Wayne's World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne's World

I'm watching this right now for the first time.

I'm trying to imagine an age I would need to be, and the amount of drugs I'd need to take, in order for this to be funny. And maybe I'm thinking eight years old, and a big bag of mushrooms.

How did this movie become successful? It's........... terrible.

Wayne's World

For a vaguely similar aesthetic you might have a better crack at, you might try Strange Brew.*

*No warranties expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, contents may have settled during shipping and handling.

Comment

Wayne's World

Both ideas worked brilliantly as 5–10 minute sketches, which is how they began, and should have stayed.

Edit: In addition, without them we'd probably never have had Trailer Park Boys, which would have been a massive loss to humanity

Comment

Wayne's World

Wayne's World was a pretty amusing conceit at the time (ie, almost a quarter of a century ago) - and survived the leap to big screen very well. It also served to highlight what a talent Mike Myers was/is.

Why someone might choose to try and get into it now, however, would be completely beyond me.

Comment

Wayne's World

Jah Womble wrote: Wayne's World was a pretty amusing conceit at the time (ie, almost a quarter of a century ago) - and survived the leap to big screen very well. It also served to highlight what a talent Mike Myers was/is.

Why someone might choose to try and get into it now, however, would be completely beyond me.
          Yeh, I agree with this. I still watch it from time to time to remind me of my 'yoof', but I wouldn't pretend that it had any relevance to 21st century teens.

Comment

Wayne's World

I couldn't stand them at the time, but I did love Bill and Ted. I'm sure Amor's right about it working as a sketch, at least in the US/Canada, cause they were Saturday Night Live people weren't they? But, you know, Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd's body-shaking hepcat Norwegians (or wherever they were from) were great in a sketch, but I wouldn't want a film of them.

Comment

Wayne's World

For a bit of context (if you could care less) Wayne is based on Myers' upbringing in Scarborough (an bog-average suburb of Toronto) in the '70s. Where he and I live(d).

Wayne was the archetypal stoner/rocker guy that everyone sat beside in high school. I still remember 'ours' walking in about ten minutes late to class one morning and whispering to his friend "Faaaawwwwk...my cat ate my stash". Imagine Jeff Spicoli with a lumberjacket and that's the guy. The whole conceit with the wood-panelled basement is very Scarborough '70s. I could post a picture of my dad's, but you'd think I made it up.

IIRC, Wayne's World has all kinds of Scarborough in-jokes (he calls the Postcards Home) like Stan Makita Donuts instead of Tim Horton's. Quincy Jones' Soul Bossanova is in Austin Powers because it was the theme song to a Toronto game show in the '70s called Definition, which was filmed about three blocks from Myers' house (where his mom still lives, apparently).

Anyways, Myers is a genuine cunt according to everyone (without exception) who grew up with him or worked with him. When he was in town getting a street named after him, he bumped into a friend of mine and did the old "Heeeeeeey Ron. How are ya?" and Ron just said "Fuck off Mike."

Comment

Wayne's World

The film of course was utter toss, but it was the language it introduced to an entire new generation of tools such as 'NOT' or 'MOST BEAUDACIOUS' or 'EXCELLENT' or twats headbanging to Bohemian Rhapsody in their shit cars which was most offensive.

Comment

Wayne's World

Heh
                  I like WOM's mate already.

Comment

Wayne's World

Lighten up Calvert, live and let live.

There's a village a few miles from my home called Babraham. Every time I see its name on the local road signs I have an inward chuckle with reference to the relevant bit of WW dialogue.

Comment

Wayne's World

Lucia Lanigan wrote: I couldn't stand them at the time, but I did love Bill and Ted. I'm sure Amor's right about it working as a sketch, at least in the US/Canada, cause they were Saturday Night Live people weren't they? But, you know, Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd's body-shaking hepcat Norwegians (or wherever they were from) were great in a sketch, but I wouldn't want a film of them.
                      Bob and Doug were originally on SCTV, which was Canadian produced, rather than SNL which was very New York. Both shows had their roots in Chicago/Toronto's Second City troupe though, which is why there were as many Canadians as Americans involved, or maybe more. SCTV had a more suburban vibe, as WOM describes it. Wayne's World, though from SNL, was much more like a sketch from the SCTV.

The two "wild and crazy guys!" were supposed to be either Polish or Czech I think.

Comment

Wayne's World

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Lighten up Calvert, live and let live. .
                        This is Calvert lightening up.

Comment

Wayne's World

God, I just did not get SCTV. Still don't. And weirdly, Myers started out as an SCTV player (live...not on the TV show) and Lorne Michaels - who started SNL - is Canadian.

And Mike Myers Drive is a crap little road near a power transformer and a commuter rail line, so that's nice too.

Comment

Wayne's World

God, I just did not get SCTV.

Really? I thought it was unmissable. The idea of a TV channel based in a suburban shopping mall, just seemed so spot on and well in the tradition of Stephen Leacock small-town humour.

Comment

Working...
                            X