The Unknown Known

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unknown Known

This Errol Morris documentary based around extended interviews with former US secretary for defense Donald Rumsfeld will bring back fond memories for all of the Bush era, from self-denial and obfuscation through to naked mendacity and a patronizing contempt for opposition. In an interview on the Colbert Report, Morris said he came to the conclusion that Rumsfeld is something of an empty vessel, and it's not hard to see why. It's a grimly absorbing portrait of someone who had a terrifying amount of power, and yet who comes across as a semi-genial, bumbling knave with a fascination for baffling words and concepts he can barely grasp. 8.5/10.

The Unknown Known

I still think that his Unknown/Known speech was the most intelligent thing that he ever said.

Comment

The Unknown Known

It's one of the all-time great political quotes.

I watched this a few nights ago. It's creepy as fuck. Rumsfeld tries to come across as the folksy old uncle but can't manage it, not least because his face looks very like a skull.

Morris did one of these things ten years ago with Robert McNamara, in which McNamara admitted he was wrong and said he hoped future generations could learn from his mistakes. But with Rumsfeld, while it's not quite a full-blooded "Fuck you", it's not that far off and there is little if any hint of remorse.

Comment

The Unknown Known

Fog of War was infuriating but I was glued to the entire film. McNamara was mostly made to look pathetic and humble. I knew a fair bit of the war and era, but his confessional was very fascinating.

As Sec of Defense, I wanted to throttle Rumsfeld whenever he was on tv or just hearing his voice on the radio - not sure I can stomach 90 minutes of the smug son of a bitch. This is one I may have to check out a few years from now.

Rummy is up there w/ Cheney as truly sick bastards who I could easily watch being tortured repeatedly via methods they so wholly approve.

Comment

Working...
        X