Dystopian trilogies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dystopian trilogies

How many more do they need to make? Hunger games, Divirgent, I read that several more are lined up to be filmed. There was a shortlist a while ago with five or six of them. All of them written by women. All of them with a heroine who's saving a "world" which is about as big as a city. All of them about a republic and districts. Did all these people take the same $200 writing class?

Dystopian trilogies

If so, they've seen a very good return on their investment.

Perhaps there's a clue in 'they're extremely popular and profitable'.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Hunger Games? Jennifer Lawrence, running around in the rain? Hmm? Box office? Open the tills (See also the Lara Croft movies)

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: How many more do they need to make? Hunger games, Divirgent, I read that several more are lined up to be filmed. There was a shortlist a while ago with five or six of them. All of them written by women. All of them with a heroine who's saving a "world" which is about as big as a city. All of them about a republic and districts. Did all these people take the same $200 writing class?
        'That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is, people like them, let's make some more of them.'

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Are there really that many dystopian trilogies doing the rounds at the moment?

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

You can't bleedin' move for dystopian trilogies round my way, guv.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Crusoe wrote: Are there really that many dystopian trilogies doing the rounds at the moment?
              A bunch here

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

The Hunger Games is fucking shite though, isn't it?

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: The Hunger Games is fucking shite though, isn't it?
                  Is that your opinion or are you seeking validation?

I thought both films were alright. And it's nice to see a strong, independent female character on screen.
                  I'm not really the target demographic though.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Fucking shite, mate.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: The Hunger Games is fucking shite though, isn't it?
                      Well, yes, that's part of my query. Out of many options since I've seen most of the ones out in movies past years, and years before. Have ventured very old ones, I gave Hunger games a try, and Divergent as well. I read an article about "up and coming authors" within the genre, all with a synopsis of the premises. They’re the same. Young girl (16 or something) is “chosen” to save the world they live in. A world large as a snow globe. The republic has divided the people into sectors. The main part of the trilogy is a love story. A very uninspiring one.
                      Divergent was like watching some initiation ritual from a higher school, gone mad. Hunger games was ultimately bland and totally pointless. Nothing of significance happens. There’s no message of any depth. Yes, so they’re popular. So are vampire and zombie movies. Doesn’t mean I have to understand why people aren’t fed up with them by now and doesn’t mean I can’t question someone writing yet another dystopian trilogy. In the way that I don’t think all of them write them because of the writing itself, the quality storytelling, but instead sat there and thought “hey, I can write one and make millions on a book and movie rights deal”

They’re all an ultra light version and copy of the ultimate dystopian brilliant movie Battle Royale.

And I'm still waiting for Stephen Kings Dark Tower series to come to life on HBO. That will be something else.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Isn't it great that kids these days are reading stuff that tells them to stand up to what are, effectively, fascist states? Is it perhaps part of the current dialogue about NSA overreach, excessive police force, reduction of civil liberties, and kids are choosing to read stuff that suggests they shouldn't basically take this shit?

It's an interesting change from the middle-aged-men-who-read-superhero-comics which broadly seem to be about a fight either against criminals, or super-criminals, or terrorists, or some sort of foreign-invasion. Stuff which might be argued reinforces the paranoia about civil breakdown and might encourage obedience to those who argue that perhaps we need a bigger, tougher Robocop. (*)

Hurrah for the Hunger Games.

(*) Note: I've seen about one superhero film in the last decade and only the Hunger Games of the Kids-Fight-The-Dystopian-Police-State movies, so I might be talking entirely out of my 'hole.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

Although Robocops are about corporate overreach, excessive police force, reduction of civil liberties.

Comment

Dystopian trilogies

(*) Note: I've seen about one superhero film in the last decade and only the Hunger Games of the Kids-Fight-The-Dystopian-Police-State movies, so I might be talking entirely out of my 'hole.
                            Pretty much.I mean, I'm not a big superhero person myself, but by far the biggest event in superhero continuity in the last decade or so was Marvel's Civil War, which involved the US government cracking down on superheroes after an attack on New York. Some side with the government and give up their secret identities and others refuse.

More to the point, there are loads of (very popular) non-superhero (and several superhero, broadly defined) comics which are skeptical of authority or portray people fighting oppressive governments.

Comment

Working...
                            X