The office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The office

I've looked for a thread about this. Both here and on old otf but can't find one.
    (I know I'm very late to this)

Have been watching the US version, am about to begin with season 6 and I've warmed to Steve Carell. A lot. Enough to check out som of the full-length features he's been in. Funny thing is that when you look it up on IMDb, he's mentioned way down the list among cast.
    Only thing I can say against it, is that there's way, way, way too much about the bloody Jim and Pam romance going on. It becomes tedious as sod once you reach season 5.

Now, if someone links to the thread we can let this one sink to bottom.

The office

I like it. There's a huge downside, though, in that there seems to be an idea that Gervais single-handedly invented verité TV.

Comment

The office

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I like it. There's a huge downside, though, in that there seems to be an idea that Gervais single-handedly invented verité TV.
      Not over here, there isn't.

You have to completely separate the concepts of the UK Office from the US Office in order to enjoy the US version. It had to be dumbed-down for the US audience (i.e., jokes/pranks had to be less subtle and there had to be more sex). I find it tedious (but I like most of the actors who play the parts--I just don't care for their characters).

Comment

The office

Must say that I liked the US version better, which I must admit was surprising. Steve Carell works much better than Ricky Gervais in the role. Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute is much, much funnier than Martin Freeman as Tim Canterbury.

Must say it was a relief to watch as well. Thought I was getting old and grumpy because I never laughed the times I've seen that shower of shite How I met your mother, the equally nonsense Scrubs and plenty more. This one had loads of laugh out loud moments. And I don't mean the pranks Jim played on Dwight.

Comment

The office

Oh, one more thing. Please, please keep that boring Will Ferrell out of things like this. If he must be among the cast throw him in as lead from the beginning so I know I should not watch it. His crap doesn't even belong in poor rejected 30 second Saturday Night Live skits. His comedy-sad face alone is probably a main reason why North Koreans are told to hate USA.

Comment

The office

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Must say that I liked the US version better, which I must admit was surprising. Steve Carell works much better than Ricky Gervais in the role. Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute is much, much funnier than Martin Freeman as Tim Canterbury.

Must say it was a relief to watch as well. Thought I was getting old and grumpy because I never laughed the times I've seen that shower of shite How I met your mother, the equally nonsense Scrubs and plenty more. This one had loads of laugh out loud moments. And I don't mean the pranks Jim played on Dwight.
            Dwight (as I'm sure you've realised PPV) is supposed to be the US Gareth (Mackenzie Crook), not Tim

Comment

The office

Doh!
              Yes, of course. My wrong.

Comment

The office

The American Office was great, then it had a tremendous drop in quality.

Parks and Rec is worth checking out if you haven't yet, PPV.

Comment

The office

Incandenza wrote: The American Office was great, then it had a tremendous drop in quality.

Parks and Rec is worth checking out if you haven't yet, PPV.
                  I think the drop came as soon as Will Ferrel was introduced and didn't work as well when Steve Carell was out altogether. But, it picked up again a bit towards the end.

I checked out Parks and Rec (IMDb) and looks very promising. Many thanks for that, Inca.

Downloaded first season. Am looking forward to this.

Comment

The office

Femme Folle wrote: You have to completely separate the concepts of the UK Office from the US Office in order to enjoy the US version.
                    This, the US Office is a really clever, consistently funny sit-com. The UK Office was one of the most original TV dramas of recent times that was at times so painful to watch you had to cope with it through laughter.

I find the people who make a huge deal about how awful the US Office is in comparison to the UK version are also the same type of people who find David Brent's comedy dance the highlight of the show.

Comment

The office

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: I checked out Parks and Rec (IMDb) and looks very promising. Many thanks for that, Inca.

Downloaded first season. Am looking forward to this.
                      I'll tell you now, the first season is not as good compared to 2 and 3. It got a lot better as it went on.

And if you like Parks & Rec, the new show from the creators is a police comedy called Brooklyn Nine Nine. I really like it, but the lead actor is Andy Samberg from Saturday Night Live, and I know that some people just can't stand him.

BTW, I recommended Parks & Rec because the people who did that were involved in the Office. One of the creators, Michael Schur, played Dwight's cousin Mose, who you would see at Schrute Farms.

Comment

The office

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Oh, one more thing. Please, please keep that boring Will Ferrell out of things like this. If he must be among the cast throw him in as lead from the beginning so I know I should not watch it. His crap doesn't even belong in poor rejected 30 second Saturday Night Live skits. His comedy-sad face alone is probably a main reason why North Koreans are told to hate USA.
                        If your that angry about Will Ferrell, you might want to skip the episodes with Catherine Tate. Pointlessy shoe horned into a whole season with a character who doesn't have a single entertaining line.

Comment

The office

Will Ferrell is fucking ace in the right format. The scene in anchorman, where he loses his shit in a phonebox after he's just had his beloved dog kicked off a bridge was superb.

'THE BAD MAN PUNISHED BAXTER'

And the quality of the US office dipped savagely for two seasons. It isn't often that a comedy just straight-up bores me, but season six and seven, take a bow.

But then season eight and nine soared in quality, and with Steve Carell gone, many of the supporting cast were allowed to 'step up', and it felt as though the actors were allowed to run wild with their characters, and made the most of the carte blanche provided them.

Comment

The office

And BBaF, I 95% agree with the Catherine Tate comment, though I will say I thought she became a better character toward the end, in that way that all of the characters improved.

Comment

Working...
                            X