Jack Black : awfully tiresome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just watched 'Year One', is there a single Jack Black film where he doesn't stand in front of a cheering crowd at the end making a "hey, I'm a great guy!" speech and then get the girl? Is it written into his fucking contracts or something?

Just imagine someone re-making Animal House with Jack Black in the John Belushi role. A not implausible casting decision. Then imagine how badly they would fuck that film up with him in it.

Comment

Watch Bernie. He's basically cast as the hero, but he does not play the usual Jack Black character.

Comment

I quite like romcom The Holiday (Cameron Diaz, Jude Law) except for Jack Black being Jack Black. Especially the ending, where they're all dancing around looking awkward and Kate Winslet has to look pleased she's ended up with Jack instead of Rufus Sewell.

Exhibit A

http://nice-cool-pics.com/img-the-holiday,-2006,-kate-winslet,-jack-black,-jude-law,-cameron-diaz-19918.htm

Comment

Although he does exactly what is mentioned in the OP, 'School of Rock' is a stone cold classic. Also Jack Black > Jack White

Actually, does he do the "being cheered by a crowd" thing at the end of 'King Kong'? I think I fell asleep two hours before the end.

Comment

I don't find much of his stuff funny, but 'Nacho Libre' is just wonderful silliness! I think I chuckled constantly, the whole way through.

Comment

Hate him. Hate him. Hate him. Hate him. Hate him.
              Except in Kung Fu Panda, where I didn't have to see his stupid face and stupid Jack Black mugging.

Comment

Just imagine someone re-making Animal House with Jack Black in the John Belushi role. A not implausible casting decision. Then imagine how badly they would fuck that film up with him in it.
                This. There genuinely seem to be people in positions of power who believe Black to be the reincarnation of Belushi.

I saw about twenty minutes of Tropic Thunder over the weekend. Christ, it was awful - typically overwrought, overwritten, try-too-hard Hollywood 'spoof'.

Comment

Hate him. Hate him. Hate him. Hate him. Hate him.
                  Except in Kung Fu Panda, where I didn't have to see his stupid face and stupid Jack Black mugging.

yes. This. Except I hated him in Kung fu panda. You could tell it was him because it was too heavy handed.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Having just watched 'Year One', is there a single Jack Black film where he doesn't stand in front of a cheering crowd at the end making a "hey, I'm a great guy!" speech and then get the girl? Is it written into his fucking contracts or something?
                    Mars Attacks?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Having just watched 'Year One', is there a single Jack Black film where he doesn't stand in front of a cheering crowd at the end making a "hey, I'm a great guy!" speech and then get the girl? Is it written into his fucking contracts or something?
                      Anchorman. Shouts, kicks dog into river, leaves.

Comment

High Fidelity.

I guess it depends on the definition of "a Jack Black film".

Comment

I can't say I'm a fan at all, though his performanbce in Bernie was indeed very good. But I hear that he is an exceptionally nice man, unlike so many of his peers, so I'll not lay the hate on him.

Comment

Bernie is one of the best films I've seen in the past decade, especially (and this is without giving anything away) the segue into the "76 Trombones" scene.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Also Jack Black > Jack White
                              Er no he isn't, and that's a very silly thing to say.

Comment

Leaving aside the antiquated tedium of his music, Jack White's a violent prick.

Comment

Coincidentally, they showed the recent Gulliver's Travels movie last night with JB in the title role. We caught the last ten minutes waiting for our programme (really) and it looked horrendous. He was having a showdown fight with what looked like a huge Transformer while King Billy Connolly and a croud watched.

Once JB won (obviously) he did some kind of rock star thing while all the Lilliputians grooved in front of him (the TV was on mute). Pretty close to the contract terms I reckon.

Finally, a la Kate Winslet, the staggeringly fetching Amanda Peet (as the only other human/ huge person present), appeared totally exultant to have landed Gulliver/Jack.

Comment

Ah! angel musiciens I forgot that breed still existed.

While I have not liked White's since the Stripes , distortion and noise is what I like in my antiquated tastes.

Comment

Tropic thunder, School of Rock and Kung Fu Panda are all rad, so he's alright by me.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                        Also Jack Black > Jack White
                                        School of Rock > that football chant song.

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: Leaving aside the antiquated tedium of his music, Jack White's a violent prick.
                                          Really? How so? I haven't heard anything about this.

While I have not liked White's since the Stripes , distortion and noise is what I like in my antiquated tastes.
                                          There is far better music with distortion and noise. I point you, if you aren't already aware of them, to Shellac.

Comment

evilC wrote: I don't find much of his stuff funny, but 'Nacho Libre' is just wonderful silliness! I think I chuckled constantly, the whole way through.
                                            I liked Libre too, until he does that song towards the end, and suddenly the character changes in to the real Jack Black. In the Gulliver film he appears to have been given carte blanche to give the character his own interpretation, and the whole thing is a complete fucking disaster.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                              Also Jack Black > Jack White
                                              Oh yes he is.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: Ah! angel musiciens I forgot that breed still existed.
                                                No one's asking him to be an "angel", just not to unprovokedly beat the shit out of people.

Comment

Seriously, can we have the background to this? I am not doubting you, I just don't know the story.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X