Goodbye, Golden Girl's Mum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estelle Getty has died at 84 years of age.

I thought she was what made Golden Girls funny.

Would it be fair to say that this was the lowest point of Sly Stallone's career?

Comment

There speaks a man who's never watched Cobra or Over The Top . . .

Comment

True. I defer to your greater wisdom.

Comment

That poster looked the business on my bedroom wall in the 80's though.

Anyway, so Estelle Getty was only in her early sixties when the Golden Girls started then? It's like Clive Dunn being only 40-odd when he did Dad's Army.

Comment

The computer game of Cobra wasn't bad, actually.

Comment

I always thought Robert Smith should have been given the title role. "You're the disease... and I'm The Cure."

Comment

I actually think that that is Estelle Getty's career lowpoint much like when Danny DeVito lost it when he teamed up with Schwarzenegger

Comment

Mitch wrote:
                  Anyway, so Estelle Getty was only in her early sixties when the Golden Girls started then? It's like Clive Dunn being only 40-odd when he did Dad's Army.
                  Yes. She was turned down twice for the role because she looked too young to play an 80 year old woman. So she auditioned a third time, but dressed in frumpy clothes and had the makeup artist age her and she got the part.

I remember being fascinated at the time that she was so much younger than her character.

Comment

Yeah, Anne Bancroft in The Graduate is another. I think she was only a year or two older than Dustin Hoffman.

Let alone Angelina Jolie playing Colin Farrell's mum in Alexander...

Comment

Estelle Getty was a year younger than the woman who played her daughter in The Golden Girls.

Comment

Yeah, Anne Bancroft in The Graduate is another. I think she was only a year or two older than Dustin Hoffman.
                        I think that was more to do with the fact that Hoffman was far older than his character was meant to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X