Great adverts of the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really, really loved this one when I was a kid. Everything about it felt right. The photography, the music, the smooth deep voice of the bloke at the end.

I'd been searching for the clip for years without success, not least because I'd mistakenly misremembered it as a Tennents ad instead of a Guinness one. Because of its length (two minutes), it didn't get shown on TV that often. You were more likely to see it at the cinema before a film started.

The music was written by Bill Whelan, who later made mega-millions by composing the score for Riverdance. The proto-Daft Punk guitar solo is by Des Moore, a veteran of the Dublin rock scene. Raphael Ravenscroft of Baker Street fame did the sax solo.

Anyway, throw up your favourite old ads here.

Someone is bound to post the
    Aggcchrrrinnngggton Shhcctanley?
    OOer dey?
    Icgghhhtttzachtleigh
    advert but I won't as I don't remember it fondly.

Comment

Yep, nothing makes me think more of Guinness than a bunch of surfer dudes and LA babes in bikinis.

Comment

This and this "Bad Idea" advert (which I only ever saw at the cinema) made me laugh the first time I saw them.

Comment

Yep, nothing makes me think more of Guinness than a bunch of surfer dudes and LA babes in bikinis.
          You don't think like that when you're seven years old.

Comment

I think being around seven might have a bearing on some responses to this thread. I think I was around that age when this came out:

It still comes to mind whenever I see Torquay v Scunthorpe in fixture lists. Two places forever linked in my mind by a goonish Elvis-Costello-a-like

Comment

I used to like those Friends of the Guinnless ads, but I can't find any online.

Comment

Surely there has been no better beer advert than this one Soundtracked the 1986 World Cup in Scotland.

Comment

That one was an absolute cracker dalliance, the song is "You've Got The Power" by Win, formed out of indie favourites The Fire Engines. I won't comment on the actual product though.

I always liked this one, knowingly self mocking when foreign beers began to become super trendy in Scotland.

Comment

When I was a kid I thought the Carling Black Label cowboy advert was the best ever (the one where cowboys in one advert appear in the next two mock adverts). I've just watched it on YouTube. It hasn't aged well.

Comment

Is this the best/earliest example of CGI? I would've been nine when this one appeared.

Comment

Surely there has been no better beer advert than this one Soundtracked the 1986 World Cup in Scotland.
                        Yes, my g/f of the time played that one on rotation when we were at college in 1986. And, by bizarre coincidence, my (current) sig other used to date Win bassist Ian Stoddart. (They made a fair bit of wedge out of that tune, you'll be unsurprised to learn.)

Is this the best/earliest example of CGI? I would've been nine when this one appeared.
                        Ah yes, the 'jolly milkman' musing over what his customers were having for tea: I used to find that mildly disturbing at the time. It reminds me of the 1970s-1980s 'milk' ad where neighbours start calling out of their windows, Network-stylee, suggesting what else can be done with milk - such as "my wife makes a lovely egg and bacon pie!" Anyone else recall that? (I couldn't find it on YouTube.)

I'd happily forgotten that wretched Mobil commercial. Christ, that was annoying.

Comment

Another one from the early 1990s was Phileas Fogg's Punjab Airways/Consett Airport one.

Phileas Fogg seemed to be a one for memorable/mad adverts in the 90s, as this complete ad break from 1995 shows.

Typing in 'ad break' or whatever and a year into YouTube is quite interesting - a little glimpse into what life was like as the time.

Take this one for example. I'd forgotten about all those adverts for massive boxed sets of CDs with the names all scrolling along the bottom - MP3 would have killed them off. And the "Phone the Talent Line - win £100!" advert.

Comment

What I find spookiest is when adverts are reused years later. The animated Toys R Us ads that get wheeled out at Christmas ("there's a magical place/we're on our way there...") I'm sure I also have on a VHS recording of Star Wars taped off the TV in the early 1980s.

Comment

Chat Back!

Comment

I have this 'ad break' experience a couple of times a year as I show recordings of a Channel 4 '68/88' documentary as context for one class (on Godard), and a 'Secret History' docu (Drowning by Bullets about the French police massacre of Algerians on 17th Oct '61) for another on Haneke.

The students love the old Lilt, Vauxhall, Bisto ads.

Comment

Jesus, I really am getting old if folk are reminiscing about 'Chatback' adverts...

When I was a kid I thought the Carling Black Label cowboy advert was the best ever (the one where cowboys in one advert appear in the next two mock adverts). I've just watched it on YouTube. It hasn't aged well.
                                  If you mean this one, I still think it's pretty amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toek6CdldC8

The budget for that ad would've been pretty high, I imagine. (And doesn't one of those guys in the pub at the end look remarkably like a 'young' Paul Young?)

Comment

I just put that in to implant the jingle into folks' minds.

Comment

Working...
                                    X