.

i liked the dylan moran character. "got any crystal meth?"

Comment

Calvary

"I could piss on this, you know."

Comment

Calvary

This isn't meant to sound facetious but might films like 'Calvary' and 'The Guard' have more of an impact on those of us not from Ireland? The milieu might seem humdrum to you but it seems to have really grabbed a lot of people less familiar with it.

It helps that Gleeson is pretty much the most watchable actor around at the moment too.

Comment

Calvary

You are a very tough audience SAW.

It's my favourite film of the last year or two.

Comment

Working...
                        X