The LEGO Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LEGO Movie

I saw two movies this weeked: American Hustle and the Lego Movie. One movie had me on the edge of my seat, was completely inventive, well acted, had an emotional punch, and left me walking out of the movie overjoyed. The other movie was American Hustle.

The LEGO Movie - ****

Anyone in their right mind who saw a preview for this or even just saw the name would think it would be a horrible corporate synergy cross-promotion 90-minute long commercial of a movie. It probably should be--something called "The LEGO Movie" has no business being as good as this is.

It's well acted--Chris Pratt has perfected the lovable dumb guy performance as Andy on Parks & Rec, and Morgan Freeman seems to be having a lot of fun doing a performance making fun of Morgan Freeman performances. But it's not just an excuse to have fun for the people involved--there's a good story with a nice twist that changes directions and had me getting a bit misty after laughing all before that.

It may be a bit sappy at the end, and the ad that you've been waiting for does eventually appear, but everything that's come before excuses it. It doesn't try to outdo Pixar, but it has a bit of a different message than Toy Story does, and the lesson it tries to teach is a bit contradictory from a lot of LEGO philosophy nowadays. Really, do yourself a favor and go see it.

The LEGO Movie

This movie has crazy good buzz, like Pixar at the top of its game level buzz.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

The wife and daughter saw it. My wife made a fb post about the gallons of tears she shed at the end, and she said there's no possible way I wouldn't like it.

Once I heard it compared favorably as a sort of modern-day Roger Rabbit, I knew I had to see it.

What was funny was this past summer we went camping with a two families. The kids were in the lake with kickboards. They each pretended they were flying creatures, so the first boy said "I'm Fire Dragon !"
      The next said "I'm Poison Viper !"
      The third said "I'm Dragon Fire !"
      Then my daughter screamed "I'm Unicorn Cat !"

I'll leave it to Inc to figure out what character she's been drawing and pretending to be over the past month.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Incandenza wrote:

The LEGO Movie - ****

Anyone in their right mind who saw a preview for this or even just saw the name would think it would be a horrible corporate synergy cross-promotion 90-minute long commercial of a movie.
        To be honest, this looked a winner just from the trailer. I am not surprised at the excellent reviews it is getting.

I am having to ban my wife from taking the children until the weekend when I can come along too as it's half term.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Mark Kermode was very complimentary about it and Will Arnett as Batman is a winner for me. Might see it tonight.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Harry Truscott wrote:
            Originally posted by Incandenza

The LEGO Movie - ****

Anyone in their right mind who saw a preview for this or even just saw the name would think it would be a horrible corporate synergy cross-promotion 90-minute long commercial of a movie.
            To be honest, this looked a winner just from the trailer. I am not surprised at the excellent reviews it is getting.
            Maybe. If I had known it was the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs guys, I would have been more hopeful.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

TLMG and I are going on Friday evening. Can't wait.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Saw it last weekend too and, Inca's right, it's great and also different enough from any other kids film out there at the moment. Very witty, and I know there are lots of gags that I missed as it's very fast-paced. Maybe too fast-paced at times but that's probably just me and I'm not exactly target audience. Either way, it'll definitely be worth another watch.

[sp]SPOILERStags[sp]

A few random things - the anal-retentive Lego Dad near the end, played by Ron Burgundy. I know someone just like him. In fact I texted his daughter right after the film, informing her that I'd just seen her Dad on screen.

I had that 80s Lego Spaceman! Which I'd completely forgotten about until seeing the film. I'm sure there are lots of other examples of Lego toys from varying eras in the film if you know your stuff.

Finally, when did Lego get big in the States? I always thought of it as a very European toy, I don't know why.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Jon...maywannaputsomeSPOILERStags

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Sorry, jv. Edited accordingly.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Growing up in the 80s, Legos (sorry, we call them Legos here) were really big. I think they got big in the late 1970s.

This was interesting, this got shared around a lot in recent weeks:

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/girl-famous-1981-lego-ad-has-few-things-say-about-todays-gendered-toys-155795

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Over the years I've been exposed to Lego Batman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter video games and other assorted cartoons (Ninjago, for example), because of the kids, like.

There's no way that this movie isn't going to be great for kids and adluts alike.

..and to think it used to be just a bunch of blocks used for building crap buildings.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Incandenza wrote: Growing up in the 80s, Legos (sorry, we call them Legos here) were really big.
                          You're thinking of Duplo.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Hah!

Comment

The LEGO Movie

RobW wrote: Mark Kermode was very complimentary about it and Will Arnett as Batman is a winner for me. Might see it tonight.
                              Batman was brilliant, if only for getting the phrase 'bon vivants' into a kids' film.

I loved this. Went to see it with my girlfriend and her daughter and embarrassed them both because I was laughing so loudly.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

You failed to live up to your name?

Comment

The LEGO Movie

If Bury ever move to a new ground, we'll have to site it on Guffaw Lane.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

This is a delight from start to finish. Go and see it.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

I can concur.

Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this. A really clever film, with so many in-jokes ("Middle Zealand") you barely keep up.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Also, THE most definitive Batman performance ever seen on celluloid.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Incandenza

The LEGO Movie - ****

I am having to ban my wife from taking the children until the weekend when I can come along too as it's half term.

It lived up to my expectations. I thought it was excellent as did my wife and three children who are all LEGO-obsessives (I hate the the stuff as I am crap with my hands and also because I always step on it). It's particularly gratifying that it's clearly influenced by the classic 'They Live'.

Batman's song is wonderful and it's worth staying for the credits to hear full length/alternate versions of it and Mark Mothersbaugh's other tunes.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

This film has been selected for an ASD friendly viewing at my local ‘flicks’.

As my lad loves his Lego we’re going to take him along and see how he gets on. It will be the first time he will have been to a cinema.

Reading the posts on here I’m rather looking forward to it. If he gets agitated and walks out I’ll probably stay to watch.

Comment

The LEGO Movie

Until now I'd only seen billboard ads for this.

After reading this thread I am deeply annoyed that I'll have to wait for it to hit Netflix before I'm able to watch it (because being a childrens' film, the only option for going to see it here will be to see it dubbed, and fuck that).

Comment

After a bit of a slow start that caused me some concerns (which might have been caused/exacerbated by some slight sound issues in the cinema I saw it in which got fixed after a while) I can report that the sequel does not let down the franchise (well, not Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie, I didn't go as far as seeing the Ninjago Movie though I've heard good things).

Excellent script, visuals, voice cast and cameos.

Comment

My son is freaking obsessed with Ninjago. He actually seems to go through life believing he is Lloyd (the Green Ninja). I actually kind of like the Ninjago movie best out of all the Lego movies (the Netflix series isn't dreadful either)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X